Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Aug 15, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #196 of 575
I'm new to all this but today I upgraded my X5iii with the Purist 1.2.4 and the v.v32 kernel (running at 1416) but wow did it get hot when Iwas scanning for music/charging! (this thing needs a heatsink!). So the SD Cards came out and it went in the fridge for 5 minutes and now I'm back with the stock FiiO 1.2.1 firmware (aand upgrading to 1.2.5 via the OTA). Any thoughts, or suggestions, as to what might be wrong before I try again?
FYI I followed these instruction :https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-965#post-14769688 (though the link to SuperSu is broken)

Well I can only say that it also maybe depends on your player. I was unfortunate that I had a 'inferior' player which I also couldn't overclock to 1.7GHz (more info: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...dual-card-slot.828402/page-1000#post-14924078). It became extremely hot when connected to a charger or when trying to change firmwares etc. Sold this player and returned to my trusty X5 II. After a few months I bought a new X5 III and this time it was not a problem to overclock and it also didn't become very hot. And it feels like a complete different player.

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #197 of 575
Use a 5V charger or power bank to charge and play. 9V charger will bake your player - added value of 9-12V quick chargers. Smartphones probably have a better devised heat dissipation from the interior of the device through the surface - maybe also control the interior temperature.
Ah, it was a 'smart charger' (didn't FiiO say they supported these) which hadn't been an issue before but that does sound a possibility - thanks

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #198 of 575
Well I can only say that it also maybe depends on your player. I was unfortunate that I had a 'inferior' player which I also couldn't overclock to 1.7GHz (more info: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...dual-card-slot.828402/page-1000#post-14924078). It became extremely hot when connected to a charger or when trying to change firmwares etc. Sold this player and returned to my trusty X5 II. After a few months I bought a new X5 III and this time it was not a problem to overclock and it also didn't become very hot. And it feels like a complete different player.
Ah, thanks. I see that there's a NB ref in the 'About Device' that says L211a and that link you posted mentions a L311a (typo perhaps, or coincidence?). Is there any way to tell what they are inside (other than opening up) or how to tell supported clock speeds? Will this kernel, even at the slowest settings, be an improvement?

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #199 of 575
I’ve handled three different X5iii ‘s, two of which I remember the build number @Preachy1 you can chime in with yours I don’t recall, but mine is R132a & my dad’s is L211a. Both of those two handled 2016 fine. (jkbuha’s is L311a).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #200 of 575
Ah, thanks. I see that there's a NB ref in the 'About Device' that says L211a and that link you posted mentions a L311a (typo perhaps, or coincidence?). Is there any way to tell what they are inside (other than opening up) or how to tell supported clock speeds? Will this kernel, even at the slowest settings, be an improvement?

benchmarks alone are never the whole story, but there are geekbench and antutu benchmark results on https://kernelmods.com, which tell a very similar story to the ones I did on 1.2.4 stock and custom kernel @ slowest and performance setting. IE, measurable performance increases.

just for example these graphs are from antutu’s CPU test.

here’s sloppy stock kernel barely getting the most out of the CPU:
2C30B011-9B4E-4A89-8D77-4C679FE8A964.png

and here is the custom kernel running at the same base frequency of 1416 MHz, with the CPU behaving appropriately:
:deadhorse:
8BBA9549-1498-49EB-8596-F39FEA56DAF7.png

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #201 of 575
'was the lack of a FiiO logo on the faceplate below the screen'
Hmm, where should I be looking for this? I only see on a FiiO logo on the back panel (the front, or face(?) is all plastic touchscreen)

benchmarks alone are never the whole story, but there are geekbench and antutu benchmark results on https://kernelmods.com, which tell a very similar story to the ones I did on 1.2.4 stock and custom kernel @ slowest and performance setting. IE, measurable performance increases.
Agreed, I game a lot (despite my age :wink: ) and benchmarks aren't perfect, but those two examples are certainly interesting.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #202 of 575
Hmm, where should I be looking for this? I only see on a FiiO logo on the back panel (the front, or face(?) is all plastic touchscreen)

Agreed, I game a lot (despite my age :wink: ) and benchmarks aren't perfect, but those two examples are certainly interesting.

Logo (Rockchip 3188)87A887C0-23AF-417F-9E5F-753A35AB8C01.jpeg

No logo (rumored to have rockchip 3188T)
BDA27E8A-38D1-41E3-869B-B1BD81436FE9.jpeg

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #203 of 575
But again, it’s possible the differences aren’t clear cut; and some devices in certain markets might have the T variant and some don’t, despite the lack of logo. I say this because your player and my dad’s both are L211a, and his had the logo.
Don’t wanna be talking too much out of my...depth with all this. Who knows.

