Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Oct 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #227 of 446
No, that's not the scenario. DX90 "remembers" the last volume setting. If set to max when listening to DX + amp combo (headphones are plugged to amp output and two units are connected via DX LO and Amp Line In). The volume will be still set to max when you may decide to use it in DX90 standalone operation and plug headphones to DX headphone output (HO).

Guarantee it will rattle your eardrums a little 
basshead.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #228 of 446
This is of course with the separate amp?  Like this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=DX90+with+amp&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Uh07VNXCGYq6igK9iYHIDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=979#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=jmdSFX4Bz1dsJM%253A%3Befd2jC2uSWpqvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg.tapatalk.com%252Fd%252F14%252F05%252F18%252Fguqyqe2e.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.head-fi.org%252Ft%252F602493%252Fnew-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012%252F2100%3B1024%3B765

Sorry I am very new to all of this so just right off the bat its all "A LOT" to take in....But exciting at the same time so some simpler terminology maybe, Like those books for "Idiots Guide". I am just not grasping it all, and seem to have trouble finding adequate information, for my brain to soak in :)...

Thanks fella's I really appreciate the patience you all have with me! 

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #229 of 446
So, your talking about plugging the headphones in through the portable amp (that would be another unit attached to the DX90). I thought the DX90 has a built in amp and equalizer...I am very new to this scene, have had Ipod's and other mp3 players but nothing of this Caliber. And i have spent a good three weeks researching about the players them self, but seem to lack the knowledge about accessories that can amplify your experience. So with that being said I have about 50% clarity on what the DX90 does with specific components, higher quality and such. Have gotten the burn-in aspect of it, but lack the knowledge of the accessories...Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I will also be able to check out head phone quality through a store to make the right selection for those as well....Before purchase.

Thanks guys!! 

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #230 of 446
Sorry about any confusion. I'm talking in general about line out not specific to the DX90.

You are correct in that anything with a headphone socket has an amplifier. It has to. What I am describing is for headphones that are inadequately powered from a device with a weak amplifier output, so in this case you can use a portable amplifier to properly power difficult to drive headphones by connecting a more powerful portable amp with a line out cable coming from the DAP to the amps input.

Line out on other players can be a separate jack, like the X5. This usually provides a cleaner signal than simply turning up the volume to maximum, unless the DAP is designed to be used in this manner. Either way, if you simply plug your headphones to a line out jack or with the volume cranked to max you will likely damage your ears and maybe your headphones. That is why I say don't do it.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #231 of 446
I think a lot of confusion here stems from the fact that DX90 has a dedicated LO but it is volume controlled rather than set to certain fixed level. So when paired with amp the volume can be set with amp pot as well as DAP volume buttons simultaneously.

I don't see any advantage in this, just get used to it and remember not to plug anything into HO before checking the volume level first because it might be set too high.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #232 of 446
I think a lot of confusion here stems from the fact that DX90 has a dedicated LO but it is volume controlled rather than set to certain fixed level. So when paired with amp the volume can be set with amp pot as well as DAP volume buttons simultaneously.

I don't see any advantage in this, just get used to it and remember not to plug anything into HO before checking the volume level first because it might be set too high.

Advantage is they don't need to design a volume control circuit that could eat PCB space and make DX90 bigger. More circuit, means more source of noise and distortion. Not to mention it will also bring the cost up a bit.

Digital volume control on 32-bit DACs like tge Sabre should not be a problem and do not affect SNR not destrying significant bits like the older 16-bit DACs.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #233 of 446
  So, your talking about plugging the headphones in through the portable amp (that would be another unit attached to the DX90). I thought the DX90 has a built in amp and equalizer...I am very new to this scene, have had Ipod's and other mp3 players but nothing of this Caliber. And i have spent a good three weeks researching about the players them self, but seem to lack the knowledge about accessories that can amplify your experience. So with that being said I have about 50% clarity on what the DX90 does with specific components, higher quality and such. Have gotten the burn-in aspect of it, but lack the knowledge of the accessories...Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I will also be able to check out head phone quality through a store to make the right selection for those as well....Before purchase.

Thanks guys!! 

Hi Magic!

This is the simplest break-down that works for me at the risk of omitting other helpful info.

