Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #451 of 578
At the very beginning, as a new user of this forum, I would like to express my great respect and appreciation and thanks for the work that jkbuha and prispewnic have put into this project, while respecting the contribution of all other forum members. In my opinion the results of this work are impressive.
For many years I used DAP iRiver H10 with Rockbox mod and 240GB drive. It still works well, but my expanding media library as well as tech progress of last years made me purchase the X5iii DAP.
X5iii tempted me with two uSD slots and a modern set of features. With 800 GB onboard, I now have almost all of my albums with me. A few days ago I installed Custom Kernel version 3.31. The whole process went smoothly, I applied 2016MHz version (Droid Info confirms that the processor sometimes goes to this frequency). The player is now fast and using it is pure pleasure. I owe it all to you guys, jkbuha and prispewnic.
Moreover, none of the problems described in this forum occured till now, especially overheating. I even think that the player heats up less now.
I wonder if it is worth switching to version 3. 41 when 3. 31 works so well. Maybe someone could help me make decision or at least clear the subject?
I have a question about root: I haven't done it yet, although TWRP encouraged me to do so. Is root necessary for further upgrade?
In my opinion if it works don’t touch it. I rooted my device and almost bricked it. I wasted hours restoring it. It kept crashing. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it!

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #452 of 578
At the very beginning, as a new user of this forum, I would like to express my great respect and appreciation and thanks for the work that jkbuha and prispewnic have put into this project, while respecting the contribution of all other forum members. In my opinion the results of this work are impressive.
For many years I used DAP iRiver H10 with Rockbox mod and 240GB drive. It still works well, but my expanding media library as well as tech progress of last years made me purchase the X5iii DAP.
X5iii tempted me with two uSD slots and a modern set of features. With 800 GB onboard, I now have almost all of my albums with me. A few days ago I installed Custom Kernel version 3.31. The whole process went smoothly, I applied 2016MHz version (Droid Info confirms that the processor sometimes goes to this frequency). The player is now fast and using it is pure pleasure. I owe it all to you guys, jkbuha and prispewnic.
Moreover, none of the problems described in this forum occured till now, especially overheating. I even think that the player heats up less now.
I wonder if it is worth switching to version 3. 41 when 3. 31 works so well. Maybe someone could help me make decision or at least clear the subject?
I have a question about root: I haven't done it yet, although TWRP encouraged me to do so. Is root necessary for further upgrade?
I joined the party late. May I know if this operation bring any improvement in sound quality?

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #453 of 578
I joined the party late. May I know if this operation bring any improvement in sound quality?
Methinks no. But it's only me with a sense of hearing slightly beyond 15kHz :frowning2:
On the other hand - what improvements it could bring to SQ if it is only kernel mod? But I'm Neutron guy, so maybe other software can benefit from it.
But for most X5iii users this mod is worth every penny. This DAP was laggy. Now it is veeery responding. Period.
Just few weeks ago I was considering M11, now I'm not.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #454 of 578
So this mod has helped performance a lot, but I do have one big issue that still occurs. It happens on both the stock Fiio music app (I do keep it updated), and Neutron (though neutron is much worse, I also keep it updated). If I pause music and leave it for too long, then try to go back to resume play, the app usually won't be responsive at all. Sometimes it will eventually react, or the app crashes. Neutron is worse, because it will sometimes just straight up not show half of my music after the fact, and I'll have to rescan my library. It's honestly pretty annoying. This did happen before I used this customer kernel as well, and I initially thought the issue was slow performance. That doesn't seem to be the case, though. Does this sound like an SD card issue? I've tried reformatting both of my sd cards, but it didn't help unfortunately.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #455 of 578
So this mod has helped performance a lot, but I do have one big issue that still occurs. It happens on both the stock Fiio music app (I do keep it updated), and Neutron (though neutron is much worse, I also keep it updated). If I pause music and leave it for too long, then try to go back to resume play, the app usually won't be responsive at all. Sometimes it will eventually react, or the app crashes. Neutron is worse, because it will sometimes just straight up not show half of my music after the fact, and I'll have to rescan my library. It's honestly pretty annoying. This did happen before I used this customer kernel as well, and I initially thought the issue was slow performance. That doesn't seem to be the case, though. Does this sound like an SD card issue? I've tried reformatting both of my sd cards, but it didn't help unfortunately.
My experience with x5iii tells me that it might be DAP overloaded with apps. Neutron is pretty complex software and demanding, but i don't know better Player. Also DAP's procesor is week and memory is getting low fast. On Android there is not much control over apps.
On the begining I used to install lot of apps and that was not good. For long time now I use only 4 and I'm using x5iii only to run neutron. And I experience no problem at all.

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #456 of 578
My experience with x5iii tells me that it might be DAP overloaded with apps. Neutron is pretty complex software and demanding, but i don't know better Player. Also DAP's procesor is week and memory is getting low fast. On Android there is not much control over apps.
On the begining I used to install lot of apps and that was not good. For long time now I use only 4 and I'm using x5iii only to run neutron. And I experience no problem at all.

