Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 28, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #14,986 of 15,899
full TWRP backup fw 1.2.4?? do you mean we can first flash fw 1.2.4 and do a backup from TWRP? Then in the future, we don't need to install fw1.2.4 from scratch (which will result in hacing TWRP removed) again?

Of course. TWRP makes a perfect backup and recovery from backup. The only risk is that it does it on the internal USB in the TWRP directory, where it is destroyed by the FiiO firmware. And TWRP can also back up to SD cards,
but can not restore them to other than internal USB.
1 solution - TWRP includes built-in Explorer (Advanced / File Manager menu) and copy complete TWRP directory from external SD card
2 solution - TWRP can connect to PC (Main menu / Mount) select Internal USB from menu and from PC backup PC is copied to internal USB.
Individual backups can be renamed for better orientation - better gap limit eg TWRP/Backups/X5/1.2.4_Gapps_k_V3.0
TWRP stands for the actual date, which will not be quite informative over time.
This directory structure must be unconditionally accepted, otherwise TWRP will fail.
And renaming enough in stress hahaha ..
Everything is personally checked in situations when a little cold on my back
The hole system is about 800-900 Mb. System with 3-5 applications 1.2 Gb to infinity. You must have adequate space on the internal USB

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #14,987 of 15,899
First impression is that new kernel (1.4GHz version) runs fine with Fidelizer 1.2.4 (Advanced Rom version). I don't rooted my device (not really necessary if you have the Advanced Rom version) and I haven't experienced any lock-ups or reboots. I have a lot more free memory! Normally (If I close everything) it's around 55% - so this is really a big plus. KillApps is really a useful tool to close apps (and System apps if you have the Pro version) and you don't have to root your device. I will test it further the next couple of days. Nice work!

Screenshot_2019-04-28-11-43-25.png

Can someone explain the difference between the boards/versions of X5III (why doesn't the 2GHz version work on some devices). All the lastest versions of the X5III need the 1.4GHz version (I have a new X5III)? And important question - if you use the 1.4GHz version is the difference huge (speed, maybe other features)?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #14,988 of 15,899
Congrats on this topic reaching 1000 pages. Almost 3 years after its creation, seems like this player has indeed found a new lease of life.

Can someone explain the difference between the boards/versions of X5III (why doesn't the 2GHz version work on some devices)

Short version: Electronically speaking, no two versions of the X5iii are the same. FiiO went for the safe route and found a low clock speed that worked for all electrical outcomes.

Long (engineering) version: There are two significantly diverging components on the X5iii motherboard (thanks to @ghosthost for spotting this with his photos); the CPU and the voltage oscillator. There's also some hint to the different versions in the Settings->About->NB field (Mine is a L311a for example, and I can clock up to 2208MHz). All boards and their components depend on their individual diecast thermal process to successfully work at higher frequencies. Thus for example, the RK3188 CPU runs naturally at 1800MHz but was downclocked to 1416MHz to allow for thermal runaway and eventual passive heat dissipation. The voltage oscillator clocks the CPU, GPU and DDR and is affected by the specific leakage current on the mainboard following the fabrication process. On bootup, a check runs in the kernel to determine how 'lossy' the leakage is through the circuitry, and if it is too high, well you have an 'inferior' version. Notwithstanding, with the right combination of kernel and scripting you can overclock as high as 2208MHz (I know because I've got it running on my own FiiO).

All the lastest versions of the X5III need the 1.4GHz version (I have a new X5III)? And important question - if you use the 1.4GHz version is the difference huge (speed, maybe other features)?
At the moment from about 200 installs in 24hours, there are about 60% of the X5iii's running on the 2016MHz version, and the remaining 40% on 1416MHz (which perversely contains practically all the FiiO users on the 4PDA forum, so there could be some geographical correlation here). I'm about to release a V3.01 which contains better processing at higher frequencies as well as an intermediate 1752MHz version. Notwithstanding the different max clock speeds, there are no other differences in the kernel, you get all the other benefits with each of the 3 versions.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #14,989 of 15,899
Always a pleasure to read your extended explanations - thanks mate!
(Mine is NB D311a)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #14,991 of 15,899
So what is NB L201a on the hierarchy of capabilities?

To be honest, I don't know what this nomenclature represents, but I'd like to understand more. As of the next version (3.01) there will be a tiny (anonymous) kernel dump in the data folder that you can send me if you wish for in-depth debugging, but unless we start a crowd-sourced poll to determine if there's any correlation between NB and clock speed I suspect we'll be none the wiser...