Your intended ATH-M50xBL headphones are relatively easy to "drive"/power.  Meaning that you could even plug them in to just your phone's headphone jack and easily get a good amount of volume coming through them.  The impedance rating for those headphones is only 38 ohm which the DX90 should provide with power to spare.  You probably wouldn't be able to tolerate listening to how loud they'd be at the DX90's max volume.  (As a reference, my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones are 300 ohm!)  So I truly don't believe that an added amp is necessary for you if you are going to be using the ATH-M50xBL headphones that you mentioned buying in your first post.

To give you guidelines from my personal experiences:  (All are at the DX90's  LOW gain setting unless otherwise noted)  LOW MED HI gain (Power) options available on the DX90.  The volume settings go from 0 up to 255.

Consumer-Grade
*V-MODA BASS Freq  (Earbuds):  ~33 ohm - Easy to drive/power  Comfortable listening volume level 200 out of 255
*Koss Porta Pros (On Ears): ~60 ohm - Still easy to drive/power  Comfortable listening volume level 235 out of 255
*Photive PH-BTX6 (Over Ears):  ?? ohm - LOUD BASS headphones while wired and via Bluetooth (With a Bluetooth dongle) Comfortable listening volume level 230 out of 255

Audiophile-Grade
*Grado SR225e (On Ears):  ~32 ohm - Easy to drive/power  Comfortable listening volume level 200 out of 255
*Sennheiser HD-650 (Over ears): ~ 300 ohm - Hard to drive Comfortable listening volume level 255 out of 255 (Hi GAIN)

Please bear in mind that I have a really bad head cold, so the levels are a little higher today than normal, but there has never been a time that the Sennheisers have been "too loud" for me while playing any audio track.  The Sennheisers are the ONLY reason why I would use a portable external amp unit with my DX90. 

To put this in perspective, I don't need external amplification for most of my headphones if I'm using one of our iPADs or iPhones.  But the music is relatively "flat" and thin.  The FIIO e17 DAC/AMP that I hook up to them get them to sound MUCH better.  (About maybe 70% of the sound quality I get out of the DX90 whereas I'd say that without the e17, they are only 50% of the sound quality of the DX90 by itself.)  This is with the e17 acting ONLY as an amplifier.   There is a way to get the e17 to work as a DAC with the Apple devices as well, but I just don't have the patience for it, especially since the DX90 does everything well by itself.  That said, there are similar products that work directly plugged in to Apple portable music products like iFi's Nano or Micro iDSD DAC/amp units for example.  I suspect that reasons like this where people are trying to get other music player's inferior/underpowered DACs and amps to sound better are why you are probably reading so much about portable stackable amps and DACs.  But in your particular case, I don't believe that those are necessary for you since you are starting off with a GOOD DAP (Digital Audio Player) like the DX90 or an X5.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #234 of 446

Indeed!  That go me after I'd used the LO for the first time. :D

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #235 of 446
Advantage is they don't need to design a volume control circuit that could eat PCB space and make DX90 bigger. More circuit, means more source of noise and distortion. Not to mention it will also bring the cost up a bit.

Digital volume control on 32-bit DACs like tge Sabre should not be a problem and do not affect SNR not destrying significant bits like the older 16-bit DACs.

Agreed on all points, but following this design route iBasso should implement in FW user defined volume level on power-up. It would make it more user friendly. I believe it could be done in FW.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #236 of 446
Agreed on all points, but following this design route iBasso should implement in FW user defined volume level on power-up. It would make it more user friendly. I believe it could be done in FW.

As you may notice already, software is not iBasso's strength. They can't even properly implement some basic playback functions.

Thus, we are using Rockbox.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #237 of 446
As you may notice already, software is not iBasso's strength. They can't even properly implement some basic playback functions.

Thus, we are using Rockbox.

The best thing since sliced bread...
tongue.gif

Might setup rockbox max volume to something reasonable and be done with it. Or is there something more sophisticated in rockbox buried deeper in Settings menu? 

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #238 of 446
The best thing since sliced bread...:p

Might setup rockbox max volume to something reasonable and be done with it. Or is there something more sophisticated in rockbox buried deeper in Settings menu? 

For now just set the max volume to a level you are comfortable with. I have not looked into LO yet, but I think RB can detect it if you plug something in LO, From there it's possible to apply settings specific to that action including volume level.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #239 of 446
That would be fantastic. Rockbox never ceases to amaze me.

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #240 of 446
That would be fantastic. Rockbox never ceases to amaze me.

It's open source. Anyone can add/enhance it. That is why it's great. I believe iBasso would benefit if they release their software as open source. They don't need to worry much of software and just concentrate on hardware which they are very good at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back