I really don't think that's the issue here. Either that, or this device shouldn't be running Android haha. I stripped it down to nothing at one point, even gone as far as to remove all of the google services, and it still does the same thing. It isn't just in Neutron, but it happens with the stock Fiio app as well.

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #457 of 578
I really don't think that's the issue here. Either that, or this device shouldn't be running Android haha. I stripped it down to nothing at one point, even gone as far as to remove all of the google services, and it still does the same thing. It isn't just in Neutron, but it happens with the stock Fiio app as well.
That's too bad then. I know from Fiio forum that a lot of people have had similar problems. Another reason I suspect (besides too many apps, but that's not your case) is Fiio player. From the begining this player made me angry and nervous, and it's unability to properly index my database on 2 SD cards made me never go back to it.
Did you - or if not, maybe you can try - stop using Pure Music and Fiio player and for some days use only NMP? With what effect?

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #458 of 578
Hi guys, firstly I would like to thank the team that made this possible. Breathing a new lease of life into my crawling slow DAP.

I am currently on kernel 3.32 using UAPP on bit perfect mode purely for tidal music. In my current rig, I have the X5 docked onto the DK1 and line out to my A5 amp. Problem is, when i have it docked, I hear a crackle / distortion on harder hitting notes with 'line out via the dock'. This is the case for both the Tidal as well as UAPP and the only way around was to force it through the Adjust volume on LO setting and maxing out the volume . It attenuates the volume quite abit but at the expense of dynamics.

I was wondering if anyone has similar issues with their X5 / Dk1 setup and if there are other workarounds instead of running volume control through the X5.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #459 of 578
Hi, first of all thanks a lot about this kernel and the smooth performance it gives. Was hoping to achieve this with Fidelizer previously but they are not even in the same ballpark.

I have a couple of questions and I know that some of them may already be answered in one form or another, so sorry for repeating:

1.) I am using the 1704 MHz version of the kernel and fidelizer 1.25 and have installed removing email but leaving google services.
If I want to try out the 2016 MHz profile what is the easiest way to do this?
Should I re-flash with the same settings only selecting the 2016 MHz profile or is there an easier way to do this?
When re-flashing if you want to bring something back is this automatically taken from the backup folder?
Also I had no issue creating a backup with TWRP, system included, does this mean that restoring it will also work or is a gamble?

2.) Using UAPP I tried to listen to 192khz flac file (no issues before installing the new kernel) but now it just doesn't play, stays on "async". I assumed it may have something to do with my SD cards being NTFS, so now I am transferring go exFAT (taking a while as you might imagine).
Any other possible reason behind this? Other lower quality files seem to play, DSD as well.

3.) Can I edit the auto-launch script to start UAPP manually? I flashed without auto-opening apps?

4.) If I want to use Titanium backup to freeze google services is it safe for UAPP, meaning that unless I clear UAPP data I should be able to use it without problems?

5.) Also a bit of a trivial question - when the DAP is locked the screen is black, no wallpaper is shown, is this normal?

Thanks in advance, really hoping to use my fiio more now that It's not frustratingly slow to do anything.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #460 of 578
Hi :raised_hand:

If I want to try out the 2016 MHz profile what is the easiest way to do this?
Should I re-flash with the same settings only selecting the 2016 MHz profile or is there an easier way to do this?

Yes, all you need to do is to reflash your player using the AROMA custom kernel installer, specifying the frequency (other options) you need.

When re-flashing if you want to bring something back is this automatically taken from the backup folder?
Nope. To do this, you need to use the restore functions in the custom kernel installer.

Also I had no issue creating a backup with TWRP, system included, does this mean that restoring it will also work or is a gamble?
If you backed up your system using TWRP, I would recommend that you use it. But the restore function should work.

Using UAPP I tried to listen to 192khz flac file (no issues before installing the new kernel) but now it just doesn't play, stays on "async".
I'm sorry, but I do not have this player available for testing. As far as I know, there are no problems with the custom kernel and UAPP. The only exception is listening some tracks in master quality, through other streaming services, wired, through UAPP.

Have you tried a clean custom kernel installation, on the stock firmware?

Can I edit the auto-launch script to start UAPP manually?
Of course, to do this you just need to edit the 60Main script in /system/etc/init.d :

Add this string :

Bash:
/system/xbin/busybox echo "monkey -p com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER 1"

or

Simply reinstall the custom kernel, through the AROMA custom kernel installer, specifying the option you need.

If I want to use Titanium backup to freeze google services is it safe for UAPP
IDK. If the application performs license verification through Google services, freezing them, may cause problems with launching the application. You need to clarify this question yourself.

when the DAP is locked the screen is black, no wallpaper is shown, is this normal?
Could you please attach a screenshot?

