Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Sep 15, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #136 of 446
I am in love with my two best portable amps ALO Continental V2 and RSA Intruder they both serve for different flavor with X5 and LCD 2.2.
I see that you got Pan Amp..how is it with LCD 2 ? Mike from Headfonia loves that pairing.

Looks like you've got a couple of great amps!

At the risk of being a little dramatic I'd say that the Pan Am and LCD-2 are simply made for each other. The musicality is ridiculous. There seems to be an emotional connection with that pair that I find rare in head fi. I'm not a fan of the DAC in the Pan Am, but the amp makes a great match with the LCD-2.

I'd say Mike is right on with the Pan Am/Audeze pairing (it was his review that pushed me over the edge). Too bad the Pan Am is being discontinued.

To stay in topic, I'd really like to try the DX90.

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #137 of 446
Thank you for youre reply:) oh and i forgot to ask one more thing,which is the maxium output power of the dx90 because i plan in the future to buy another pair of headphones till 100 ohm impedance and  i would like to know if the dx is capable of driving them at their fullest without aditional amping.

examples:beyerdynamic dt 1350(80 ohms) or sennheiser hd 600
  In the end, both the dx90 and x5 sound great, but I use them for different genres and different pairings to get the sound I like as well as for variety of signature. The key difference isn't that one is better, it is that they present the music differently. So what you are hearing from everyone in this thread is each individuals preference for the signature, and quite often, their preference in genres. 

IMO, the X5 is intimate as if you are on stage in a small venue with the details right next to you thick with textures that you wouldn't hear at a distance. On the other hand, the dx90 is back a section where you can take in the music as a whole as if in a larger theater. The X5 is great for voice, electronic, etc that sounds great up close and the DX90 is great for orchestra, big band, live, etc where it is better to take in the performance as a whole. There are some crossover genres where the better match depends on the song such as rock or pop so these areas would be a toss up. To answer your specific questions:

1. They are both neutral, but the X5 is warmer and thicker at the bottom, although both have powerful bass.
  2. The X5 can be played lower at volumes while achieving a full sound stage, but will get brighter as it is turned up to loud volumes. So if you like it loud, the X5 will show some brightness that bothers many. As a relatively low volume listener, this is not an issue for me.
  3. The X5 is the one for thick texturing given the right headphone pairing. Its my best match for my NT6pro for that reason. The DX90 presents its details differently with incredible layering for a bigger 3D sound stage.
  4. Different sound stages as describe above - X5 = intimate, DX90 = larger, live venue. However, the x5 with its thicker texturing feels more dynamic to me. Others would argue the converse.
  5. Both are capable of great detail, but presented differently, textures verse layering. This is more of a function of the HP though and its capabilities as you will see both scale nicely as you scale up your HP.
  6. Bass is powerful with both, but thicker more meaty texture on the X5 vs. more impact, faster on the DX90. For electronic, I always reach for my X5.

Given that you have a Amperior, that will be the signature that will shine through which I believe would be a v-sig so the x5 would help bring the mids closer if I am correct. Based on what you are saying, the X5 would probably be the better option in my opinion. But you would be very happy with either if you are upgrading from a phone/iDevice looking for another all in one.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #139 of 446
  HD600 are 300 ohms. DT1350s will be fine. Seems owners of the DX90 think the 600 types work well but it may also have to do with volume and efficiency. I'd look at efficiency along with impedance when choosing phones. X5 can comfortably drive just about anything.

so that means the dx 90 has more than enough power to drive >100 ohm headphonees at full capacity (dont mistake with volume)is that right?

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #140 of 446
Should, yes, if you mean to what most consider and uncomfortable volume but dealing in absolutes is a dangerous game. There may be a 100 ohm headphone out there that neither can drive though the X5 would do better in this absolute. Being able to drive something is a function of load and efficiency and actually a couple other factors that are hard to quantify on a spec sheet.. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #141 of 446
This past week I finally got to hear the DX 90. My opinions are very similar to most: the 90 has a wider, deeper soundstage with a little more separation up top, and faster, less punchy bass. Unfortunately my unit was defective so I had to send it back. Ended up scoring a sweet deal on my second X5, and I'm very glad I did. I feel much better with the "in the recording studio sound" as opposed to "in the back of the concert hall." Also, if you want to feel bass,get the X5. If you want to hear it, the DX 90 may be right up your alley.