Apr 28, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #14,992 of 15,899
First impression is that new kernel (1.4GHz version) runs fine with Fidelizer 1.2.4 (Advanced Rom version). I don't rooted my device (not really necessary if you have the Advanced Rom version) and I haven't experienced any lock-ups or reboots. I have a lot more free memory! Normally (If I close everything) it's around 55% - so this is really a big plus. KillApps is really a useful tool to close apps (and System apps if you have the Pro version) and you don't have to root your device. I will test it further the next couple of days. Nice work!

Can someone explain the difference between the boards/versions of X5III (why doesn't the 2GHz version work on some devices). All the lastest versions of the X5III need the 1.4GHz version (I have a new X5III)? And important question - if you use the 1.4GHz version is the difference huge (speed, maybe other features)?

Without GoogleApps and I have a free RAM 712 Mb + Settings 36 Mb = approx. 750 Mb.
Previously using Booster max 550 Mb.
It is now quite a pleasure to use FiiO Music, album images are loading fast as in a smart phone

RAM.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #14,993 of 15,899
Congrats on this topic reaching 1000 pages. Almost 3 years after its creation, seems like this player has indeed found a new lease of life.

Short version: Electronically speaking, no two versions of the X5iii are the same. FiiO went for the safe route and found a low clock speed that worked for all electrical outcomes.

Long (engineering) version: There are two significantly diverging components on the X5iii motherboard (thanks to @ghosthost for spotting this with his photos); the CPU and the voltage oscillator. There's also some hint to the different versions in the Settings->About->NB field (Mine is a L311a for example, and I can clock up to 2208MHz). All boards and their components depend on their individual diecast thermal process to successfully work at higher frequencies. Thus for example, the RK3188 CPU runs naturally at 1800MHz but was downclocked to 1416MHz to allow for thermal runaway and eventual passive heat dissipation. The voltage oscillator clocks the CPU, GPU and DDR and is affected by the specific leakage current on the mainboard following the fabrication process. On bootup, a check runs in the kernel to determine how 'lossy' the leakage is through the circuitry, and if it is too high, well you have an 'inferior' version. Notwithstanding, with the right combination of kernel and scripting you can overclock as high as 2208MHz (I know because I've got it running on my own FiiO).

At the moment from about 200 installs in 24hours, there are about 60% of the X5iii's running on the 2016MHz version, and the remaining 40% on 1416MHz (which perversely contains practically all the FiiO users on the 4PDA forum, so there could be some geographical correlation here). I'm about to release a V3.01 which contains better processing at higher frequencies as well as an intermediate 1752MHz version. Notwithstanding the different max clock speeds, there are no other differences in the kernel, you get all the other benefits with each of the 3 versions.

prispewnic already posted on 4PDA final (???) versions 3.01 1752 and 1416.

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=84803768

I hope that my player will not disappoint me and will survive the first boot to 1752 in health.
So far, he had no problems, he only restarted in PureMusic mode.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #14,994 of 15,899
prispewnic already posted on 4PDA final (???) versions 3.01 1752 and 1416.

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=84803768

I hope that my player will not disappoint me and will survive the first boot to 1752 in health.
So far, he had no problems, he only restarted in PureMusic mode.

Yes they are the final versions (in fact they're linked to my filehost) but as per my previous post, they're mainly for the 4PDA users seeing as they were experiencing issues at 2016MHz. There doesn't seem to be any similar issues on this forum, so I'll only publish them here once testing there is completed. Other than stability at higher frequencies, the only other change is the additional debug information, so not a necessary upgrade if you're happy on 3.0

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #14,995 of 15,899
Yes they are the final versions (in fact they're linked to my filehost) but as per my previous post, they're mainly for the 4PDA users seeing as they were experiencing issues at 2016MHz. There doesn't seem to be any similar issues on this forum, so I'll only publish them here once testing there is completed. Other than stability at higher frequencies, the only other change is the additional debug information, so not a necessary upgrade if you're happy on 3.0

OOo I am very happy but for better sleep I tried version 1752 and the same experience as on 4PDA.
After the second boot hardened on the desktop.
I just made a reflash with V3.01 1416 and everything is ok. If you collect data with the dmesg protocol, dmesg is included in email
Firmware 1.2.4
NB L211A

Attachments

• dmesg.first_boot.txt
    65.8 KB · Views: 0
  • dmesg.second_boot.txt
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #14,996 of 15,899
We only miss 309 pages to match the original FiiO X5-Classic thread. There's some hope, but there's no significant Romanian reviewer Dobrescu George. And here are more questions

