FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #2,027 of 6,207
Ref the musicality discussion, and digital becoming more "musical" in a way that some us remember from vinyl etc:
This is as much due to current recording trends as it is the digital technology. Music producers, mixers and mastering professionals are deliberately adding effects to make new music sound more like older music. This is achieved in a range of ways, from using software that adds "tape saturation" or "distressors", or even running digitally recorded through old tape equipment to achieve the same effect.
I'm all for it, as I like the warmth of a tube amp (whether with my guitars or my DAPs), so this general trend towards warming music up - basically EQ'Ing and deliberately adding a small and pleasant amount of distortion, seems to work for many of our ears. Certainly preferable to a dry, 100% clinical digital sound (for listening to bands anyway).

On topic: I picked up my X7II this week, having traded up from an X5iii and previously an Onkyo DP-X1. The X7II's balanced out is massively improved from the X5iii's fairly mediocre balanced output, and there is a definite warmth and 'musicality' in the X7III that was lacking in the overly thick (but not really warm or musical)-sounding X5iii. In fact it's as good - or better (more separation, wider soundstage, more clarity, nice balance across the frequency spectrum) with some music - than the Onkyo's balanced out. I needed my ALO CDM with the X5iii, and it still sounds good with the new model, but I'm also happy with the X7iii by itself.

PS: listening mainly to Tidal offline and using either JH Audio Angie universals or Earsonics Velvet universals.

I am wondering when FiiO released X7 III.....just kidding......enjoy your X7 II:)

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #2,028 of 6,207
20170803_231333.jpg

Ther Digital Design are awesome with the X7. Cheap too. Can buy a balanced cable for it if you are into that...as I clearly am :wink:

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2,030 of 6,207
Hi All

Are any of you using closed back headphones? If so, which ones are you using?

Regards

Darren
I like using my X7 MKII with my B&W P9’s. They have wonderful tone with the X7 MKII. I’ve also tried them with my D7200’s and the Z1R’s. The D7200’s are reference sounding headphones with great bass with the AM3A module I thought was to neutral for them. With the AM5 module the D7200’s excelled. The Z1R’s seem to favor the AM3A module. These two together made for a really interesting musical experience.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,035 of 6,207
Does anyone know if the X7II will ever be capable of USB audio output? Is it a possibility for a future firmware update? I haven't heard anything about it in a while.
FiiO still says they're working on it. Supposed to be enabled in a future firmware update. Just have to wait and see. I'd like to use it as a digital transport for multiple audio setups.
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,037 of 6,207
Dear friend,

And you have selected the optical output by pulling down the status bar, right? The light won't come out even when playing the song? Will the optical icon appear in the status bar? The coaxial output works correct or not?

Best regards

Thanks for the reply. When I plug in the L12S or the COAX Cable I only get the headphone indicator. It does NOT display COAX or Optical when I change the setting in the pull down OR in app.

Thanks,

Matt

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,038 of 6,207
Thanks for the reply. When I plug in the L12S or the COAX Cable I only get the headphone indicator. It does NOT display COAX or Optical when I change the setting in the pull down OR in app.

Thanks,

Matt

Never Mind....I'm at fault. I didn't realize there was a dedicated line out! I was using the headphone jack!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,040 of 6,207
Never Mind....I'm at fault. I didn't realize there was a dedicated line out! I was using the headphone jack!

He He ... Lucky guy the whole thing didn’t explode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back