Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Feb 13, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #466 of 575
The only salvation is to just uninstall the Google Play update, now it's almost 250 Mb and do not allow the update of Google Play services. The system then runs quite fast and the control of paid applications works properly. Simply change the wallpaper with Root Explorer or Solid Explorer.

Thanks, but to be honest I would prefer just freezing it if I can help it.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #467 of 575
HOWEVER...as of UAPP version 5.9.0... the app no longer starts if google play services, etc. are disabled. The app was just updated on the 31st of January, and I installed the new version this morning. I had no such problems using the app on version 5.8.9 with google play services frozen. Either an extended period of license verification is now needed with the latest version (after updating), or else it's not looking good.

* I will also add I had no problems streaming audio from Tidal connected through UAPP, even with "Master" quality tracks, with custom kernel 3.4.1.
Good day.

Is there a way to downgrade to lower UAPP version ?

I am using it from time to time as well. Not a problem with Fiio, i am using old model Sony phone for music player and since the updates February i noticed it has super high CPU activity if you turn off the Wi-fi. You turn it on, it fixes it. I am sure its from UAPP because if i stop the task all goes to normal and low cpu frequencies. It has already made the license check i guess, i left it 20+ minutes with wi-fi on. Is there an option in UAPP that can cause this ? I am asking because you are the same guy that helped me in the past for Neutron the album artworks, so meybe you know something about this too.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #468 of 575
Good day.

Is there a way to downgrade to lower UAPP version ?

I am using it from time to time as well. Not a problem with Fiio, i am using old model Sony phone for music player and since the updates February i noticed it has super high CPU activity if you turn off the Wi-fi. You turn it on, it fixes it. I am sure its from UAPP because if i stop the task all goes to normal and low cpu frequencies. It has already made the license check i guess, i left it 20+ minutes with wi-fi on. Is there an option in UAPP that can cause this ? I am asking because you are the same guy that helped me in the past for Neutron the album artworks, so meybe you know something about this too.
I'd give the dev an email about the issue,
info@extreamsd.com
maybe see if you can get any logs from the device when this happens?
Good luck.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #469 of 575
Hi,
so I was using the 1416mhz profile and this morning the player is just not turning on.
Decided that it is simply that the battery died so I connected to the charger and obviously it is charging at it is getting hot, but the blue light doesn't come on and the player does not turn on,
Tried charging for 30 min and holding power button on for 15-20 sec but nothing. Tried the key combo for recovery, still nothing.
Am I looking at a brick or is there something I am missing?
Also, when I connect to a PC I see the 3 drives appear (internal _2 SDs) but not accessible, only placeholders until you enable reading storage access from Android.

*Disregard, managed to turn it on after, hooking to the PC helped, but needed to unhook and try turning on again.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #470 of 575
Hi,
so I was using the 1416mhz profile and this morning the player is just not turning on.
Decided that it is simply that the battery died so I connected to the charger and obviously it is charging at it is getting hot, but the blue light doesn't come on and the player does not turn on,
Tried charging for 30 min and holding power button on for 15-20 sec but nothing. Tried the key combo for recovery, still nothing.
Am I looking at a brick or is there something I am missing?
Also, when I connect to a PC I see the 3 drives appear (internal _2 SDs) but not accessible, only placeholders until you enable reading storage access from Android.

*Disregard, managed to turn it on after, hooking to the PC helped, but needed to unhook and try turning on again.

Thanks
Your story is the simpler one. It only helps me to open the FiiO, disconnect the battery for a few seconds, connect the battery connector and the system will start up immediately. I'll turn it off, assemble it, and everything's fine.
The second way (if there is no tool to open the FiiO) is to endure until the battery is completely discharged to 0% - but totally) and then connect the charger, charge at least 20% and turn on the device.
I am almost 100% sure that it causes me to turn on VEHICLE MODE, even with FiiO firmware without TWRP and custom ROM.