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #14,997 of 15,899
I have a question.
1. Why should I send a defective player to another country, at my own expense, if in my country there is a Fiio representative office, and in my city there is an official Fiio service center?
2. Why the official seller Fiio on Aliexspress does not want to solve the problem with marriage, but constantly refers to you?
"Chris lee: Dear max
please kindly send email to my colleague support@fiio.net you can send the video to them ,they will help you to solve it /:000
"Chris lee: my colleague will reply you today .. don't worried" ? I bought the product from him, the official representative of Fiio, but I have a feeling that neither he nor you do not want to properly support my clients. In this thread, everyone has already expressed that you should send a new player. You saw the marriage video. He himself wrote to me that "It may be a hardware issue with your X5III".
3. The forum 4PDA showed other cases of marriage after the sale on Aliexpress in the official store
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=84793158
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=84794204
I am more than confident that the seller was aware of the marriage. And now she wants to put all the problems on you.
4. Why the seller on Aliexpress does not ask to open a dispute, although this is the rule of the trading platform. At w3bsit3-dns.com there is another person with a defective player, to whom you wrote the same message as me
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=84791880

I consider that it is dishonest and ugly under the pretext of a cheap price to send deliberately defective goods. You must influence this lawlessness. This seller harms your reputation. Let him send me a new and non-defective Fiiox5 /3.
Dear representative of Fiio, will you help in solving my problem?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #14,998 of 15,899
Hopefully this proves useful as a reference for those installing stock or custom firmware (the Fidelizer Purist ROMs by WindowsX), and kernel+scripts (jkbuha & prispewnic from 4PDA).

Many have already done this successfully even with some of the instructions focused or scattered on different pages of the thread.

Links to anything you need are provided within. This set of instructions goes for anyone with a windows home computer. Best of luck!

Going forward, please keep any of your precious microSD cards removed from your player, and be aware anything on your player’s internal storage is going to be wiped.
-this should be obvious, but let’s continue

Grab the 1.2.4 purist rom as well as the FiiO firmware upgrade tool from this link:
https://www.fidelizer-audio.com/fiio-x5iii-purist-rom-version-1-2-4-released/

Whether or not you're installing custom firmware, I stand by using the firmware upgrade tool to reinstall the stock update.img that comes with it, then installing firmware 1.2.4 variant afterwards.
-If going Stock route, Once stock 1.2.1 is reinstalled, install the X5-ota-1.2.4.zip found here: http://m.fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44018&extra=page=1 via the technical support application. Then perform a factory data reset (in the Settings App) w/ internal storage wipe.
-If going Fidelizer route, Once stock 1.2.1 is reinstalled, repeat steps but replace the update.img as described below

Begin by installing the latest usb drivers:
http://fiio-file.fiio.net/FiiO_USB_DAC_Driver-V4.47.0.zip

Then run the RKDriverInstall exe from the firmware upgrade tool folder.

Fidelizer Step Only: Delete or remove the ‘update’ disc image file from the firmware upgrade tool folder, and replace it with the ‘update’ disc image from the extracted from WindowsXPurist1.2.4 folder. The purist disc image will be the smaller of the two.

Hold down the “Previous Track” rocker button (the one closest to the volume dial) with your player powered down and connect the micro USB cable from your computer to your player.
-You should have heard a connection chime, and your player's screen should remain off. The player is now in the "bootloader" mode

Right click on the firmware upgrade tool exe in the firmware upgrade tool folder and run as administrator.

With ‘√ Device Connected’ showing, click the green ‘Upgrade Now’ button ONLY ONCE. Wait patiently.
-The progress bar will move along, and in the process you will hear several connection chimes.
-STOCK: It is done when your player has booted up to the language selection screen.
-FIDELIZER: It is done when you see the white battery icon on your player's screen, and the blue LED power indicator illuminated.
-Hold down your player's power button and allow it to boot up/initialize, etc.

From the settings app, scroll to 'System', then hit 'Factory data reset', scroll down and check the 'Erase internal storage' box, hit the grey 'RESET DEVICE' button.
-Let this do its thing and wait for the player to reboot.
-You can disconnect USB from player at this time.

- END OF FIRMWARE STEPS -
******************************************************************************************************

Next we've got to install the TWRP (Custom Recovery) loader.
-found here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899882
-unzip this to your desktop or wherever.

Power off your player again, and put it in bootloader mode by connecting to USB holding down the previous track button.

Open AndroidTool.exe from the loader folder.
- 'One Loader Device Found' should be displayed.
-Make sure that checkbox #2 'boot.img' & #3 'Image\recovery_twrp.img' are checked.

Press 'Run' and wait until the loader operation is completed.

Go to 'Advanced Function' and click "Reset Device".
-You should have heard a connection chime, and your player is released to a powered off and charging state, like when you installed the Fidelizer firmware.
-Go ahead and disconnect your player from USB cable.

