Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Sep 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #123 of 446
Only ever used it as a single unit portable so can't personally comment beyond that. Apparently, the DX90 sonics are well liked as a DAC but is still using beta drivers for a PC and no MAC driver yet. They're coming but it's something to consider if that's a primary use. I'd check out the main DX90 thread for more specific info. X5 apparently works without much issue as DAC and again, I'd refer to it's main thread.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #124 of 446
X5 sound is neutral with a bit of warmth it works for any headphones out there. Dual micro sd card, stand alone USB DAC and good internal amp, Great value!
Dx90 slightly clinical, very clean and less textured sound. Better for modern music. Single micro sd, no usb DAC and weaker internal amp.

I think this is the latest statement that is being referenced. It's not entirely incorrect as I can use it as a USB DAC for my home theater PC running Windows 7 32-bit, and all of my other desktops and laptops, but my Photoshop workstation with Windows 8.1 64-bit O/S will not accept the drivers as they are not digitally signed. Likewise, people who have MAC computers also seem to be unable to use the DX90 as a USB DAC...

That said, I have personally heard the DX90 in its USB capacity, and consider it competent against what I normally get through my Sennheiser RS-180 setup for movies. (Clean dialogue, and slightly wide soundstage.). But I haven't used it to listen to high-end FLAC. I don't even have any dedicated audio software on it. (Though I hear that VLPlayer is highly-regarded by some.)

Bottom-line: Yes, the DX90 can act as a USB DAC. If you need an evaluation, I can do one for you, but please keep your expectations low, as I'm about as green as you can get in the audiophile world, and don't yet consider myself worthy of the distinction. PCs available to test if it makes a difference: Laptops: Sony Vaio, HP DV7, & HP Elitebook 8440p. Towers: Dell XPS 8500, HP m8120n Media PC, Dell Inspiron 530 (Home theater PC) and 3 or 4 "Generic PCs" if you need a specific chipset or CPU to compare, I can PM you with a detailed list of them from I7, down to quad and dual cores, and finally, mobile chips.)

Unfortunately, I too will have to wait to see what the DX90 is like with my best PC though...

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #125 of 446
So it looks like there is finally an update for DX 90 to enable it as a stand alone dac which is a good news!
If so that will change my view to it.

I purchased both X5 and DX90 first time they came out and after two weeks I decided to choose X5 and returned the other.
I wrote an early impression in this thread long time ago and at the time I was leaning towards X5 for it's broader features and versatility.
At that time, the very first firmware, DX 90 was a a little buggy, freezed often, max capacity at 64 GB and no usb Dac.
I never had problem with X5 and it didn't take long to burn.
So..my choice was clear!

I honestly think both are very excellent player. With the update firmware on DX90 i wouldn't mind to try it again.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #127 of 446
Hey Mr Goodvibes, sorry if it came across a little rude i was just messing with you. I got a habit of being too honest and blunt and part of it is the LA thing lol.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #128 of 446
I am still confused but i will make this last post and hope you can help me with a devenitive answer.

Leaving the ergonomics behind i just want a good answer for both X5 and DX 90 in terms of sound quality, i will be paring one of them with my curent headphones SENNHEISER AMPERIOR so the things i am looking into these 2 players in terms off sound quality are the folowing:

-neutral with a bit of warmth
-i dont like (especialy the treble)harsh,bright and sibling
-textured so i can feel the sound like its alive and coming out of the headphones but not to much to sound wierd
-dinamyc and a good soundstage(im not a soundstage fanatic)
-good details and clear through out the spectrum
-quality bass reproduction because 50% of the music i listen is electronic so i need the player to deliver quality bass and quantity when i need it without loosing quality(im not a basshead ) and without sacraficing the mids and hights.

These are the thing i want one of the players to do to be balanced and do every thing i listed there good.

I hope you can help me please!

Thank you!

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #129 of 446
  I am still confused but i will make this last post and hope you can help me with a devenitive answer.

Leaving the ergonomics behind i just want a good answer for both X5 and DX 90 in terms of sound quality, i will be paring one of them with my curent headphones SENNHEISER AMPERIOR so the things i am looking into these 2 players in terms off sound quality are the folowing:

-textured so i can feel the sound like its alive and coming out of the headphones but not to much to sound wierd
-quality bass reproduction because 50% of the music i listen is electronic so i need the player to deliver quality bass and quantity when i need it without loosing quality(im not a basshead ) and without sacraficing the mids and hights.

These are the thing i want one of the players to do to be balanced and do every thing i listed there good.

Thank you!

I've got both the DX90 and the X5 and use them with a variety of ear/headphones but mostly the AKG K3003i, Fischer Amps FA4 XB, B+W P7 and the B+O H6.

I find the DX90 to be a little more detailed in the highs and probably gives a bit more texture/layers to the music.  However the X5 for me is not far off and I think has a little bit more warmth to the sound esp in the bass dept.  Soundstage etc I find them to be much the same, both give great depth and width on all my ear/headphones.

