FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 5, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #15,091 of 18,020
  For those of you who haven't turned on your little wonder of technology today there is yet another firmware update out. It is a OTA build issued Friday and has all the usual faults as the last three did. Plus it has a few new ones.

Reboot causes an OS crash that requires a hard reset.
WiFi now takes 20 minutes to download a 6MB file.
And the Marketplace is still in Chinese.

I thought the reason we went to the next OS release was because it was more stable and easier to work on. With each dev build the new release is becoming more unstable, not less.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of beta firmware, beta means not yet ready. However Fiio released the firmware for testing purposes, for those of us that wanted to see it early and help report bugs found within the software.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #15,092 of 18,020
You don't seem to understand the meaning of beta firmware, beta means not yet ready. However Fiio released the firmware for testing purposes, for those of us that wanted to see it early and help report bugs found within the software.

I agree with your definition of beta, however it should be a two way process, we report faults they tell us what has been fixed in the next release and we retest. Currently new betas are "thrown over the wall" with no clues as to what has been addressed or whether what we report is a bug or not. No wonder frustration continues to increase.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #15,093 of 18,020
  For those of you who haven't turned on your little wonder of technology today there is yet another firmware update out. It is a OTA build issued Friday and has all the usual faults as the last three did. Plus it has a few new ones.

Reboot causes an OS crash that requires a hard reset.
WiFi now takes 20 minutes to download a 6MB file.
And the Marketplace is still in Chinese.

I thought the reason we went to the next OS release was because it was more stable and easier to work on. With each dev build the new release is becoming more unstable, not less.

I guess you are having more issues than most, I would hardly describe the betas as unstable. All my apps play fine and fiio music hasnt crashed on my lately. And why would you use fiio marketplace when they include the google play store? I am confused

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #15,094 of 18,020
Anyone that is using FW3.0.6 please try using USB Audio Player and see if it is all distorted.  No matter what I do it is distorted.  Whether that be play local files or Tidal through it.

I agree with  @JHutchins a beta program is a two way street.  We need to know what bugs are there, what FiiO has attempted to correct in each update and what they would like tested.  I've owned an android phone since the first Samsung S1.  The most successful developers list know issues and with each release list what they fixed and what they need testing.  @JamesFiiO  if you want your beta program to be a success please consider structuring it this way.  It will help you and keep your users more informed.

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #15,095 of 18,020
8+ pages on and we're once again explaining what 'beta' means?

I do agree though, that FiiO should do release announcement BEFORE or at same time as release.

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #15,096 of 18,020
These are not beta releases. If anything they are alphas. They have little or no shine on them and prove nothing to anyone hence the total lack of feedback. As far as I can see they are released just to say they are releasing something. Anything. As I have said before all of this should have been done long before the X7 went on sale in the first place. That fact alone should show all of you who we are dealing with. The sycophant lemming attitude is irrational. Telling a mugger you love him won't help you. Firm pressure might but I wouldn't hold my breath. Either way I am Casper

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #15,097 of 18,020
Hello guys,
Can anybody help me to tune the foobar for X7 in order to receive the best quality out of DSD, high res. files and usual audio formats in general? Basically, how do I tune the foobar in order to maximize the quality of sound using X7 as an external DAC?

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #15,098 of 18,020
Just a reminder that we have a dedicated thread to list known bugs/issues with the latest X7 firmware:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/824174/known-bugs-issues-with-latest-x7-firmware

If you have an issue, please post there to let us know about it, or to vote on your (least?!) favorite existing/known bug :wink:

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #15,099 of 18,020
Just a reminder that we have a dedicated thread to list known bugs/issues with the latest X7 firmware:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/824174/known-bugs-issues-with-latest-x7-firmware

If you have an issue, please post there to let us know about it, or to vote on your (least?!) favorite existing/known bug :wink:

Not sure it really matters now since fiio posted they will no longer be listing beta firmware on Head-Fi.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #15,100 of 18,020
Not sure it really matters now since fiio posted they will no longer be listing beta firmware on Head-Fi.

That doesn't prevent us from discussing X7 firmware issues on headfi. The idea of that dedicated thread is to maintain a master list of all known issues, to allow X7 users to quickly see if a problem they're having is a known firmware bug.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #15,103 of 18,020
  These are not beta releases. If anything they are alphas. They have little or no shine on them and prove nothing to anyone hence the total lack of feedback. As far as I can see they are released just to say they are releasing something. Anything. As I have said before all of this should have been done long before the X7 went on sale in the first place. That fact alone should show all of you who we are dealing with. The sycophant lemming attitude is irrational. Telling a mugger you love him won't help you. Firm pressure might but I wouldn't hold my breath. Either way I am Casper

Is it really necessary to spew sarcasm and accusations in every other post? Does it make you feel better? Do you think it will motivate FIIO to build better software?

I have an advice for you. Sell the X7, get yourself a nice shiny iphone. It's got a really nice, polished FW called IOS. If it ever locks up or malfunctions, people building these provide special places where you can go to and complain and whine all you want. These special places are called apple stores. If you're lucky, you'll find one close to a mcdonalds, so you can get some chicken tendies on your way to or from.

You're welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back