Power on your player, allow it to boot up/initialize, etc.

Download the kernel+optimization scripts by jkbuha.
-links found in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-998#post-14922446
-choose 1.4 GHz for problematic devices, 1896 MHz (2 GHz) for more stable hardware. 1752 MHz version when it is available.
-if unsure choose 1.4 GHz option to start, if successful in the end, create a backup in TWRP, select 5 options (Boot, Data, Kernel, Recovery, & System). Backup is stored on internal storage under TWRP/Backup/X5. Create backup and copy this to your home computer. Flash higher speed kernel in TWRP to test your device for stability. If it works, great! If unstable on your device, restore your backup in TWRP. You can't lose.

Download SuperSU (root).
-found here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ch3om94ugjlvjm/SuperSU_PRO_v2.79SR4.zip/file

It is recommended at this point to turn off the lock screen, changed under Settings app, Device, Security, then Screen Security, set screen lock to none.
Also in Settings app, Device, Display, Sleep After, set to 10 or 30 minutes.
-this will help to make sure you don't miss vital prompts down the line confirming successful kernel optimizations.
-once successful feel free to set these back to your preferred options.

Plug USB back into your player, and mount its internal storage.
-Without being too verbose, you should see the green android guy and a "turn on usb storage" button and click ok
-Once you see the internal storage as a volume on your computer, you're going to want to drag the two zips to an easy to access location, like the 'Download' folder on the X5's internal storage.
-Once that's copied go ahead and safely eject / unmount the X5 volume from your computer
-Click "turn off usb storage" button on your X5
-Power down your X5

To enter TWRP custom recovery, power off your player then simultaneously hold down the following three buttons:
-Play/Pause (Remain pressed until you see blue TWRP splash screen)
-Previous Track (Remain pressed until you see blue TWRP splash screen)
-Power (Release when FiiO ‘Welcome’ logo appears)

You should now be at the home page in TWRP

Press 'Install' and navigate to sdcard/Downloads
-here you should see the two zips you added to the folder
Select the jkbuha 3.0 zip and swipe to install
-once this is done installing hit the 'wipe dalvik/cache' button

Navigate back to home page in TWRP
-click 'Advanced' then 'Fix Permissions' and swipe right
-A 'Reboot System' button should appear when this is done, hit that
-You may see a notice here "It appears you device is not rooted, would you like to install SuperSU" or something to that effect. DO NOT swipe to install. Hit "Do Not Install" and let your player reboot.

Depending on the number of applications installed on your device, this app optimization step can take up to 5 minutes or so, but stay vigilant.
-once you get to home screen observe bottom of the display for prompts for user to reboot device.
-these typically show up within 1-2 minutes.
-if user does not manually reboot (hold down power button, reboot) scripts will countdown to an automatic reboot of player (done in about 15-20 minutes)

Upon reboot observe bottom of the display for "Kernel 3.0: All Optimizations Done"

At this point you should have the Fidelizer 1.2.4 firmware (if applied) and the latest kernel, scripts, boot optimizations, etc. installed.

However you may remember we added the SuperSU (root) zip to your downloads folder on the X5.

So again enter TWRP recovery by doing the play/pause, previous track and power button combination from above.

Go to 'Install'
-and select the SuperSU zip
-swipe to install
-then hit 'wipe dalvik/cache'

Go back home in TWRP
-Go to advanced 'Fix Permissions' then 'Reboot System'
-If done right you should not see the 'It appears your device is not rooted, would you like to install SuperSU' notice that appeared previously.

Let your player reboot and initialize, etc.

With root access, you are going to want to install greenify, kernel adiutor, as well as an application like Titanium Backup Pro (about $6 on google play store) because with that, you can freeze applications (like google play services or google services framework) or delete unnecessary applications (like es file explorer, animated wallpapers, alternative language keyboards, fiio market app, email & exchange apps, stock browser)

Bumping this lengthy how-to, updated with most recent links to stock/custom firmware and kernel and steps that better reflect the install process as it exists now.

*edit* pls view post directly via my signature as not all links are migrating properly in the quote above xD *edit*

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #14,999 of 15,899
Dear representative of Fiio, will you help in solving my problem?
Dear friend,

You bought the X5III from Aliexpress instead of the local seller. So the local seller could not help about that for you. If you would like to enjoy after-sale service from your local country, you could buy the product from the local store instead. But the price may be more expensive comparing to the price in Aliexpress.
The staff in charge of Aliexpress is not familiar with product issue so she forward your issue to our support. And we could replace the defective for you but you would need to send the X5III on your hand back to us as well.
And in order to expressing apology for you, we provide a discount for you new order.
Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you. Your kind understanding would be appreciated.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back