Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Feb 24, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #347 of 446
I was able to demo both, but only for a brief period since there were many people at the shop, the dx90 seems non-fatiguing to me and smoother compared to the x5, i was using a tf10 with it. The x5 had the better bass impact to my ears... Ended up undecided for now... I prefer the bass on the x5 but the dx90 surprised me as i thought it wouldnt have synergy with the tf10 and that the tf10 will be better paired with the x5 based on what i've been reading...

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #348 of 446
I was able to demo both, but only for a brief period since there were many people at the shop, the dx90 seems non-fatiguing to me and smoother compared to the x5, i was using a tf10 with it. The x5 had the better bass impact to my ears... Ended up undecided for now... I prefer the bass on the x5 but the dx90 surprised me as i thought it wouldnt have synergy with the tf10 and that the tf10 will be better paired with the x5 based on what i've been reading...

Actually both DX90 and X5 have quite different sound signatures.

Both are quite smooth with very good extensions on both ends. I agree with you that X5 seem to have better bass impact but it's more headed towards mid bass. DX90 actually have better sub bass presence depending on your earphones.

X5 offers a wider soundstage with a more laid back presentation. It's less aggressive than DX90. DX90 seemed to have better clarity and details retrieval.

Both units are superb! Will not go wrong with either DAP. Battery wise X5 wins by a margin.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #349 of 446

Whichever work best on your headphones that is where I would go. Impressions for or against each DAP is irrelevant to you because a) they may be using a different headphone. b) They listen to different music genre than you. c) They have a different point of reference as to what sound good (personal preference).

Differences in battery or storage can be fixed later should you find it inadequate for whichever DAP you choose. But the sound you hear won't be as easy to fix. 

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #353 of 446
I recently buy ie 800 and it's great.
im looking for nice dap for it which one is better?
X5 or dx 90?????
i need for more detail,flat sound and nice soundstage....

X5 sound slightly darker and Dx90 has a slightly wider sound stage.

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #354 of 446
I recently buy ie 800 and it's great.
im looking for nice dap for it which one is better?
X5 or dx 90?????
i need for more detail,flat sound and nice soundstage....

I have all three. X5 slightly more forward, DX90 open. Would not say one or the other better. Both very good with ie800.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #355 of 446
Hi,i didn't hear any of ibasso or fiio.
But looking for buying one of them.
Does anybody compare them with something like (apple touch+beyer a200p) or sony smartphone plus beyer a200p.or smartphone+fiio e17 or 18 ?
Or with an external sound card like focusrite scarlett solo.
I have scarlett solo plus beyer dt770 pro 80 ohms.and dont know how much difference they have.
Excuse me for my bad writing,l'm not native.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #356 of 446
i've had a dx90 for almost a year. [note my head-fi join date]

re battery life.  the dx90 uses galaxy s3 compatible batteries, widely available and inexpensive.  when i'm travelling i have SEVERAL fully charged batteries, and it takes about a minute to change a battery.  also re the 1 microsd slot, i have a DiMeCard micro 8, about the thickness of a credit card, which holds 8 microsd cards [if you get one, get a light colored one if possible, to be able to see the microsd cards more easily].  change a microsd card in under a minute.

so the exchangeable battery is effectively unlimited, and for me, at least, the 1 microsd slot is not a big deal.

btw, i never charge batteries in the device.  i bought an external charger, so the dx90 always has a charged battery in it, fully charged backup batteries, and i can charge spent batteries at my convenience.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #357 of 446
I just saw this thread a couple of days ago.  I recently got a dx90 to compare with my x5.  The x5 is pretty good overall and I was hoping the dx90 might be a little better - as far as my listening preferences go.  I posted my review in the "DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page:" thread, pg781.  Both the players are great values at their current price point.  For me, they differ slightly in their respective sound profiles.  I prefer the x5 - it seems a little smoother overall.  The dx90 touchscreen drives me nuts and the single sd card slot were a couple of negatives I could have lived with if the sound was significantly better than the x5.

But it wasn't to be.  Of course, the differences between the two are small and highly subjective - nobody really hears exactly what someone else does, even with the same headphones.  I don't think anybody could go wrong with either one of the players.  I'm still searching though for something that hits me as "perfectly right" without costing an arm and a leg.

Apr 6, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #358 of 446
  I just saw this thread a couple of days ago.  I recently got a dx90 to compare with my x5.  The x5 is pretty good overall and I was hoping the dx90 might be a little better - as far as my listening preferences go.  I posted my review in the "DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page:" thread, pg781.  Both the players are great values at their current price point.  For me, they differ slightly in their respective sound profiles.  I prefer the x5 - it seems a little smoother overall.  The dx90 touchscreen drives me nuts and the single sd card slot were a couple of negatives I could have lived with if the sound was significantly better than the x5.

But it wasn't to be.  Of course, the differences between the two are small and highly subjective - nobody really hears exactly what someone else does, even with the same headphones.  I don't think anybody could go wrong with either one of the players.  I'm still searching though for something that hits me as "perfectly right" without costing an arm and a leg.

X5 2nd generation will be out this summer. If the improvement from 1st to 2nd gen's on the X3 is anything to go by, the new X5 will be amazing, potentially rivalling many TOTL DAPs.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #359 of 446

Read your review, quite interesting to read. Touchscreen is not my preference for a DAP either, though I'm not sure about the X5 GUI either (after trying the v3.x X3 firmware).

I have an X3 now, but the sound signature is too dark for me, so I'm looking for a different DAP with a more neutral sound signature. I'm also not sure whether it's the sound signature, but the X3 also sounds kind of muddy or perhaps distorted when I put the line out to my speaker amplifier to listen to it through my speakers. At least it sounds significantly darker and less clear as compared to just playing the music from my computer through the NAD DAC.

So I was looking to the X5 or DX90 (or something else in that price class), but after reading up on it here on head-fi and some other reviews, I'm still undecided.

X5 should be smoother and perhaps a touch warmer, DX90 should be slightly brighter / neutral. Or not, depending on who you ask.
X5 is solid, but the wheel a bit less so, DX90 doesn't have the wheel, the apparently some buttons can fail after a while.
X5 stock firmware should be more stable than the DX90, but GUI doesn't seem so useful to me (large icons lead to low information density) and DX90 can be loaded with rockbox.
X5 has clean line out, DX90 has volume control on line out (which could be problematic when switching between with amp and without amp).
X5 has a more intimate soundstage, DX90 more open (I have no idea how the difference would sound and whether or not I would care).

Anything I missed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back