FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 5, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #9,091 of 18,019

sitting here looking at my e12DIY. i think it knows it will soon be turned off for the last time :wink:

That is kind of sad, but I'm sure it will go to a nice home.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #9,092 of 18,019
  That is kind of sad, but I'm sure it will go to a nice home.

i think i will keep it, just disconnect the battery.

can anybody tell me where i can find more info on these modules? i can't find it on fiio.net.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #9,093 of 18,019

sitting here looking at my e12DIY. i think it knows it will soon be turned off for the last time :wink:

Just spent the last half an hour comparing the mid power module to Mojo (coax from X7), and they are really close in overall SQ. The only area where Mojo really has an edge is that it has a better rendering of image where the soundstage and layering is almost perfect. With the mid power module however, it has a wider width but less defined depth, so it doesn't quite have the 3D like image of Mojo. But by itself it certainly is already really good,

i think i will keep it, just disconnect the battery.

can anybody tell me where i can find more info on these modules? i can't find it on fiio.net.

From top: IEM module. mid power module, balanced (with 2.5mm balanced and 3.5mm single ended output), then high power module.
From left: Module type, connection, gain+buffer stage, max power output in mW, battery life, price (in RMB), ETA (*already delay)

152125sbzem2bbildazqzm.jpg

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #9,094 of 18,019
So the X7 has been out for a few months now and think it's time to decide if this is something I'll purchase or not..

I think I've read somewhere that this also accepts 200GB microSD cards even though it says the max is 128 and with the price being reasonable that shouldn't be an issue. I realize that this dap will be a work in progress in terms of firmware (such is the nature for just about every audiophile dap). I don't care about wifi as long as I can do updates and bluetooth isn't a concern for now but maybe in the future. How easy to use is the UI if I just want to play music (either random entire library or just an album or artist). The player can download poweramp and I use that on my phone so am I correct in assuming that it shouldn't be an issue? If I use that instead of the music player provided by Fiio do I lose any functionality?

I used to own the first version of the X3 and found that UI to be good enough and much better than other audiophile daps I have used. 

I'll probably be using just the SE846.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #9,095 of 18,019
In other news - look at what the cat dragged in?

Mid power module is the same size as IEM module, so all current cases (FiiO's, Dignis', etc) should work without a problem. On brief listening, I'll say we finally has the amp module that has the SQ to match an external amp (*in this case, E12A and E12DIY easily).

Not sure if just the photo but why does the AM2 module look like it is a different color from X7?

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,096 of 18,019
So the X7 has been out for a few months now and think it's time to decide if this is something I'll purchase or not..

I think I've read somewhere that this also accepts 200GB microSD cards even though it says the max is 128 and with the price being reasonable that shouldn't be an issue. I realize that this dap will be a work in progress in terms of firmware (such is the nature for just about every audiophile dap). I don't care about wifi as long as I can do updates and bluetooth isn't a concern for now but maybe in the future. How easy to use is the UI if I just want to play music (either random entire library or just an album or artist). The player can download poweramp and I use that on my phone so am I correct in assuming that it shouldn't be an issue? If I use that instead of the music player provided by Fiio do I lose any functionality?

I used to own the first version of the X3 and found that UI to be good enough and much better than other audiophile daps I have used. 

I'll probably be using just the SE846.

I am rocking a 200gb card, no problems here. The ui is very easy to understand, especialy if you have used android in the past. Don't know about poweramp specifically but spotify is sounding great so I doubt it will be an issue.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #9,097 of 18,019
When is FiiO going to properly document the X7 firmware and produce a comprehensive user manual? Currently it feels like users are all being treated as beta trialists on a voyage of discovery.
Jeremy

That's because we are the beta testers but we pay full price to be part of its development. It'll keep getting better and better as Fiio keep the updates coming.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #9,098 of 18,019
Not sure if just the photo but why does the AM2 module look like it is a different color from X7?

It is not a lighting trick, it does have a slight darker anodization with more of a matte finish when compared to IEM module's silvery (which reflects more light and look whiter in photo) and brushed finish.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #9,099 of 18,019
It is not a lighting trick, it does have a slight darker anodization with more of a matte finish when compared to IEM module's silvery (which reflects more light and look whiter in photo) and brushed finish.

That's not a good thing imo. I would want the X7 to look like a one piece. I have a case coming so that is not a big deal but don't understand why the different color? Unless FiiO's intention is to have different color for different modules? In that regard would love to see a red anodized balance module ; )

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #9,100 of 18,019
While power has increased according to spec, the gain remains that same as IEM module. Can't say I hear any noise or hiss either.

p/s: Just checked - it uses MUSES02 for gain stage, same as E12A. No wonder I find them sounding so similar.

Can you comment if it adds any warmth or coloration to the sound signature va IEM module? Hoping it's an neutral balanced sound.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #9,101 of 18,019
Can you comment if it adds any warmth or coloration to the sound signature va IEM module? Hoping it's an neutral balanced sound.

Pretty much the same sound signature as E12A, neutral with a slight rich tone.

That's not a good thing imo. I would want the X7 to look like a one piece. I have a case coming so that is not a big deal but don't understand why the different color? Unless FiiO's intention is to have different color for different modules? In that regard would love to see a red anodized balance module ; )

I'll guess they are probably trying to make it easier to identify.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #9,102 of 18,019
Very good fit and finish to the AM2. The sound is more like what I was hoping for and it works very well with IEM's. Better, IMO, than the IEM card as there is more space, realism and depth. And this is new out of the box and not burned in. The AM2 definitely pulls more of the music out of the X7. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #9,103 of 18,019
@jamato8, damn that is a pretty impressive list of DAPs you have there. You must have separate insurance to cover all those goodies!

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #9,105 of 18,019
So, folks with a K5, I heard it will not accept an x7 with a case on.... But it also looks like I could remove padding from the flip-up door... Or remove it... To accommodate a case..

Thoughts?

There is no padding on the door. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back