Mar 20, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #472 of 575
Hello.
I have been using this device for almost 3 years now, and I was stressed about the battery life, heat generation and slow operation.

So I've been doing some research and found a custom ROM(fidlizer) and a custom kernel here, but I can't tell the difference.

how much will the battery life change?
There is a paid version of fidlizer, but is it tuned to the point where you can feel the difference between the free version and the paid version by tuning the kernel (removing unnecessary things, optimizing for the hardware, etc.)?

Also, I am using arch linux, is it possible to use the fidlizer procedure?
Also, if I can't, can I put win10 in virtualbox and work on it?
I asked the question because I thought that if there are developers who are skilled in kernel tuning, etc., then they must be Linux users.
Sorry for so many questions.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #473 of 575
Hello.
I have been using this device for almost 3 years now, and I was stressed about the battery life, heat generation and slow operation.

So I've been doing some research and found a custom ROM(fidlizer) and a custom kernel here, but I can't tell the difference.

how much will the battery life change?
There is a paid version of fidlizer, but is it tuned to the point where you can feel the difference between the free version and the paid version by tuning the kernel (removing unnecessary things, optimizing for the hardware, etc.)?

Also, I am using arch linux, is it possible to use the fidlizer procedure?
Also, if I can't, can I put win10 in virtualbox and work on it?
I asked the question because I thought that if there are developers who are skilled in kernel tuning, etc., then they must be Linux users.
Sorry for so many questions.

See here for pertinent linux related instructions for TWRP custom recovery installation. For any use of the windows based firmware installation tool you'd need VM of some kind or use command line tools (similar to how it has to be done on MacOS).

(IIRC prispewnic uses linux, dunno about jkbuha :D)

SKIP FIDELIZER ENTIRELY.

It causes more problems than it solves.

Use the custom kernel and stock firmware 1.2.3 or newer.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #474 of 575
See here for pertinent linux related instructions for TWRP custom recovery installation. For any use of the windows based firmware installation tool you'd need VM of some kind or use command line tools (similar to how it has to be done on MacOS).

(IIRC prispewnic uses linux, dunno about jkbuha :D)

SKIP FIDELIZER ENTIRELY.

It causes more problems than it solves.

Use the custom kernel and stock firmware 1.2.3 or newer.
I'm Japanese, and English is my second language, so I can understand English, but I have no idea what Russian is...
But thank you for the information.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #475 of 575
I'm Japanese, and English is my second language, so I can understand English, but I have no idea what Russian is...
English is my only language, view the webpage in google chrome or any other browser with translation as an extension.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #476 of 575
In Arch Linux download rkflashtool.
If you are making a flash Stock FiiO ROM 1.2.3 you will first unpack the Stock update.img just like Fidelizer ROM
rkunpack update.img
rkunpack embedded-update.img
It will expand to the "Image" directory. You open this directory in the terminal and the next procedure is according to the manual on the Fidelizer website.

rkflashtool v

You need to get a similar statement that you're attached:
rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v5.2
rkflashtool: info: Detected RK3188...
rkflashtool: info: interface claimed
rkflashtool: info: chip version: 310B-2013.01.31-V101

Then :
rkflashtool w boot <boot.img
rkflashtool w kernel < kernel.img
rkflashtool w misc <misc.img
rkflashtool w recovery <recovery.img (If I already have TWRP in place - I'll skip this - for further update to 1.2.5 ROM it is necessary)
rkflashtool w system <system.img
reboot :
rkflashtool b

TWRP after restart
rkflashtool w boot < boot.img [only for Stock 1.2.3 ROM]
rkflashtool w recovery < recovery_twrp.img
rkflashtool b

After some update to Windows 10, I can no longer make a flash under Windows, so only under MacOS or Linux.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #477 of 575
Hi everybody!

I recently bought a new X5iii on eBay, which will be arriving in about two weeks (USA to Germany).