I personally think you wouldn't be disappointed with either.  They are both great bits of kit. 
I initially had a Sony ZX1/PHA-2 set up and for a while I thought that it was the better system but over time found that the DX90/X5 were more than equal and in some respects better options esp when you factor in cost of the ZX1/PHA-2 compared to the Ibasso/Fiio.

I'm sure others will disagree with my thoughts but I suppose that is the beauty/downside of Headfi.  You can ask for opinions and sometimes you will find that there are certain long time posters have similar music tastes or similar way in which they like to hear their music and you can gauge a purchase on that.  I do this with earphones, there are certain reviews that I would factor in when buying and others that I would ignore. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #130 of 446

Thank you!

In the end, both the dx90 and x5 sound great, but I use them for different genres and different pairings to get the sound I like as well as for variety of signature. The key difference isn't that one is better, it is that they present the music differently. So what you are hearing from everyone in this thread is each individuals preference for the signature, and quite often, their preference in genres. 

IMO, the X5 is intimate as if you are on stage in a small venue with the details right next to you thick with textures that you wouldn't hear at a distance. On the other hand, the dx90 is back a section where you can take in the music as a whole as if in a larger theater. The X5 is great for voice, electronic, etc that sounds great up close and the DX90 is great for orchestra, big band, live, etc where it is better to take in the performance as a whole. There are some crossover genres where the better match depends on the song such as rock or pop so these areas would be a toss up. To answer your specific questions:

1. They are both neutral, but the X5 is warmer and thicker at the bottom, although both have powerful bass.
  2. The X5 can be played lower at volumes while achieving a full sound stage, but will get brighter as it is turned up to loud volumes. So if you like it loud, the X5 will show some brightness that bothers many. As a relatively low volume listener, this is not an issue for me.
  3. The X5 is the one for thick texturing given the right headphone pairing. Its my best match for my NT6pro for that reason. The DX90 presents its details differently with incredible layering for a bigger 3D sound stage.
  4. Different sound stages as describe above - X5 = intimate, DX90 = larger, live venue. However, the x5 with its thicker texturing feels more dynamic to me. Others would argue the converse.
  5. Both are capable of great detail, but presented differently, textures verse layering. This is more of a function of the HP though and its capabilities as you will see both scale nicely as you scale up your HP.
  6. Bass is powerful with both, but thicker more meaty texture on the X5 vs. more impact, faster on the DX90. For electronic, I always reach for my X5.

Given that you have a Amperior, that will be the signature that will shine through which I believe would be a v-sig so the x5 would help bring the mids closer if I am correct. Based on what you are saying, the X5 would probably be the better option in my opinion. But you would be very happy with either if you are upgrading from a phone/iDevice looking for another all in one.

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #131 of 446
The highs and extra warmth of the X5 just didn't agree with me but these things are always personal. Just as a side note. The rockbox option on the dx90 is a more upfront and intimate sound if that's what's wanted but it isn't warmer. You also get all the rockbox goodies but lose HiDef. Fortunately for those that like rockbox, you can boot back to the standard FW if HDef or somewhat different sig is required. Obviously wont matter to those that just prefer a X5.
smile.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #132 of 446
  So it looks like there is finally an update for DX 90 to enable it as a stand alone dac which is a good news!
If so that will change my view to it.

I purchased both X5 and DX90 first time they came out and after two weeks I decided to choose X5 and returned the other.
I wrote an early impression in this thread long time ago and at the time I was leaning towards X5 for it's broader features and versatility.
At that time, the very first firmware, DX 90 was a a little buggy, freezed often, max capacity at 64 GB and no usb Dac.
I never had problem with X5 and it didn't take long to burn.
So..my choice was clear!

I honestly think both are very excellent player. With the update firmware on DX90 i wouldn't mind to try it again.

Nice, you have both. I have X5 and AP100, but DX90 seems very good too when I tried. The low end and amplification is better on the X5 while DX90 has a smooth top.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #133 of 446
I used to have AP100 as well but was not crazy about it. DX90 is really nice complement to X5 if you want a slightly different presentations. At the time I had DX90 I only had E12 as my only outboard amp and it wasn't a good pairing. E12 is a powerful little amp but has no character to me. Now I have much better amps that will pair really nicely with Dx90. I think I might re-purchase the unit.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #134 of 446
I used to have AP100 as well but was not crazy about it. DX90 is really nice complement to X5 if you want a slightly different presentations. At the time I had DX90 I only had E12 as my only outboard amp and it wasn't a good pairing. E12 is a powerful little amp but has no character to me. Now I have much better amps that will pair really nicely with Dx90. I think I might re-purchase the unit.

What other portable amps do you prefer/own?

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #135 of 446
What other portable amps do you prefer/own?

I am in love with my two best portable amps ALO Continental V2 and RSA Intruder they both serve for different flavor with X5 and LCD 2.2.
I see that you got Pan Amp..how is it with LCD 2 ? Mike from Headfonia loves that pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back