FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,336 of 1,895
Another thing that bugs me is that when using the X5 as a USB soundcard, you constantly have to activate the volume to change volume fairly quickly.

e.g. I'm listening to some smooth jazz and some tracks are quieter than others. I'm constantly having to press the X5's volume buttons/press and hold the center button and using the wheel to adjust the volume accordingly. It would be much more convenient to have the volume icon pop up the whole time so that you can just use the wheel to adjust music.

And while we're on the topic of the USB soundcard mode, you should be able to turn off the screen. There's no reason for the screen to be on 24/7 if it's connected to your computer. My E7 DAC/amp had the screen burned in because it was always connected to my computer and the screen never turns off; I didn't even know that was possible with an OLED screen.

Two words Bug Report :wink:

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,337 of 1,895
Well, you also have the volume keys. I don't see how this is a bug compared to any other DAP.

Anyway I use an external amp when in USB mode. I'm very pleased with the functionality.

People are talking as if the X5 is especially buggy. For a first firmware, I disagree. It's remarkably unbuggy. The database is still immature. That's a fact. Otherwise - since I browse by folder - if I never upgraded from 1.0, I would be fine.

(1.1 with it's lock screen warnings is a disaster - a strange example of a firmware downgrade.)

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,339 of 1,895
My x5 is working well. The latest firmware update for me is better than the previous. Im pairing my x5 with my sennheiser momentum. And theyre working great. I love it because its neutral both of them . Makes the sound cleaner and crisp. I also tried my x5 with hd800 but better to pair it with an amp. Tried the hifiman ef5 tube amp. And sounds great also.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,340 of 1,895
What with the resets and firmware updates miceblue and bcarr have put their units through I'm not placing my bets on this one, but I've been asked to remind previewers that there is an equalizer on the X5 and to set it to "Normal" if intending to compare to other players without EQ.

Oh, trust me, I've checked and rechecked the EQ. Yes, it's "Normal." :)

I'm inclined to that agree with miceblue that there may be a problem with the X5's amp section. Even on high gain I've had to turn up the volume to hear quieter passages comfortably; I must often set it to 94 or higher. It's not an adjustment I'm accustomed to with my stereo equipment, and I don't recall needing to do so with my Clip+, either. Keep in mind that my headphones, the Shure SRH840, are only 44 ohms.

Quote:
  Perhaps it's due to the fact that the X5 is delivering something different. Not worse. It comes down to what your reference is.  I find i devices to be flat and lifeless, boring as all get out whilst others swear by them. Like i said... reference point.. 

I suspect the average iDevice user [read: non-headfier!] has little concept of good fidelity. Low bit-rate MP3s seem fine; what could possibly be missing? Yet I'd wager some Apple devotees would be astonished to hear their music reproduced on a truly high-quality system. (I am not necessarily suggesting they'd switch--convenience usually trumps excellence.)

I admire Fiio's ethos. James and his team strike me as a rare breed, and I've wanted to support them. I was optimistic that they had learned from any mistakes, and I was looking forward to hearing such an apparently high-end DAC as the PCM1792. My expectation was that the X5 would be a quality device, one that would output my tracks accurately, naturally, and engagingly. Based on early Head-Fi feedback, I took it for granted that the X5's audio would approach the quality of sound produced by my essentially entry-level audiophile component rig. (Heck, I thought the X5 might be better, since I've learned one can often hear more musical detail through headphones than loudspeakers.)

Instead, the X5's sound tends to remind me of an old, worn audio cassette tape.
blink.gif
  Not totally, to be sure, but it's my overall impression of many of the X5's sonic characteristics.

I dearly hope my unit is defective. . . .
frown.gif

Quote:
  This may sound odd to you but try compression level 'O'  on flac encoding. 

I've loaded several of the same tracks as uncompressed .wav files, but the problems persist. Still, I appreciate your suggestion, and I'll try it if I get the chance.

Quote:
. . . I only used 16/644.1 FLAC to achieve all these because our music library are 99% Red Book CD rips only, so if the different only make sense in 24/96, it is not relevant to our practical usage.

I'm with you: "high-res" isn't relevant to me, either.

Best regards,
Brian

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,341 of 1,895
Brian
If you are having to run the X5 at 94 with your Srh840 - then the unit is defective. You have the same unit as MiceBlue don't you?

The unit I had was driving the 250 ohm Beyer DT 880s really well at between one-third-to-half of the setting you have.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,342 of 1,895
Hey Brian,

Sounds like a bad connection between your headphones and the x5 to me. Do you notice problems with the stereo image (like voices that should be in the centre sounding really tinny and distant or instruments not panning left and right as they're supposed to)?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,344 of 1,895
I remember mikes unit running once with the audeze lcd2 when I asked the visitors what they tried it with , I think there is something wrong with the amp unit if 840 have to be at 94 or so

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #1,345 of 1,895
Using the K 701, I have the X5 as a USB soundcard at volume 70 for a pretty quite and dynamic DR16 file.

As a portable media player, I have the X5 set at volume 80, so it doesn't seem too unusual if the volume is set to 94 with quiet music.

Except that the SRH840 is incredibly easy to drive compared to the K701 (I've owned both).

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #1,346 of 1,895
Using the K 701, I have the X5 as a USB soundcard at volume 70 for a pretty quite and dynamic DR16 file.

As a portable media player, I have the X5 set at volume 80, so it doesn't seem too unusual if the volume is set to 94 with quiet music.

Except that the SRH840 is incredibly easy to drive compared to the K701 (I've owned both).

Yeah that's true. Hm, that is strange then. I just saw that high gain was also being used, whereas mine was at low gain.

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #1,347 of 1,895
The X5 has arrived here. First impressions are that I can see why some people feel that it is "warm". Compared to the sound from my iPad Mini Retina with FitEar Parterres, it is more effortless and smoother.

I haven't read all the other impressions or suggestions about the UI, but one of my first is that I wish that the scroll wheel automatically defaults to changing the volume when music is playing as it would on an iPod. Also, if I go to the main menu while I'm playing (after I've chosen a song through the folder hierarchy), settings or something else then back to "Now playing" the Back button takes me to the main menu when I wish it would take my back up through the folders.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #1,348 of 1,895
Brian
If you are having to run the X5 at 94 with your Srh840 - then the unit is defective. You have the same unit as MiceBlue don't you?

The unit I had was driving the 250 ohm Beyer DT 880s really well at between one-third-to-half of the setting you have.

On better recordings that have higher dynamic range ie MFSL and DCC I need the volume at 85 with DT1350s

With poorly mastered modern pop/rock its on 65-75

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #1,350 of 1,895
Yeah that's why I didn't put it in the Bugzilla, it's not a bug, but rather a suggestion. XD

I agree that the GUI is pretty much bug-free.

Understood, Bugzilla is not only about bugs, it has options for enhancements/suggestions. Your observations are very relevant but your participation with bugzilla would make a world of difference for future owners if they are implemented. You don't have to but will be greatly appreciated. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back