Feb 2, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #461 of 578
2.) Using UAPP I tried to listen to 192khz flac file (no issues before installing the new kernel) but now it just doesn't play, stays on "async". I assumed it may have something to do with my SD cards being NTFS, so now I am transferring go exFAT (taking a while as you might imagine).
Any other possible reason behind this? Other lower quality files seem to play, DSD as well.
Card formatting should help this, also make sure that you aren't asking UAPP to do any automatic library scanning on start-up.

4.) If I want to use Titanium backup to freeze google services is it safe for UAPP, meaning that unless I clear UAPP data I should be able to use it without problems?
In the past...for apps like Neutron, PowerAmp, and USB Audio Player Pro, after 24h (from first install) network connection and unfrozen GP Services/Store is needed to cache the license. Keeping Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework, Google Play Store, and Google Play Services frozen with Titanium Backup does not interfere with using them after that point. If you're impatient you can fiddle with date/time settings and trick it to cache it before 24h has actually elapsed, but YMMV.
HOWEVER...as of UAPP version 5.9.0... the app no longer starts if google play services, etc. are disabled. The app was just updated on the 31st of January, and I installed the new version this morning. I had no such problems using the app on version 5.8.9 with google play services frozen. Either an extended period of license verification is now needed with the latest version (after updating), or else it's not looking good.

* I will also add I had no problems streaming audio from Tidal connected through UAPP, even with "Master" quality tracks, with custom kernel 3.4.1.

5.) Also a bit of a trivial question - when the DAP is locked the screen is black, no wallpaper is shown, is this normal?
If you've enabled the "Interface Boost" option in the AROMA custom kernel installer, and have a lock screen enabled in your setting's app security section, what you are seeing is normal.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #462 of 578
Thank you both for the quick replies.

2. On the SDCard topic, I guess that some files go corrupted, all is well now, just have to check what works and what not.

4. I am not using Tidal so no issue for me. Also if someone needs a light-weight spotify streaming app, Spotify Lite beta, 12 and 13 versions work just fine with the X5III and allow for highest quality (as high as spotify will go anyway). The final version of Spotify lite does not seem to install.

5. I guess the "Interface boost" is the reason, I also cannot directly change my wallpaper from the "desktop" area, need to open image in gallery and set is as wallpaper, otherwise it doesn't recognize the file as an image.

- Another Question on freezes - when opening multiple apps for example UAPP and downloading app from the playstore it happened a couple of times that everything freezes, only music keeps playing and I have to hard restart.
Initially I thought that there is not enough space on the internal memory, but now I have 1,25gb left. Should I leave more or is this a RAM issue. Any way of avoiding a full-blown restart, everything else is locked, cannot even turn the screen off.
* I tried going to 1416MHz and it seems more stable for now, but I also left 2 GB free for good measure.

- Having now used it for some time I am getting UAPP constantly closing when using another app in the foreground. Is this due to aggressive RAM management.

- Totally separate issue - still unable to change default launcher - only options are fiio music and Launcher3, any way around that. Would like to use Smart Launcher. Also I would recommend Fluid Navigation Gestures paid version, enables much better gestures overall, more responsive. I hide enable the 3 button setup from Android settings and hide with FNG to enable it's gestures, which provides much better functionality.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #463 of 578
5. I guess the "Interface boost" is the reason, I also cannot directly change my wallpaper from the "desktop" area, need to open image in gallery and set is as wallpaper, otherwise it doesn't recognize the file as an image.
Check for any .nomedia files, they may be stopping gallery viewer from seeing images.

- Another Question on freezes - when opening multiple apps for example UAPP and downloading app from the playstore it happened a couple of times that everything freezes, only music keeps playing and I have to hard restart.
Initially I thought that there is not enough space on the internal memory, but now I have 1,25gb left. Should I leave more or is this a RAM issue. Any way of avoiding a full-blown restart, everything else is locked, cannot even turn the screen off.
* I tried going to 1416MHz and it seems more stable for now, but I also left 2 GB free for good measure.
X5iii has 2GB for purposes of installing apps, and ~26GB of user storage.

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #464 of 578
Check for any .nomedia files, they may be stopping gallery viewer from seeing images.
No, actually I can see and select the images, they just aren't recognized as images, but not really a problem as I found the gallery workaround with the gallery and set as wallpaper.
X5iii has 2GB for purposes of installing apps, and ~26GB of user storage.
Ok, I think it was the CPU frequency all along, 1416MHz is unfortunately as stable as it gets, but still fast enough.

Is 10% battery drainage for 9hrs of deep sleep normal? Even if I can't reduce it any further powering off and on again is now a breeze.

Overall very happy and really glad I looked for a new version of fidelizer yesterday and found this instead !

Feb 12, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #465 of 578
The only salvation is to just uninstall the Google Play update, now it's almost 250 Mb and do not allow the update of Google Play services. The system then runs quite fast and the control of paid applications works properly. Simply change the wallpaper with Root Explorer or Solid Explorer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back