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #142 of 446
Which one is better for Jazz? I'm looking for bass texture, cleanliness, big staging, and detailed imaging. Also which one has the better sturdier build?

I've read the x5 will pass both dff and dsf but the dx90 only does dsf. Is this true? 

And what is wrong with the ibasso website? When I try to look at anything on their website it just takes me to firmware downloads. No links are working. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #145 of 446
Well in the end i bought the fiio x5 it arived today, i auditioned it like 2 hours  and i must say im pleased with the build quality and the sound is good clear very good mids and hights BUT i feel it lacks the bass impact that my OOOLLDDDD amp (Technics class AB) gives and i wonder why is that can someone tell me?even though i have the amperior wich are famous for the outstandig bass reproduction i feel the x5 doesent deliver the impact i like except that the fiio is 3x times beeter.

Does it have to do that the fact that the amp is class ab and in terms it has the instant power rezerves to instantly power the coil in the driver? or simply put the fiio x5 just cant give that?or thats how its suposed to be heard?

Just as a side note i raised all the bass eq barrs to +6DB and put it on high gain just to come close to the technics amp, dont know maybe im missing something its just wierd that i need to do that on such easy to drive headphone(AMPERIOR),maybe my unit is faulty....... i just dont know

Hope you can enlighten me because i realy am confused right now!

Side note 2 my amp is a dedicated speaker amp with hedphone output to!

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #146 of 446
  Well in the end i bought the fiio x5 it arived today, i auditioned it like 2 hours  and i must say im pleased with the build quality and the sound is good clear very good mids and hights BUT i feel it lacks the bass impact that my OOOLLDDDD amp (Technics class AB) gives and i wonder why is that can someone tell me?even though i have the amperior wich are famous for the outstandig bass reproduction i feel the x5 doesent deliver the impact i like except that the fiio is 3x times beeter.

Does it have to do that the fact that the amp is class ab and in terms it has the instant power rezerves to instantly power the coil in the driver? or simply put the fiio x5 just cant give that?or thats how its suposed to be heard?

Just as a side note i raised all the bass eq barrs to +6DB and put it on high gain just to come close to the technics amp, dont know maybe im missing something its just wierd that i need to do that on such easy to drive headphone(AMPERIOR),maybe my unit is faulty....... i just dont know

Hope you can enlighten me because i realy am confused right now!

Side note 2 my amp is a dedicated speaker amp with hedphone output to!

Well I don't think you can really compare the amp of a portable device to that of a speaker amp... That'd be like comparing a Razor scooter to a Ducati...

The X5 has a much closer-to-neutral presentation than the X3. If you like the extra bass the X3 has, you certainly could sell and buy one. Or you could change to a more bass-heavy pair of headphones. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #147 of 446
  Well I don't think you can really compare the amp of a portable device to that of a speaker amp... That'd be like comparing a Razor scooter to a Ducati...

The X5 has a much closer-to-neutral presentation than the X3. If you like the extra bass the X3 has, you certainly could sell and buy one. Or you could change to a more bass-heavy pair of headphones. 

Well i agre with you but considerig the power that the x5 is capable off and the fact that the amperiors are easy to drive quite very easy i am questioning myself why isnt the sound so beefyan extended........im just mising something

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #148 of 446
    Well lol this is suprising but i must say that the x5 has a problem or its just a bul****, i conected my headphones to my old Sony ericsson W995(WALKMAN)phone just to realize how bad the bass and extension on the x5 is,im not nuts and i know what to expect from something that has 10 x the power of a little phone (W995) and my conclusion is that my unit is broken or the player is just very bad,
    I mean its very frustrating just comparing a dedicated DAC+AMP WITH A LITTLE PHONE just to find out that its not so good as i expected.

i understand its neutral but when i pump the eq + 2,4,6DB i must feel something in the sound but its just a light bump and thats all.

i cant belive a liitle phone can deliver so huge extended and impactful bass(not as much as the amplifier) and the fiio cant considering their output power diferences is huge:

Fiio x5 :460 mW at 32 ohm

W995:>1mW 

This is wrong.

soory for ccomplaying so much im just angry and maybe i can find an answer here and a confort.

Thank you!

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #149 of 446
You do realize output power and bass quantity (as in FR curve) has no direct relationship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back