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #204 of 575
But again, it’s possible the differences aren’t clear cut; and some devices in certain markets might have the T variant and some don’t, despite the lack of logo. I say this because your player and my dad’s both are L211a, and his had the logo.
Don’t wanna be talking too much out of my...depth with all this. Who knows.
Np, no doubt it will remain a mystery :)

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #205 of 575
@jkbuha... so I know I said I'd pass along the info on the battery months ago, but amazingly, FiiO has STILL not managed to figure out how to get a replacement battery to me after nearly six months. (Grr.)
Having said that, here's the best I can decipher what's printed on the dead battery... in hopes you can figure out anything that will make adaptive charging a reality on the player in the future:

On one side, AFC 12.92W 4.3V However on the other side, there's a bar code with what seems to be conflicting info:
AEC604495 (?) 3400mA
6436K08481 3.8V

Bear in mind some of the above was VERY hard to read even under a magnifying glass (that last 5 in the upper-left series on the bar code side, for example) and I can't claim more than semi-accuracy.

Does any of that make ANY sense whatsoever?

S.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #206 of 575
@jkbuha... so I know I said I'd pass along the info on the battery months ago, but amazingly, FiiO has STILL not managed to figure out how to get a replacement battery to me after nearly six months. (Grr.)
Having said that, here's the best I can decipher what's printed on the dead battery... in hopes you can figure out anything that will make adaptive charging a reality on the player in the future:

On one side, AFC 12.92W 4.3V However on the other side, there's a bar code with what seems to be conflicting info:
AEC604495 (?) 3400mA
6436K08481 3.8V

Bear in mind some of the above was VERY hard to read even under a magnifying glass (that last 5 in the upper-left series on the bar code side, for example) and I can't claim more than semi-accuracy.

Does any of that make ANY sense whatsoever?

S.
I'd laugh if it wasn't so darn frustrating dealing with these companies. Looks to me like they use the same battery and just print one spec and number on one side and a different one on the other. You could try going here https://www.mouser.com/Power/Power-Management-ICs/Battery-Management/_/N-6g7mc?P=1y9iw3b and plugging in what you know to find a battery.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #207 of 575
My rusty electronics memory seems to recall that P(watts)=I*V (amps*volts) and 12.92W does equal 3400mA*3.8V - maybe the 4.3V is a max charging voltage? Anyway, a search on the US eBay site for 'aec battery 3.8v 3400' gave some promising results but I'm really no expert, though I can say that I recently had to source a smaller battery for a GPS unit and I found that getting the right size was a nightmare (I had to opt for a battery with lower amps in order that I could get one that fitted). Sorry i can't help more.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #208 of 575
My rusty electronics memory seems to recall that P(watts)=I*V (amps*volts) and 12.92W does equal 3400mA*3.8V - maybe the 4.3V is a max charging voltage? Anyway, a search on the US eBay site for 'aec battery 3.8v 3400' gave some promising results but I'm really no expert, though I can say that I recently had to source a smaller battery for a GPS unit and I found that getting the right size was a nightmare (I had to opt for a battery with lower amps in order that I could get one that fitted). Sorry i can't help more.

Thanks to you and @MinnieOne , but at this point my only real impetus to post isn't so much to bitch about the missing battery but to provide jkbuha with the info so that hopefully future versions of his kernel can implement adaptive charging and prevent others' batteries from blowing like mine did. For the record, the x5iii runs pretty well without the battery installed on the K5 dock (aside from some weirdness when powering off and on).

Edit: having had a look at eBay, I can say that at least *SIZE*/*SHAPE*-wise, the BL-T20 battery looks closest using those search parameters, but the connector is another story and I suspect it's a custom assembly for FiiO specifically.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #209 of 575
Logo (Rockchip 3188)

No logo (rumored to have rockchip 3188T)

Unless I'm very much mistaken, most - if not all - of the X5iii's have an RK3188T chip, not a RK3188. To prove this, anyone who knows how to use adb commands just needs to plug in the cable just after powering the device, adb shell into the player and run 'dmesg'. From the ensuing logs, both standard and modded kernel will show 'Contains RK3188T' in the first few lines. In fact, if anyone just has RK3188, please reach out :)

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #210 of 575
I'd laugh if it wasn't so darn frustrating dealing with these companies. Looks to me like they use the same battery and just print one spec and number on one side and a different one on the other. You could try going here https://www.mouser.com/Power/Power-Management-ICs/Battery-Management/_/N-6g7mc?P=1y9iw3b and plugging in what you know to find a battery.

Hello, few months ago i had to change the battery of my fiio, i used this one.

It fit perfectly, you just need to move from the old battery the circuit who is up to it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-3400-...656428?hash=item3d6216a5ac:g:7wcAAOSwZ3Ja4kBl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back