FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 6, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #9,121 of 18,020

I think you might have the wrong idea about this '11 pins' cable - a typical microUSB cable (the kind that does come with FiiO X7 and most Android smartphone) only has 5 pins, and that's all you need to connect X7 to your PC for files transfer or USB DAC function. You ONLY need a special 11 pins cable if you want to get the line-out from the microUSB port in X7. However, X7 already has a 3.5mm socket that you can get the line-out, so there is very little to no reason why you want a special 11 pins cable. Besides, I don't know anyone is making this kind of special 11 pin cable for FiiO yet.

In that case, keep the E12A.

thanks .....i had tried mine stacked with my E12a but honestly coming from my x5 + e12a i prefered x7 on its own with IEM module, just seemed a little more detailed , although all hearing is subjective ...thanks anyway.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #9,122 of 18,020

I think I've read somewhere that this also accepts 200GB microSD cards even though it says the max is 128 and with the price being reasonable that shouldn't be an issue. 

The X7 is very flaky with 200GB cards right now.  With a 200GB card in, the X7 reboots soon after power up and then it's OK after that.  Also, with a 200GB card in, trying to uninstall a Google Play Store app immediately reboots the X7.  So, I take the card out, uninstall and then put the card back in. It's a nuisance right now, but at least with a little patience you can eventually get it to work.  I have another 200GB card that I attach via a very small OTG adapter (search this thread)..

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #9,123 of 18,020

The X7 is very flaky with 200GB cards right now.  With a 200GB card in, the X7 reboots soon after power up and then it's OK after that.  Also, with a 200GB card in, trying to uninstall a Google Play Store app immediately reboots the X7.  So, I take the card out, uninstall and then put the card back in. It's a nuisance right now, but at least with a little patience you can eventually get it to work.  I have another 200GB card that I attach via a very small OTG adapter (search this thread)..

I haven't had a single issue with my 200GB card--including installing and uninstalling and REinstalling apps.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #9,124 of 18,020
Feb 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #9,125 of 18,020
I just brought home the AM2 amplifier. I haven't taken off my Denon D7100s plugged into the X7AM2 for the past 5 hours. The AM2 drives them perfectly - almost desktop amp/DAC quality. 

I agree with ClieOS. It is very neutral with a touch of warmth. Prelim impressions: analytical and authoritative with the bass notes. The soundstage has infinitely increased compared to the AM1 module. Congested tracks have cleared up significantly with AM2 - just what happens when you feed good headphones the power they require.

I tried the Audeze EL-8s with the X7AM2 - still not enough power to get them to sound as good as a desktop amp even though the EL-8s are of relatively low impedance.

I feel that all the reviews done so far with just the AM1 module is not representative of the true performance of the X7 with the AM2 module especially with easy to drive cans. X7AM2 is a completely different machine.

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #9,126 of 18,020
   I haven't had a single issue with my 200GB card--including installing and uninstalling and REinstalling apps.

I tried a different card and it seems OK. The one that caused problems on the X7 works fine in Windows and on other players. Strange.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,127 of 18,020
  thanks .....i had tried mine stacked with my E12a but honestly coming from my x5 + e12a i prefered x7 on its own with IEM module, just seemed a little more detailed , although all hearing is subjective ...thanks anyway.

recap .....got me curious about the sound coming out of the medium module...so i stacked my e12a again with x7 ..realised when i was doing comparison before i had knocked the little bass boost switch on ! ....it is definitely an improvement on IEM module , especially with opening up souund stage , so if medium module like e12a then great!

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #9,128 of 18,020

I think you might have the wrong idea about this '11 pins' cable - a typical microUSB cable (the kind that does come with FiiO X7 and most Android smartphone) only has 5 pins, and that's all you need to connect X7 to your PC for files transfer or USB DAC function. You ONLY need a special 11 pins cable if you want to get the line-out from the microUSB port in X7. However, X7 already has a 3.5mm socket that you can get the line-out, so there is very little to no reason why you want a special 11 pins cable. Besides, I don't know anyone is making this kind of special 11 pin cable for FiiO yet.

In that case, keep the E12A.

so how would that work, is the cable as one of the following configs:

| side A |cable | side B |
| micro usb 11 pin | normal | USB B |
| micro usb 11 pin | Y-split | USB B & 3.5" AUX |
| micro usb 11 pin | normal | some sort of wierd unknown connector thing |

edit: isn't that 11 pin usually called an "mhl" cable?

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #9,131 of 18,020
Got my K5 today, and sure enough - the X7 with a case does not fit... unless you modify the door.

Warning... not for the squeamish.... The hinged door can then very very easily be removed.... and dremmelled to your delight..
The door is a very simple plastic hinge piece (the piece whose back you are seeing when the door is closed) with an inlaid back. The back is actually glued to the hinge piece right at the bottom (see the white circle/dot in the center)
If you pry up the inlaid back much the plastic snaps pretty easily.

By removing about a millimeter of the hinge I was able to reproduce the curvature of the Dignis case I have:

The fact that the X7 is curved actually helps here - you can see I left the side parts of the hinge mechanism basically intact:

With the bare X7 inserted at the right angle, you can see there is space between the X7 and the plastic back of the hinged piece:

Now, with the case on I have a great fit, and the case width works perfectly too:

Some filing and touchup will have this looking great...

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #9,132 of 18,020
Why leave the case on?

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #9,133 of 18,020
  Hey Guys (X7 Owners/TIDAL Subscribers),
Does X7 plays TIDAL at the same sound quality as the stock player?... I mean, does the TIDAL app is using 100% of X7 capabilities?

Thanks.

with firmware 1.8 just the same quality, before that revision Tidal was played with -6dB but still the same sound quality

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #9,134 of 18,020
  so how would that work, is the cable as one of the following configs:

| side A |cable | side B |
| micro usb 11 pin | normal | USB B |
| micro usb 11 pin | Y-split | USB B & 3.5" AUX |
| micro usb 11 pin | normal | some sort of wierd unknown connector thing |

edit: isn't that 11 pin usually called an "mhl" cable?

FiiO hasn't released the pin-out on the microUSB dock, so I don't actually know, but supposedly it can be just 11 pin microUSB on one side and 3.5mm line-out on the other.

Also, there are two kind of MHL microUSB slot, v1.0 and v2.0. The one FiiO used should be the same as MHL v2.0.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #9,135 of 18,020
As AM2 not available yet in UK yet I have found the X7 a great fit with my Carot One NIK 58 tube amp.
Glad I hung out to this portable amp.
With other DAPs it sounds good but lots interference noise.
Surprisingly with X7 no extraneous noise and sounds wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back