FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Sep 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,012 of 6,207
X7 II in the house. I don't want to break anything so what is the process to install SD card. Insert tool in hole and pry?
no "pry" simply push

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,014 of 6,207
Thanks for the replies to all. It's a rather hard push. Was afraid it would do damage. No issue. Up and running. Got my balanced cable for the SE846's today as well.

So far, better than the X5 II.

All is good.

Now to install some new players..............

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #2,015 of 6,207
Picked up my X7II today and it works as expected, but I was trying to connect the optical out to my Chord Mojo and it doesn't seem to work. I have switched the X7II to fibre and plugged in my Fiio L12S (3.5mm to 3.5mm short optical cable) and then into a 3.5mm to Toslink adapter. Before we jump on the adapter as an issue, it has worked before with other devices, and if I unplug the Mojo end there is no visible light from the output end of the L12S.

Any ideas? Have I missed a step? OTG works great, but I wanted to compare the optical out.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #2,016 of 6,207
Picked up my X7II today and it works as expected, but I was trying to connect the optical out to my Chord Mojo and it doesn't seem to work. I have switched the X7II to fibre and plugged in my Fiio L12S (3.5mm to 3.5mm short optical cable) and then into a 3.5mm to Toslink adapter. Before we jump on the adapter as an issue, it has worked before with other devices, and if I unplug the Mojo end there is no visible light from the output end of the L12S.

Any ideas? Have I missed a step? OTG works great, but I wanted to compare the optical out.
im not sure this will help but have you change the setting in audio setting e.g(DoP,D2P....etc)?

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,017 of 6,207
im not sure this will help but have you change the setting in audio setting e.g(DoP,D2P....etc)?

I did try that. I've changed the setting in app and on the main pull down menu.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #2,018 of 6,207
Ref the musicality discussion, and digital becoming more "musical" in a way that some us remember from vinyl etc:
This is as much due to current recording trends as it is the digital technology. Music producers, mixers and mastering professionals are deliberately adding effects to make new music sound more like older music. This is achieved in a range of ways, from using software that adds "tape saturation" or "distressors", or even running digitally recorded through old tape equipment to achieve the same effect.
I'm all for it, as I like the warmth of a tube amp (whether with my guitars or my DAPs), so this general trend towards warming music up - basically EQ'Ing and deliberately adding a small and pleasant amount of distortion, seems to work for many of our ears. Certainly preferable to a dry, 100% clinical digital sound (for listening to bands anyway).

On topic: I picked up my X7II this week, having traded up from an X5iii and previously an Onkyo DP-X1. The X7II's balanced out is massively improved from the X5iii's fairly mediocre balanced output, and there is a definite warmth and 'musicality' in the X7II that was lacking in the overly thick (but not really warm or musical)-sounding X5iii. In fact it's as good - or better (more separation, wider soundstage, more clarity, nice balance across the frequency spectrum) with some music - than the Onkyo's balanced out. I needed my ALO CDM with the X5iii, and it still sounds good with the new model, but I'm also happy with the X7iii by itself.

PS: listening mainly to Tidal offline and using either JH Audio Angie universals or Earsonics Velvet universals.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,019 of 6,207
I've noticed that Tidal has stuttering when playing offline for a while. Unfortunate. Hopefully FiiO and Tidal can figure it out. I personally don't use it (I activated trial for testing), but it'd be nice to see it fixed for everyone else's sake.

I'm getting that with the X7II and had the same thing with the X5iii. Possibly the Onkyo before that.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,020 of 6,207
Also happens with the Cayin i5. Seems to be a Tidal and some Android devices thing.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,021 of 6,207
[...] The X7II's balanced out is massively improved from the X5iii's fairly mediocre balanced output, [...]

I also compared X5iii balanced out with X7 1st balanced and got to the same conclusion - so with X7ii, the words "massively improved" are no suprise for me. I think @FiiO did a great job with X7ii balancing a neutral and revealing sound signature with dynamics thru the whole spectrum, without a need to color this or that to make it shine - its everything there with naturality *

* Disclosure: With my IEM; with selected tracks; IMHO; for my taste :o2smile:

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,023 of 6,207

Dear friend,

And you have selected the optical output by pulling down the status bar, right? The light won't come out even when playing the song? Will the optical icon appear in the status bar? The coaxial output works correct or not?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,025 of 6,207
Hi All

Are any of you using closed back headphones? If so, which ones are you using?

Regards

Darren

Audeze LCD-XC if you have a strong neck, though your Meze 99c will be hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back