FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 4, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #15,076 of 18,020

b) I use a protective cover on Fiio X7 it impossible to fit the upper dock. In order to not have to remove it constantly I'd like to be able to connect the FiiO X7 not through the upper dock, but through the door "DOCK IN". But the problem is that the cable supplied with Fiio X7 is not compatible.

If you are up for it, there was a long discussion on this thread a few months ago among people who had altered the top door and stand mechanism of the K5 for just this reason. Maybe a search (yikes! 1005 pages...) would help locate it. Or those people who took this on might reply?

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #15,077 of 18,020

If you are up for it, there was a long discussion on this thread a few months ago among people who had altered the top door and stand mechanism of the K5 for just this reason. Maybe a search (yikes! 1005 pages...) would help locate it. Or those people who took this on might reply?

The most effective and simple solution, the one i imagine FiiO thought when designed K5 is ... take out X7 case. I remember those posts but really... ??? I don't think it worths the trouble.

Regards

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #15,079 of 18,020
  How is fiio x7 comparing to ak300? Fiio wins right? :)

I have the AK300 from a couple of weeks, they are both wonderful.
Soundwise FiiO to my ears is more "precise" while AK more musical.
AK is very beautiful in photos but has sharp edges when you hold it in your hands, case is mandatory. FiiO is a very nice brick, slightly swedish design, the interface is more cluttered than AK.
You won't chose the wrong one, they are both excellent players.

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #15,080 of 18,020

Just got the Momentum, confirmed, they work and a nice apt-X logo pops up when they connect to confirm it. Though I switched the X7 bluetooth off and back on and no aptX (but I had bluetooth connection), Momentum off and then on aptX ok...weird!

Yes I get that sometimes and in the Fiio player, it crashes the player but it has done since FW 2.0

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #15,081 of 18,020

I have the AK300 from a couple of weeks, they are both wonderful.
Soundwise FiiO to my ears is more "precise" while AK more musical.
AK is very beautiful in photos but has sharp edges when you hold it in your hands, case is mandatory. FiiO is a very nice brick, slightly swedish design, the interface is more cluttered than AK.
You won't chose the wrong one, they are both excellent players.

If those are the biggest differences between the two then I'm very happy with the $$$ saved sticking to my Fiio

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #15,082 of 18,020
  If you have a PC, most people seem to have success if the card is formatted to ex-fat.

There seems to be a bug with some versions of the FW 3.xxx BETA firmware which can prevent all of the files being read.  FiiO are aware of it.

If you have not bought the card yet, (I presume it would be a Sandisk), make sure you get it from a reputable dealer such as Amazon (NOT Amazon Marketplace), 
or My Memory.  There are a lot of fakes about.

this firm sandisc is fake?

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #15,087 of 18,020
Where did they post it was the cards fault?  

Btw, something I experience a long ago and its still there, although with a simple turnaround:

- Don't scan music is pure music mode, do it on Android mode. In my case either with internal memory or cards, if I scan music on pure mode it only detects a few tracks.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #15,089 of 18,020
You're welcome.

No, it is the other way around--you only need a regular USB cable to connect to the back of the K5, which would send USB audio signals into the K5. This signal is forwarded to the X7 through the dock, (or X3II / X5II / E17K) for the docked device to decode. The resulting analog signal is sent back out from the docked device into the K5 through the extra pins in the 11pin "micro USB" dock back to the K5 for amplification. Thus if you use a regular USB interconnect / extension cable here you'd get no sound out of the K5.

I am quite sure of this because I was working for FiiO when the K5 was launched and translated its manual and promotional material.

While we're at it--make sure not to connect the USB cable from the computer / smartphone / HiFi / whatever to the micro USB "Dock In" port at the back instead of the large USB In port next to it. As explained above the dock port (of which there are two, one at the top, one at the back, only difference is one is male, one is female) is designed to forward, i.e. output USB digital audio signals to e.g. the X7. The K5 is liable to go kaput if you feed a USB digital audio signal *into* the dock port at the back. There may or may not be a warning sticker about this on said micro USB Dock In port at the back.

Thank you again for your kind attention.

I'm using K5 exactly as you described: I connect my Fiio X7 in the top docking and plugo the USB cable into the "USB IN" back, which connects to my computer. Everything works perfectly in this way: I put Fiio X7 in DAC mode and broadcast the music from my computer to the dock.

My problem is that I use a protective cover on my X7 Fiio, and every time I want to use it connected to K5 I need to remove the cover.

The back door micro USB K5 called "DOCK IN" is precisely to this kind of situation, is not it? Everything would be as it is (port "USB IN" connecting the K5 to my PC), but instead of plugging my Fiio X7 in the top docking, I would plug it in "DOCK IN" using a micro usb cable.

This is how it works, right? But where I can find a micro USB cable 11 pin with two male connectors?

I'll post some pictures that I think will help:

a) This is the way I use the Fiio X7 (DAC mode) plugged into the K5. Notice that I remove the Fiio X7 protective cover of Fiio X7 for plugs it to the top dock. My PC is connected to K5 through "USB IN" port.

b) I use a protective cover on Fiio X7 it impossible to fit the upper dock. In order to not have to remove it constantly I'd like to be able to connect the FiiO X7 not through the upper dock, but through the door "DOCK IN". But the problem is that the cable supplied with Fiio X7 is not compatible.

c) Alternatively, I wonder if I can use an adapter that converts the micro USB port to USB standard. I still have not tested for fear of causing a problem to the device. 

That is my biggest question: I can do this?

This is the adapter cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICRO-USB-CABLE-MALE-HOST-TO-USB-FEMALE-OTG-ADAPTER-ANDROID-TABLET-PHONE-PDA-PC-/321955491110

Thanks again for the help!

I don't know about damaging the K5 (probably not) but neither the OTG cable shown nor the USB cable that came with the X7 have the 11 pins required to get audio to the K5.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #15,090 of 18,020
For those of you who haven't turned on your little wonder of technology today there is yet another firmware update out. It is a OTA build issued Friday and has all the usual faults as the last three did. Plus it has a few new ones.

Reboot causes an OS crash that requires a hard reset.
WiFi now takes 20 minutes to download a 6MB file.
And the Marketplace is still in Chinese.

I thought the reason we went to the next OS release was because it was more stable and easier to work on. With each dev build the new release is becoming more unstable, not less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back