Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
Feb 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #331 of 446
Thanks Andrew

can you do touch screen functions or just hit shuffle play or start up an album or artists folders from the glove box and have fun

also looking at the X7 (but why slave it with stuff other than DAP) and Cayin - has it all now

thanks

Tom

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #332 of 446
You may want to check in to the FiiO X3 as well, I use the X3 in my truck line out and it sounds really good all on its own.
I have the X5 and the DX90 as well and prefer the X3 for my truck for the warmer sound. It is easy to switch songs with out looking at the player.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #333 of 446
Thanks Andrew

can you do touch screen functions or just hit shuffle play or start up an album or artists folders from the glove box and have fun

also looking at the X7 (but why slave it with stuff other than DAP) and Cayin - has it all now

thanks

Tom

No touch screen on X5. Wheel or cross buttons.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #335 of 446
not touch screen on the player itself
UI that would allow you to use a car head unit touch screen to run the unit thru a USB connection

does anyone do that outside of Ipod?

Car head unit would need to be programmed to accept DAPs UI protocol. I doubt any head unit would cater for relatively minute sales of any dedicated DAP.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #336 of 446
not touch screen on the player itself
UI that would allow you to use a car head unit touch screen to run the unit thru a USB connection

does anyone do that outside of Ipod?

Not FiiO.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #337 of 446
anyone review im03 with the above?

went audition just now, I like the wider sound stage on DX90 but I also like the darker sound produce by x5.

Is the $70 extra worth for having a touch screen plus removable battery function?

For those who own both, do you find that x5 sound better at low volume where else Dx90 sound better at higher volume?

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #338 of 446
anyone review im03 with the above?

went audition just now, I like the wider sound stage on DX90 but I also like the darker sound produce by x5.

Is the $70 extra worth for having a touch screen plus removable battery function?

For those who own both, do you find that x5 sound better at low volume where else Dx90 sound better at higher volume?

They both have there Pro's and Con's. What headphone would you be using exclusively the im03?

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #339 of 446
They both have there Pro's and Con's. What headphone would you be using exclusively the im03?

No planning to use any headphone.

Just want to find a matching DAP to drive my ATH-IM03.

Narrowed down to these two DAP at the moment.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #340 of 446
No planning to use any headphone.

Just want to find a matching DAP to drive my ATH-IM03.

Narrowed down to these two DAP at the moment.

I think you would be happy with either one. Having the Dual slots on the X5 is nice and it I easy to operate with the screen off or on same with DX90. The DX90 goes through a battery somewhat fast which is why I have 2 spares. Both could be eq'ed to ur liking.

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #341 of 446
FYI, DX90 is on Massdrop. $339 if 6 buyers go in on it. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ibasso-dx90-digital-audio-player

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #342 of 446
Guys if i'm eyeing a player that will be used for a long time, which is a better buy in terms of durability, the x5 or dx90? The click wheel on the x5 and the non-user replaceable battery has me worried, but i like the flap covers on the microsd slots of the x5. Does the dx90 buttons hold up pretty well? Its same as dx50 if I'm not mistaken? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

And another thing, is the dx90 more customizable on software bec of rockbox? Thanks

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #343 of 446
Guys if i'm eyeing a player that will be used for a long time, which is a better buy in terms of durability, the x5 or dx90? The click wheel on the x5 and the non-user replaceable battery has me worried, but i like the flap covers on the microsd slots of the x5. Does the dx90 buttons hold up pretty well? Its same as dx50 if I'm not mistaken? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

And another thing, is the dx90 more customizable on software bec of rockbox? Thanks

build-wise X5 look and feels sturdier than DX90. But as you mentioned, the replaceable battery and customizable firmware may work in favor of DX90.

Having said that, X5's software/firmware is more stable, useable, offers more features and overall superior than iBasso's stock software, that using rockbox on it feels unnecessary. X5's look and feel can be modded which is as far as you can go about customization with X5 (with a solid support from Fiio). 

The physical buttons/wheel on X5 takes a bit of getting used to. But it's not necessarily better nor worse than iBasso's touchscreen/button interface. DX90's button like DX50 could be a hit or miss. Mine is holding up so far but some already reported problems with their buttons. X5 had a few reports as well. 

So at the end of the day, pick whatever works best for you. X5's battery life is longer than iBasso's stock battery. But you have an option to get a beefier battery to extend DX90's battery life. Unless you are going to stick with the same device for more than 2 years, battery won't be an issue. 

One last thing, pick the one that works best with your headphones/iems. That will make other points moot. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #344 of 446
^thanks for the input sir, really appreciate it and put things in perspective. Like the one about fiio's firmware being more stable, i was under the impression that the dx series was the better ui bec of rockbox. Will head over to the local shop now and hopefully they have demo units of both :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back