FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
May 7, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #11,626 of 18,020
You, er, push the volume + button?
tongue.gif
Sorry for the fancy language
tongue.gif
What I meant was that with these settings the volume would go down when you engage the EQ and back up when you disengage and this is normal.

Lol, alright, understood! Thanks, Joe! Well, I really might enjoy this eq thing. Looks like it´s much easier with fiio music than with neutron for beginners like me!

May 7, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #11,627 of 18,020
@Joe Bloggs

Technical question, what is more accurate and better an eq in an app like neutron, or for example an eq built in an amp like creative soundblaster e5, where you eq the dsp in the amp itself

Hope you can shed some light on this

May 7, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #11,628 of 18,020
@Joe Bloggs

Technical question, what is more accurate and better an eq in an app like neutron, or for example an eq built in an amp like creative soundblaster e5, where you eq the dsp in the amp itself

Hope you can shed some light on this

In principle there shouldn't be any difference because you're equalizing in the digital domain with either the player app or the SB E5. Yes, FYI the E5's processing is also digital, even when the input is analog (in which case it converts to digital, processes, then converts back to analog for amplification. Sounds nasty, but no worries--DAC / ADC chips these days are capable of several rounds of redundant conversions and still sound thoroughly transparent in formal listening tests...) Of course, you have the option of connecting to the E5 digitally to avoid this if you so wish.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 7, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #11,629 of 18,020
In principle there shouldn't be any difference because you're equalizing in the digital domain with either the player app or the SB E5. Yes, FYI the E5's processing is also digital, even when the input is analog (in which case it converts to digital, processes, then converts back to analog for amplification. Sounds nasty, but no worries--DAC / ADC chips these days are capable of several rounds of redundant conversions and still sound thoroughly transparent in formal listening tests...) Of course, you have the option of connecting to the E5 digitally to avoid this if you so wish.

Joe man you amaze me with your knowledge as always

You are one of the best to always ask

thanks

May 7, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #11,632 of 18,020
Lol... Call it what you like. To me, it improves the sound. Not sure what the difference is anyway, or the need to "correct me". If it adjusts it to my liking, it's improved for me.

Yeah. I totally believe EQ improve sound for you. No doubt about it. But to say "EQ does improve the sound" like it is a truth to everyone is not precise.

May 7, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #11,633 of 18,020
Just went and auditioned a bunch of daps and left with X7. Kinda funny cos i had preconceived notions that this player wouldn't be worth the cost. I was pleasantly surprised at the sound quality once i plugged my 64 Audio U6 into it.

I also own the Mojo and I personally think from the couple of hours ive listened to the X7 that its very very close to the Mojo and in some respects is better. The X7 seems to have a wider soundstage and more linear presentation.

I was also considering the Soundaware M1 Pro but thats a bit of a risk as cant audition it and it lacks a lot of features the X7 has.

Very satisfied with this purchase.

May 7, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #11,636 of 18,020
Bolded part is to your ears. We can play this game all night.

honestly, when I read such comments about eq it just baffles me.

well let me put it this way, i can turn any iem to sound how i want it and improve SOUND, using what? EQ

thats were my user name came from Sound Eq

May 7, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #11,638 of 18,020
  Its morning here XD

well its morning here as well, and already ready for a debate about eq is not fun in the morning

May 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #11,639 of 18,020

May 7, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #11,640 of 18,020
  well its morning here as well, and already ready for a debate about eq is not fun in the morning

I really shouldn't jump in here, because this got blown up from something totally innocent. I guess if Warrior hadn't used the word "improve" but something like "tailor" the sound, there wouldn't have been an issue. And if Rezei hadn't started his response with a definitive "No," it could just have been overlooked. But here we are in the early morning starting up an age old debate, and I can't help myself. Of course both sides have a point, EQ can't generate the improvements in resolution or dynamics that go with objective measurements of sound quality. It can however alter the sound to suit the tastes of the listener. So at the dawning of a new day we're back at the stalemate....

The thing is, No. Warrior is right. EQ improves the sound. I know what you're getting at Rezei there is a natural sound produced by the source+amp+transducer and EQ can only "shape" that. Right, but that "shaping" has two parts. 1) It tunes the sound to individual preferences, sure. E.g., the basshead can boost the low end to his heart's delight before distortion. But, 2) A poor spectral rendering can be corrected and enhanced.  E.g., one of my favorite phones is the HD800 that has an infamous 6K peak, so I use EQ to cut it at 6K to bring it closer to neutral. Even more, it also has a naturally weak bass response, so I boost the lows. Some other phones have rolled off highs and so I get out the EQ again and insert a high shelf filter. Another word for this "shaping" is called "improving."

The way I know this is because in the studio before the tracks ever found their way to my DAC, it was never natural, it was "shaped" (i.e., EQ'd) probably a lot. The musician might have EQ'd it, the recording engineer EQ'd it, the mastering engineer most likely EQ'd it again. Certain instruments, amps, microphones, etc. were all chosen for their natural tonal qualities, but these guys tend to take a crack or two or hundred at "improving" the sound. In the studio, the people producing the sound might say to the engineer,"there's not enough low end can we do something to make it, you know, better?" I happen to say the same thing when I'm re-producing the sound. To say that this only makes it sound "right" to the musician, engineer, producer, or end-listener is not really relevant. Music is not made or heard by robots.

Well, apologies all over the place for inserting myself and the, ahem, tone. It is, as was mentioned, early in the morning. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back