FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #15,107 of 18,020

The new update seems to have stabilized the player with regards to scanning and music selection. Did anyone get a reading on the up sampling? It sounds fine to me but I have no way to measure it.

According to the colour display on my Chord Hugo the X7 is playing tracks at the correct sampling rates.

Good! It sounds excellent. Thanks for the reply.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #15,108 of 18,020
I've read many many pages of this thread.  I have just two questions.

1) is there a FW release that makes the X7 a stable (enough) DAP for a day-to-day listening device?  

2) Is this DAP worth buying now?

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #15,109 of 18,020

1) is there a FW release that makes the X7 a stable (enough) DAP for a day-to-day listening device?  

1) Yes, FW2.0 is stable enough

2) My honest answer for you, (and i'm making this clear that this is my opinion only)
- SQ wise, love it! but again this is very subjective - worth buying the X7
- Interface/Firmware - if you're very particular on this, then i would say no. not worth it for now.
- If you can still wait for other dap release, then don't buy the X7 and wait for them 1st so that you'll have more options
- how are you going to use the X7 - i mean only as dap? pure transport? paired together with other items? as desktop dac only? etc... - this one will now purely be done with much research and your decision on your part (but we can still help :) )

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #15,110 of 18,020

IMHO...

1) Yes. As @karloil said, FW2.0 is pretty stable and FW3.0.6 is stable enough for "day-to-day" listening (X7 + wired phones) ... and for a lot of other things too.
2) Yes for two reasons: a) Since you can buy it cheaper from some unhappy owners ... be quick because price will rise with the final FW3 ... LOL... b) because I don't see other options, existing or coming, that sound as good as X7 in its price range.

Regards

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #15,111 of 18,020
Just joined Head-Fi, a long time stalker but never feel like posting anything until now.

I just received my X7 with M3 from Amazon last three days ago. I have a Dp-x1 but I do not like its sound signature. I purchased a Fiio E12 before but did not use it often after getting the Mojo. I like T1's balanced sound and was expecting DP-X1 can provide a more detailed Treble like what Mojo does when paired with my T8ie MK II except it does not meet my expectation. It is too warm to me. I tried to use EQ but it helps little and unnatural to me an their EQ although very flexible is very hard to use.

After getting a X7, I upgraded to FW 3.0.6 beta right away and found it stable enough for most apps. The sound is exactly like what I expected. I like the combination of X7-M3 and T8ie MKII. I have been listening to it for about 8 hours a day and am very happy.

I have a few questions though. When I stream from my NAS to X7, there are strong electromagnetic interference. Is this normal or it is because I am using a beta firmware? It also gets warm when listening to 24bit/96khz flacs. Is it normal?

Thanks for your help.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #15,112 of 18,020

IMHO...

1) Yes. As @karloil said, FW2.0 is pretty stable and FW3.0.6 is stable enough for "day-to-day" listening (X7 + wired phones) ... and for a lot of other things too.
2) Yes for two reasons: a) Since you can buy it cheaper from some unhappy owners ... be quick because price will rise with the final FW3 ... LOL... b) because I don't see other options, existing or comming, that sound as good as X7 in its price range.

Regards

I hope you're right about the final FW3.  Hopefully they'll get the media scan working correctly with all sd cards.  I have confidence they will but I hope it doesn't take them months.
FW2.0 is pretty good if you don't get the constant barrage of Google Play Services has stopped message.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #15,113 of 18,020
  I hope you're right about the final FW3.  Hopefully they'll get the media scan working correctly with all sd cards.  I have confidence they will but I hope it doesn't take them months.
FW2.0 is pretty good if you don't get the constant barrage of Google Play Services has stopped message.

Scanning media is working fine with my 128Gb and 200Gb cards, no problem with FW3.0.6

A few days ago I posted a problem scanning my 128Gb card, scan ended with a "Sorry, an error ocurred..." - the track count was correct but no album art was displayed. I started scanning folder by folder and got to the problematic file (FLAC) - checked ID3 tags, etc. and couldn't fix it after a few atempts I deleted it from card for later inspection... (it was ok with ALL previous FW's).

But Betas are just that ... betas. 
redface.gif

I'm still intrigued by FiiO when they said they wouldn't post more public betas on head-fi and to go to Fiio.Net forums for updates ... but where? nothing is happening there concerning updated X7 public betas.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #15,114 of 18,020

Scanning media is working fine with my 128Gb and 200Gb cards, no problem with FW3.0.6

A few days ago I posted a problem scanning my 128Gb card, scan ended with a "Sorry, an error ocurred..." - the track count was correct but no album art was displayed. I started scanning folder by folder and got to the problematic file (FLAC) - checked ID3 tags, etc. and couldn't fix it after a few atempts I deleted it from card for later inspection... (it was ok with ALL previous FW's).

redface.gif

I'm still intrigued by FiiO when they said they wouldn't post more public betas on head-fi and to go to Fiio.Net forums for updates ... but where? nothing is happening there concerning updated X7 public betas.

