FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 1, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #2,131 of 18,019

Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Swappable amp modules
2 screens

Draw your own conclusions about whether that seems like an audiophile product.

Frankly, I'm really not convinced, at this point, what the design ethos is behind the X7.

I'm sort of thinking the same thing. It doesn't seem like a "sound first" product with all these bells and whistles. I guess I can always hope for a X5K or something that's all about sound.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2,133 of 18,019
X5 does have some bells and whistles like though.
i don't need USB DAC functions on my DAP but some people wants it and that's fine.
That is where it gets complicated, half the people want a 'one device fits all' approach, and the other, a very focused device - a very true case of not being able to please all the folks all the time...

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #2,134 of 18,019

I'm sort of thinking the same thing. It doesn't seem like a "sound first" product with all these bells and whistles. I guess I can always hope for a X5K or something that's all about sound.

I have the feeling it's aiming to be the audiophile dream player and hence tries to do many things at once.

To be future proof it might be smart to integrate BT and Wifi. I am now exploring the FLAC streaming from Tidal - not shabby at all and since that (unfortunately) seems to be the future, to stream music and subscribe rather than download and "own", it might not be a bad move.

The two displays are indeed great to save energy, for small interactions as volume change or track skipping etc. firing up the large display is much more costly than having a small limited colour, low energy display doing that... I think it's a smart move andmif it wouldn't make sense energy consumption wise, I doubt James would have gone through the trouble integrating a second display with all it's complications.

Swappable amps are following the 901 and I think too that is a great opportunity to keep the player relevant for multiple uses down the line, large headphones, great. IEMS, different module, sounds as good...

Could be the DAP that sets the feature list for others to copy OR we have to stick to the same old, "can do one thing great but not much else" DAPs....

I certainly appreciate the effort and am looking forward the release...I doubt it will be a jack of all trades and master of none, I am sure James has enough experience to avoid this pitfall.

Cheers,
K

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,135 of 18,019

To be future proof it might be smart to integrate BT and Wifi. I am now exploring the FLAC streaming from Tidal - not shabby at all and since that (unfortunately) seems to be the future, to stream music and subscribe rather than download and "own", it might not be a bad move.

Not arguing with your observation that the music industry may be headed that way (and no longer arguing about Bt/Wi-fi being in the X7, as I am now resigned to it in the X7), but I detest the subscription model with a passion and will avoid at all costs. It's another nail in the coffin of privacy, for starters.

Theoretically-speaking, I would rather have seen the X7 designed with the Bt and Wi-fi as an optional module, so that those who have no need of it need not unnecessarily carry it around in the DAP. That kind of modularity, where the feature is added or subtracted by the user, would've been a cool approach 
regular_smile .gif

Swappable amps are following the 901 and I think too that is a great opportunity to keep the player relevant for multiple uses down the line, large headphones, great. IEMS, different module, sounds as good...

I agree that swappable amp modules are a useful feature

Originally Posted by Koolpep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could be the DAP that sets the feature list for others to copy OR we have to stick to the same old, "can do one thing great but not much else" DAPs....

I certainly appreciate the effort and am looking forward the release...I doubt it will be a jack of all trades and master of none, I am sure James has enough experience to avoid this pitfall.

It's a tricky issue, isn't it?  There are multi-million dollar corporations already producing cellphones with multi-functionality, and a boatload of cash to throw at R&D, inching (admittedly slowly) towards improved SQ, but with all the other fancy gizmo features pretty-much already sorted.

Maybe, when a company doesn't have several million dollars to throw at R&D, there might be some logic in doing their core speciality (in this case, audiophile functionality) as well as they possibly can, and keeping bells & whistles to a minimum.

It's a difficult line to draw in the sand, when there is so much competition, on both sides of the line, and a moderately-sized company is trying to innovate in order to compete.

Even though I may not personally approve of some of the design decisions, I respect James for being intrepid, and, as I've said many times before, on Head-fi, I respect him for courageously engaging with the community, even though it can get very rambunctious at times

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2,136 of 18,019
You raise some very good points. If your player is just another android device with better DAC and amp what's the barrier to entry for the large companies like Sony, Apple, HTC, Samsung and the likes to just jump into that market once it reaches a meaningful size.

WiFi and Bluetooth - making that modular is certainly more expensive than just integrating it - the android reference designs and chipsets that are used here have all of these integrated already removing might make it more expensive than just leaving the parts in.

And I am totally with you. Don't like streaming. At all. But it's where it's headed - if you talk to young people the concept of buying a CD or even buying songs on iTunes is already "weird" and old-fashioned. Music comes from YouTube so I leaned. Rolls eyes.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #2,137 of 18,019
Look at it this way: shooting 1080p video, having an umpteen drive modes and focus modes, face detection live view, etc etc didn't stop the Nikon D810 from having class-leading image quality. :wink:

The X7 is certainly shaping up to be big enough to fit everything in with room to spare... :tongue_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 1, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,138 of 18,019
Look at it this way: shooting 1080p video, having an umpteen drive modes and focus modes, face detection live view, etc etc didn't stop the Nikon D810 from having class-leading image quality. :wink:

The X7 is certainly shaping up to be big enough to fit everything in with room to spare... :tongue_smile:

True, true.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,139 of 18,019
The only benefit I can think of having two screens is better battery life.

Tasks like changing the volume or skipping a track would use the small screen instead of the larger on and save battery.

Now I can't imagine how the whole thing would work, which is both exciting and intriguing.

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,140 of 18,019
Someone probably mentioned this but let's see if it were gonna work for X7 or otherwise. Simply grab one of those Wi-Fi adapters for micro SD cards and that could be a relatively easy way to add wireless storage if we don't mind swapping tiny little cards something like one music genre on one card etc.

TB1LmzyGFXXXXaQXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2-item_pic.png

TB2S2gGaFXXXXaAXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2203947650.jpg

TB2alxbapXXXXXnXpXXXXXXXXXX-1821769150.jpg

Then get this case to hold everything and it's pretty pocket friendly IMHO

54a55072b2871.jpg

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #2,142 of 18,019
Look at it this way: shooting 1080p video, having an umpteen drive modes and focus modes, face detection live view, etc etc didn't stop the Nikon D810 from having class-leading image quality.
wink.gif

The X7 is certainly shaping up to be big enough to fit everything in with room to spare...
tongue_smile.gif

Well said, indeed. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,143 of 18,019
  Happy New Year!

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestion, I known you guys want something very innovative but it is not as simple as you can see. :) 

Getting a self developed and designed complex electronics product to market is indeed an amazing accomplishment, I know that first hand. We are with you @JamesFiiOand I am sure it will be rocking. By the way, am getting a X5 soon, so when the X7 arrives I have something to compare it to. :wink:

Cheers,
K

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #2,144 of 18,019
  .... Simply grab one of those Wi-Fi adapters for micro SD cards and that could be a relatively easy way to add wireless storage if we don't mind swapping tiny little cards something like one music genre on one card etc.

TB2S2gGaFXXXXaAXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2203947650.jpg

Nice idea, but not for me, thanks.

It's bad enough carrying a cellphone in my pocket. I don't want to be broadcasting wi-fi into my anatomy, at close range
rolleyes.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,145 of 18,019
Nice idea, but not for me, thanks.

It's bad enough carrying a cellphone in my pocket. I don't want to be broadcasting wi-fi into my anatomy, at close range :rolleyes:

Well compared to a cellphone 2w it's only a maximum of 200mw from WiFi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back