Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #485 of 575
I found a bargain on eBay, and kinda liked the fact that people had significantly improved it in a group effort. As far as I know the X5iii is one of only a few, if not the only DAP, to have its source code released to the public. I like the ‘tinkering‘ involved. Wish me luck! 🙂

Any contemporary DAP you would have recommended instead? Max. storage capacity, apart from pricing, is what I went by. It’s my first DAP.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #486 of 575
I found a bargain on eBay, and kinda liked the fact that people had significantly improved it in a group effort. As far as I know the X5iii is one of only a few, if not the only DAP, to have its source code released to the public. I like the ‘tinkering‘ involved. Wish me luck! 🙂

Any contemporary DAP you would have recommended instead? Max. storage capacity, apart from pricing, is what I went by. It’s my first DAP.
Honestly it greatly depends on whether you want to listen to streaming music or are satisfied with listening yo your own collection.
I wouldn't know what to recommend otherwise, but youtube offers plenty of reviews for every case scenario and pocket. Sound-wise the X5III is great for me as I like AKM DACs, not the same however in terms of battery and standby time even after community efforts. Fiio's newer DAPs use Samsung Exynos chips which are more efficient. The issue there would be google play, so not sure whether you will be able to use UAPP as it requires a license check with google play.
What I am personally interested in trying is Cayin n3pro as it is a tube DAP.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #489 of 575
Picked up the player yesterday, spent deep into the night setting up and running all the upgrades and tweeks (with the obligatory pulling-out-of-hair included), and have the FiiO running great right now, as I fill the storage up with music files. Sooooo many settings, sooooo much stuff to learn and tweek, sooo much time to be lost :)

I want to thank the author(s) of this thread and everybody else involved in improving performance of the X5!!!

I will continue posting status updates.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #490 of 575
Very happy with the new toy, thanks again to jkbuha and prispewnic for their amazing work, and everyone else for their input.

A couple of questions:

1. Whenever I make some major changes (most notably, so far, when I add a considerate amount of new files to the SD card) the system freezes after rebooting, during that initial phase where it checks the external storage. I've tried just waiting for the device to "do its thing", but after 20-30 minutes, I had to do a hard reboot with the same result, over and over. I then tried going down a notch with the frequency, but that didn't solve it. I've found a workaround by (correctly) physically removing the card, letting the X5 boot, then re-inserting the card, to let it run its analysis again. The process completes quickly and without problems/hangs, this way. I'm wondering if this happens to others, too, and whether there's a better solution.

2. IIRC, this is true especially true for SD Maid, but I think it's happened in other apps, as well: generally, if I open a submenu in a program, and an additional dialogue/window pops up that DOESN'T have an "X" to close it again, I find myself swiping and tapping in all kinds of ways, unable to make the window disappear. I "butt-dialed" my way into a comprehensive text describing the characteristics of the song I was listening to on UAPP, and for the life of me, COULD NOT make the pop-up disappear)

Are the different possible gestures explained somewhere? For now, I swipe up from the bottom of the screen, close the app, and hope that particular window has disappeared in the meantime. But sometimes even THAT gesture (I'd say it's like hitting ALT+Tab in Windows) doesn't show up, and it's NOT because there aren't any open apps.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #491 of 575
Very happy with the new toy, thanks again to jkbuha and prispewnic for their amazing work, and everyone else for their input.

A couple of questions:

1. Whenever I make some major changes (most notably, so far, when I add a considerate amount of new files to the SD card) the system freezes after rebooting, during that initial phase where it checks the external storage. I've tried just waiting for the device to "do its thing", but after 20-30 minutes, I had to do a hard reboot with the same result, over and over. I then tried going down a notch with the frequency, but that didn't solve it. I've found a workaround by (correctly) physically removing the card, letting the X5 boot, then re-inserting the card, to let it run its analysis again. The process completes quickly and without problems/hangs, this way. I'm wondering if this happens to others, too, and whether there's a better solution.

2. IIRC, this is true especially true for SD Maid, but I think it's happened in other apps, as well: generally, if I open a submenu in a program, and an additional dialogue/window pops up that DOESN'T have an "X" to close it again, I find myself swiping and tapping in all kinds of ways, unable to make the window disappear. I "butt-dialed" my way into a comprehensive text describing the characteristics of the song I was listening to on UAPP, and for the life of me, COULD NOT make the pop-up disappear)

Are the different possible gestures explained somewhere? For now, I swipe up from the bottom of the screen, close the app, and hope that particular window has disappeared in the meantime. But sometimes even THAT gesture (I'd say it's like hitting ALT+Tab in Windows) doesn't show up, and it's NOT because there aren't any open apps.
For item 2, I turned the gestures off, and restored the navigation icons by going into Settings/Display/Enable Bottom Navigation Bar. Much more usable - for me, at least.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #493 of 575
Hello Has the custom kernel project by jkbuha already been stopped? It seems that jkbuha hasn't been seen in the community since Jul 27, 2020...

Also, where can I find the specific changes to the custom kernel (like the source code for the kernel changes)? Also, why is jkbuha so familiar with audio-specific custom kernels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back