FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #2,116 of 18,020
Happy new year folks!
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,122 of 18,020
Where am I?

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,125 of 18,020
Back on track, wondering if there will be any merit for me upgrading from the X5 to X7 (or any other DAP for that matter) if I am not interested in UI enhancements or otherwise, and ONLY use the digital out to feed the Hugo?!?

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #2,126 of 18,020
Back on track, wondering if there will be any merit for me upgrading from the X5 to X7 (or any other DAP for that matter) if I am not interested in UI enhancements or otherwise, and ONLY use the digital out to feed the Hugo?!?

I'm wondering exactly the same thing. The only reason I would even consider upgrading to this DAP is SQ + keen to see how these modular add-ons develop. Hopefully a variety of X7 models with one of them being for some serious power and sound quality. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of things plus a DAP. This time I'm not going to be an early adopter. Will be waiting for at least 6 months after the release before I will consider it. 

I'm still trying to sell some laser discs on eBay!!

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,127 of 18,020
Man James must be really patient and open-minded opening the design discussion.

Half the people here seem to argue just for the sake of it, see only their end, complain endlessly, threaten not to buy as if they are someone to be reckoned with. Man if I did not respect James and want to know how this turns out I would have unsubbed a long time ago...this thread get so high on the annoyo-self-entitlo-meter.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,128 of 18,020

Half the people here seem to argue just for the sake of it, see only their end, complain endlessly, threaten not to buy as if they are someone to be reckoned with. Man if I did not respect James and want to know how this turns out I would have unsubbed a long time ago...this thread get so high on the annoyo-self-entitlo-meter.

I agree to that, he got guts over fear!!
wink_face.gif
he should have not shown the prototype at least, comparisons took off from there.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2,129 of 18,020

maybe, X7 should supports DLNA.

That would be a killer feature, we could always do something just like this with DLNA plus DoPE (DoP over Ethernet)

There is a FooBar Plugin called foo_input_sacd
together with bubblguums Upnp Plugin FooBar can even 
stream SACD isofiles as a 176kHz 24bit wave to my renderer

foo_upnp
foo_dsd_asio
foo_input_sacd
foo_input_dsdiff
foo_input_sacd_hq

It's a little bit of work plus more toys to carry for sure, we could put SACD ISO files on wireless 2TB hard drives. Install foobar2000 on ultra thin Windows 8.1 mini PC called Vensmile iPC002 with 7,000 mAh battery. Simply add some foobar2000 plugins as mentioned above.

Maybe we could stream DSD on-the-fly just like that without having to encapsulate them manually with FLAC containers, that should be called DoPE (DoP over Ethernet) so we just have to find out if AK240 were working with foobar2000 or otherwise.

If that were no go, we could try either MiniServer or JRiver Media Center on Vensmile iPC002 as well

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/5220#post_10862111

I have tested it with foobar2000 using "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Media Server, Control Point" component (foo_upnp) on my laptop. It works, and I am able to stream my files from my foobar2000 playlists and music library via Wi-Fi, but the playback isn't gapless, and native DSD playback is not supported. I hardly ever listen to DSD anyway, but gapless playback is a must have IMO so I tend to just stay away from streaming.

Listening in USB DAC mode often has my preference whenever I am not out on the road. Staying at home with Wi-Fi enabled on the AK240 (USB not plugged in) will only deplete the battery even faster than it already does, whereas plugging in the USB cable will cause the battery to start being recharged even when a recharge is not yet required. (Frequent unnecessary battery recharges will cause unnecessary wear and tear on it, while the battery isn't easily replaceable...). So IMO it can be a good idea to transfer as much of the music you plan to listen to as possible via USB onto the AK240 or SD card, beforehand, then just try to avoid using Wi-Fi most of the time. Apart from the OTA (Over-The-Air) firmware update capability, the only times when I find Wi-Fi on the AK240 to be really useful is when I want to, without recharging the AK240's battery, transfer files from my laptop's external harddrives onto the AK240's internal storage.

FYI - these are the addition toys required

54a4f0f292840.jpg

549d25b930282.jpg

549d25bc5d042.jpg

549d25c055389.jpg

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #2,130 of 18,020
As

I share the sentiment. For as in most situations, there are the polite ones in their constructive criticisms, understanding acceptance of real life limitations & graciously keeping in mind that not everything revolves around ones demanding sense of imagined entitlement.

Unless James (Fiio) accepted a million bucks from someone to make a DAP as that one person so desires. But we all know that this is not the case.

To buy or not to buy the X7 after reading this far is everyone's call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back