FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,351 of 1,895
Understood, Bugzilla is not only about bugs, it has options for enhancements/suggestions. Your observations are very relevant but your participation with bugzilla would make a world of difference for future owners if they are implemented. You don't have to but will be greatly appreciated. :)

In that case, if I were to fill in the X5 bugzilla, regarding X5 will auto-power-off suddenly but infrequently, and the issue cannot be repeated, which category will it belong to? bug? enhancement? suggestion>

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,352 of 1,895
In that case, if I were to fill in the X5 bugzilla, regarding X5 will auto-power-off suddenly but infrequently, and the issue cannot be repeated, which category will it belong to? bug? enhancement? suggestion>

Couple of points:

(1) you got to make sure it is a bug and not part of the intended functionality, if the auto shutoff as described in the user manual does not behave according to the document, you may have a bug.

(2) You have to be able to repeat it so that entails:

Providing the exact sequence of operations leading to the bug.

In conclusion, for the software engineer to be able to fix it, he/she has to be able to repeat it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #1,353 of 1,895
Couple of points:

(1) you got to make sure it is a bug and not part of the intended functionality, if the auto shutoff as described in the user manual does not behave according to the document, you may have a bug.

(2) You have to be able to repeat it so that entails:

Providing the exact sequence of operations leading to the bug.

In conclusion, for the software engineer to be able to fix it, he/she has to be able to repeat it.

Yes, thats why I can't find the right category to work with.

On the other hand, reliability is an important issue, maybe above all bug, but sadly that is not been covered.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,354 of 1,895
Yes, thats why I can't find the right category to work with.

On the other hand, reliability is an important issue, maybe above all bug, but sadly that is not been covered.

I got you, if you have an issue with reliability, measurements is what they'll use for gauging the importance and effort needed to put their resources on it (They don't have unlimited resource). Any piece of electronics including of a mechanical nature will have measures like mean time between failures measurements but unfortunately, a relatively complex device as a dap will be the sum of their weakest links and unless they have appropriate labs to simulate accelerated usage, the dap owner is going to be the ultimate tester. Tracking bugs/enhancements as given is not perfect but how many vendors provide you with the ability to?

So the best advice is to log it in the system and use the closest category you can find, it's better to have it there than not. Joe will look at it and if it's considered crucial to their endeavors, they'll put the man power on it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #1,355 of 1,895
I got you, if you have an issue with reliability, measurements is what they'll use for gauging the importance and effort needed to put their resources on it (They don't have unlimited resource). Any piece of electronics including of a mechanical nature will have measures like mean time between failures measurements but unfortunately, a relatively complex device as a dap will be the sum of their weakest links and unless they have appropriate labs to simulate accelerated usage, the dap owner is going to be the ultimate tester. Tracking bugs/enhancements as given is not perfect but how many vendors provide you with the ability to?

So the best advice is to log it in the system and use the closest category you can find, it's better to have it there than not. Joe will look at it and if it's considered crucial to their endeavors, they'll put the man power on it.

Suppose that is the best we can look for .... !

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,356 of 1,895
Yeah that's why I didn't put it in the Bugzilla, it's not a bug, but rather a suggestion. XD

I agree that the GUI is pretty much bug-free.

Understood, Bugzilla is not only about bugs, it has options for enhancements/suggestions. Your observations are very relevant but your participation with bugzilla would make a world of difference for future owners if they are implemented. You don't have to but will be greatly appreciated. :)

Ah mmk. I'll add a few things when I get the chance then.

I informed Joe Bloggs yesterday, but when the X5 is set to a storage device (accessing the microSD cards), sometimes the device will randomly eject from my computer and Mac OS gives me the "you have improperly disconnected a device from your computer" kind of message. This has happened in both firmware 1.0 and 1.10, but I'll try doing this on a different USB port since it may very well just be a bad port (even though this is a 2013 computer).

And after leaving the X5 plugged into my computer as a USB soundcard/charging for about 24 hours, upon disconnecting it, the USB soundcard screen stayed on until I powered it off.

After being fully charged for the first time since I received the unit, I'm doing a battery test on it. I did some of it last night when I went to bed, but here's what I'm doing:
X5 at high gain, volume 96, playing a DR21 24/96 Chesky Records song in FLAC format with repeat on, powering an AKG K 701, and wrapped in a towel to emulate being in a pocket. This would hopefully represent a worst-case scenario for the battery life....unless current draw is more taxing on a battery like with in-ear earphones although those types of drivers are really efficient and don't require much volume.

So far, after ~7 hours of use like that, the battery is still going strong. I'll continue the test when I get back home.

"Phrases" is the track I'm using in this test:
http://www.hdtracks.com/dr-chesky-s-sensational-fantastic-and-simply-amazing-binaural-sound-show

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,357 of 1,895
Whiskybolt please pm your postal address, I updated the firmware with no problem, in fact it was really easy, especially compared to other DAPs.

This definitely matches beautifully with DT1350

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,358 of 1,895
I was listening to the X5 and Mad Dogs last night - though the X5 doesn't have the power of my E17, it sounds noticeably cleaner/more detailed. I had to turn it up to nearly max volume, but I like it much more. I think it gave me a little taste of what the Mad Dogs will sound like with a neutral-ish amp - it immediately put a smile on my wife's face, too.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #1,360 of 1,895
 Quote:
If you are having to run the X5 at 94 with your Srh840 - then the unit is defective. You have the same unit as MiceBlue don't you?

No, miceblue and I are using two different units.

Sounds like a bad connection between your headphones and the x5 to me.

It's certainly possible, but I don't think so. My headphone connection appears solid and consistent, and I don't seem to be experiencing any obvious symptoms of such problems.

Thanks,
Brian

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,362 of 1,895
Aaaand that concludes my battery test.

~10.5 hours of battery life for this particular test (details in post 1356).

Your mileage may vary depending on how often you turn on the screen, how bright it is, how often you turn it on/off, and how loud you listen to your music. The unit never got uncomfortably hot, but it did get warm after the two testing sessions; it's like a smartphone when you use it on max brightness for half an hour straight with 4G or something along those lines.

Yes, it's 2:30 AM here, and now I need to charge up the X5 for the next participant in the tour. XD

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,363 of 1,895
Because she got rid of you for a couple of hours
wink.gif

Mind that mouth.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,364 of 1,895
Whoa whoa whoa hold your horses fellas
eek.gif

The "confirmed" status means that the bug has been confirmed to be a real issue. In the current bugzilla setup this happens automatically if a bug receives 9 votes (each user can put at most 3 votes on a single bug out of a total of 25 votes on all bugs combined)

The status you guys want to look for is "in progress" which means we are working on fixing the bug. I will consult our engineer ASAP and update the status to "in progress" for those bugs we are working on, and update the status to "resolved" when a fix is available
redface.gif

To be honest, Joe, I am a little disappointed in the lack of progress in declaring items to be In Progress. If after the next firmware release we still cannot upgrade the X5  without burning out the battery on button pushes in a pocket, I am going to be really unhappy. Reversing a mistake to the previous firmware isn't an issue, right?  
confused.gif

I also think that I have been forthright enough about the good aspects of the X5 to deserve a bit of cred on this issue - which is now the top vote-getting bug on your list. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,365 of 1,895
Had x5 for 3 days now, battery life seems superb
Not Studio levels but better than 801 or 601

I keep mine in a bag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back