My 200Gb card is not working.  It works fine in all my other DAPs.  I've reformatted it several times.  I've checked the card in windows and it has no errors.  When I do a media scan I don't get any errors but it only finds 300 of the roughly 8900 files on the card.  When I go to file view it sees all the folders and files but they won't play.  I know of a few other people with the same problem.

Yeah it baffles me about the public betas on head-fi and the lack of a dedicated thread on FiiO.net.  I posted there a couple days ago asking where the thread is to post feedback about the beta firmware but fiio hasn't replied.  They have been posting in other threads so I know they saw my post.

Edit:  One other thing I forgot to mention.  When I go into recovery it reports that it failed to mount the external sd card.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #15,115 of 18,020

redface.gif

Re your last sentence.  I have looked at the FiiO Forum page and all I can say is, it's a total mess.  How is anyone supposed to find anything.  All the models are jumbled up and some sections have all the various models in one section.  It would be far better if they had specific sections for each model. (with a sub section for Betas and firmware updates)

I can understand why FiiO have found it necessary to take this action, with certain posters expressing bile and vitriol towards them, and threatening to sell their DAP etc, all because they impatient and/or don't understand what a Beta is.

It's a pity that we all have to be punished for the actions of a few.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #15,116 of 18,020

Short answer is yes and yes. Allow me to elaborate:
1) I'm running 2.0 and it's good enough for my purposes. Sure, it has a number of issues (lack of gapless, weird behavior when using EQ alongside the FIIO remote control), but the base functionality of playing music is there.
2) I think it's worth it, but it may depend on what your personal use case. I use it on the go - in between my desktop setup and the office and for any other escapades, so I like having an all-in-one solution. I tried running it strapped to a MOJO, but the marginal performance gain wasn't worth the bulkiness for me.
  1. The modular design is very smart - you pick the amp module you think will suit your listening device best. In my case that's the excellent Custom Art Harmony 8.2 CIEM and I'm using the AM2 amp. Going to give AM3 w/ balanced cables a try too in the coming days.
  2. I like the weight and its sturdiness. I ride around a lot -- actually got hit by a Comcast van a few days ago and this thing is still in one piece.
  3. The UI is good enough.
  4. Storage is sufficient (32GB internal + SD card - I'm using 200GB w/o any problems)

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #15,117 of 18,020
edit

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 8, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #15,118 of 18,020

I can't say I'm surprised. This wouldn't have happened if people approached testing beta FW maturely and provided objective feedback. Oh well.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #15,119 of 18,020

You might want to check this list:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/824174/known-bugs-issues-with-latest-x7-firmware

If none of these items apply to you, I'd totally pull the trigger. I personally find 3.0.6beta better than FW 2.0, but YMMV if you ticked any of those boxes in the above list of bugs/issues.
I think the X7 is great value and love its LO into my KSE1500 (its DAC and LO is every bit as good to my ears as that of the AK380). HO is a bit more complicated, because it will depend on what headphones you have and which amp module you choose. (The amp modules are susceptible to RFI noise from its own WiFi radio. I work around that by downloading from Google Play Music and then disabling WiFi.) I have am1 and am2 amps and found one curious thing - am1 sounds great on my high-sensitivity IEMs, but has a little bit of a noise floor. am2 sounds a little richer, though maybe not quite as detailed, but has a much, much quieter noise floor than am1. I totally didn't expect that (can anybody with high-sensitivity IEMs confirm this?).

There are a lot of complaints on this thread (some quite legitimate), but I don't know of another DAP that can rival the X7 for its combination of price, SQ and features.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #15,120 of 18,020
Re your last sentence.  I have looked at the FiiO Forum page and all I can say is, it's a total mess.  How is anyone supposed to find anything.  All the models are jumbled up and some sections have all the various models in one section.  It would be far better if they had specific sections for each model. (with a sub section for Betas and firmware updates)

I can understand why FiiO have found it necessary to take this action, with certain posters expressing bile and vitriol towards them, and threatening to sell their DAP etc, all because they impatient and/or don't understand what a Beta is.

It's a pity that we all have to be punished for the actions of a few.

I'm one of those users who got fed up participating with Beta - and yes I understand what Beta is. Yes at one point I also was on the verge deciding to sell my X7 - but I changed my mind to wait for the final Android 5.X release.

But don't tell me at any one point you didn't get disappointed, even by just a little bit with all that's happening. I can already cite one example - which you pointed out that the forums are a mess.

I like FiiO and that's why i post all the feedback in quite a number of their threads - my feedback is to merely point out the areas of improvement that they can do towards their support and product. Now if they decided to not comment on our feedback - then it's their decision not to do so and I'm sure they have a very good reason in doing so

So for now, I will try be contented with the current firmware, i hope a few more will do. I made my voice heard and now I'm stepping back and will just wait for the final SW release. we are "not being punished by the actions of a few" - well if you look it that way then i can't blame you. I may be part of that reason. but my intentions were true and voiced coming from a customer who want's to be fully proud of the device that he purchased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back