I chose this player, though it's an older model, in large part because of what I found about community-modified FW's and mods, so I'm excited to be applying all the steps outlined here and elsewhere. Even more recent reviews STILL praise this DAP as one of the best in the price range.

I've dabbled into getting 6th and 7th generation iPods running with Rockbox, so I could use larger storage capacities than on the factory HDD's, but that never really worked out. Hopefully, I will finally be able to take large amounts of FLAC music with me, with the added bonus of Hi-Res Audio the X5iii provides, especially with your mods and upgrades.

Which brings me to my first question:

I have read the first 8 pages of this thread, so far, and a search of the entirety of the thread did not provide an answer. On FiiO's own forums, I found that using SD cards with higher storage capacity per slot (than recommended by FiiO) is no problem, but I'd like to ask any of YOU, here in this thread, how your experiences have been with higher than 2x256GB storage.

1. At the price of 1TB SD cards (512GB not so much), I prefer to know for sure that others have tried them without problems, before I buy them.

2. Has anyone noticed any requirements - apart from "Class 10" - for the player to run smoothly? Are UHS-I necessary (most large-capacity are, by default)? Is the difference between U1 and U3 (10 or 30 MB/s write speed) relevant for the device?

Last, but not least, I want to acknowledge the passion, effort and commitment of the people involved in improving the X5iii's performance. From the little "modding" I've done myself, I recognize the amount of - above all - time that goes into such work. You have my respect and admiration.

I'm looking forward to not be getting too much on your nerves with silly questions. But, then again, I have ample time to go through the extensive list of instructions :)

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #478 of 575
Hi everybody!

I recently bought a new X5iii on eBay, which will be arriving in about two weeks (USA to Germany).

I chose this player, though it's an older model, in large part because of what I found about community-modified FW's and mods, so I'm excited to be applying all the steps outlined here and elsewhere. Even more recent reviews STILL praise this DAP as one of the best in the price range.

I've dabbled into getting 6th and 7th generation iPods running with Rockbox, so I could use larger storage capacities than on the factory HDD's, but that never really worked out. Hopefully, I will finally be able to take large amounts of FLAC music with me, with the added bonus of Hi-Res Audio the X5iii provides, especially with your mods and upgrades.

Which brings me to my first question:

I have read the first 8 pages of this thread, so far, and a search of the entirety of the thread did not provide an answer. On FiiO's own forums, I found that using SD cards with higher storage capacity per slot (than recommended by FiiO) is no problem, but I'd like to ask any of YOU, here in this thread, how your experiences have been with higher than 2x256GB storage.

1. At the price of 1TB SD cards (512GB not so much), I prefer to know for sure that others have tried them without problems, before I buy them.

2. Has anyone noticed any requirements - apart from "Class 10" - for the player to run smoothly? Are UHS-I necessary (most large-capacity are, by default)? Is the difference between U1 and U3 (10 or 30 MB/s write speed) relevant for the device?

Last, but not least, I want to acknowledge the passion, effort and commitment of the people involved in improving the X5iii's performance. From the little "modding" I've done myself, I recognize the amount of - above all - time that goes into such work. You have my respect and admiration.

I'm looking forward to not be getting too much on your nerves with silly questions. But, then again, I have ample time to go through the extensive list of instructions :)
I've been using two 512gb Sandisk Ultra cards for over a year and have had no issues.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #479 of 575
I've been using two 512gb Sandisk Ultra cards for over a year and have had no issues.
Cool! Not even slower speed issues when going from smaller cards to 512gb then, I guess?

I tinkered through a PDF named "RK3188 Datasheet V1.4" to see if I could ANYTHING on external flash memory size and/or speed, but I ended up with more questions than answers? For example, is "external memory", as mentioned in the PDF, to be understood as per the CPU's point of view, in other words: the system's RAM? Or is it what we end-users consider "external" (as in added later, by the user).

Anyhow, as a planner, I am in awe of the diagrams and explanatory drawings and graphs. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back