Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
post-15845011
Post #451 of 454

Tal00

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
www.marketplacedentistry.ca
At the very beginning, as a new user of this forum, I would like to express my great respect and appreciation and thanks for the work that jkbuha and prispewnic have put into this project, while respecting the contribution of all other forum members. In my opinion the results of this work are impressive.
For many years I used DAP iRiver H10 with Rockbox mod and 240GB drive. It still works well, but my expanding media library as well as tech progress of last years made me purchase the X5iii DAP.
X5iii tempted me with two uSD slots and a modern set of features. With 800 GB onboard, I now have almost all of my albums with me. A few days ago I installed Custom Kernel version 3.31. The whole process went smoothly, I applied 2016MHz version (Droid Info confirms that the processor sometimes goes to this frequency). The player is now fast and using it is pure pleasure. I owe it all to you guys, jkbuha and prispewnic.
Moreover, none of the problems described in this forum occured till now, especially overheating. I even think that the player heats up less now.
I wonder if it is worth switching to version 3. 41 when 3. 31 works so well. Maybe someone could help me make decision or at least clear the subject?
I have a question about root: I haven't done it yet, although TWRP encouraged me to do so. Is root necessary for further upgrade?
In my opinion if it works don’t touch it. I rooted my device and almost bricked it. I wasted hours restoring it. It kept crashing. If it ain’t broken don’t fix it!

Reactions: erem59
post-15849043
Post #452 of 454

travellersolo

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
At the very beginning, as a new user of this forum, I would like to express my great respect and appreciation and thanks for the work that jkbuha and prispewnic have put into this project, while respecting the contribution of all other forum members. In my opinion the results of this work are impressive.
For many years I used DAP iRiver H10 with Rockbox mod and 240GB drive. It still works well, but my expanding media library as well as tech progress of last years made me purchase the X5iii DAP.
X5iii tempted me with two uSD slots and a modern set of features. With 800 GB onboard, I now have almost all of my albums with me. A few days ago I installed Custom Kernel version 3.31. The whole process went smoothly, I applied 2016MHz version (Droid Info confirms that the processor sometimes goes to this frequency). The player is now fast and using it is pure pleasure. I owe it all to you guys, jkbuha and prispewnic.
Moreover, none of the problems described in this forum occured till now, especially overheating. I even think that the player heats up less now.
I wonder if it is worth switching to version 3. 41 when 3. 31 works so well. Maybe someone could help me make decision or at least clear the subject?
I have a question about root: I haven't done it yet, although TWRP encouraged me to do so. Is root necessary for further upgrade?
I joined the party late. May I know if this operation bring any improvement in sound quality?

post-15849567
Post #453 of 454

erem59

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I joined the party late. May I know if this operation bring any improvement in sound quality?
Methinks no. But it's only me with a sense of hearing slightly beyond 15kHz :frowning2:
On the other hand - what improvements it could bring to SQ if it is only kernel mod? But I'm Neutron guy, so maybe other software can benefit from it.
But for most X5iii users this mod is worth every penny. This DAP was laggy. Now it is veeery responding. Period.
Just few weeks ago I was considering M11, now I'm not.

Last edited:
post-15874600
Post #454 of 454

1ofamillion

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
So this mod has helped performance a lot, but I do have one big issue that still occurs. It happens on both the stock Fiio music app (I do keep it updated), and Neutron (though neutron is much worse, I also keep it updated). If I pause music and leave it for too long, then try to go back to resume play, the app usually won't be responsive at all. Sometimes it will eventually react, or the app crashes. Neutron is worse, because it will sometimes just straight up not show half of my music after the fact, and I'll have to rescan my library. It's honestly pretty annoying. This did happen before I used this customer kernel as well, and I initially thought the issue was slow performance. That doesn't seem to be the case, though. Does this sound like an SD card issue? I've tried reformatting both of my sd cards, but it didn't help unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)