Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
May 21, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #2,266 of 2,614
I'll have the X5 II in a couple weeks to test.

To be honest I'm putting in 16 hour days with work and have no time right now to mod.

Sorry HBB, I want to get moving on the double hitter tag team theme but it may have to be on the X5 II (if we get one). First thing I want to look at is the possibility of using different themes on the same device. The stock FW comes with 5 themes but I don't know what items are shared or not. Should be interesting along with taking notes on sound impressions.

May 21, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #2,267 of 2,614
I'll have the X5 II in a couple weeks to test.

To be honest I'm putting in 16 hour days with work and have no time right now to mod.

Sorry HBB, I want to get moving on the double hitter tag team theme but it may have to be on the X5 II (if we get one). First thing I want to look at is the possibility of using different themes on the same device. The stock FW comes with 5 themes but I don't know what items are shared or not. Should be interesting along with taking notes on sound impressions.

I spent waaay too much time making themes a couple months ago so I'm in no rush. Would love to know the fw structure is and will look forward to your review
beerchug.gif

May 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2,268 of 2,614
easy way to know if the themes/firmware are compatible: try to flash the X5 firmware to the X5ii
if this does not work, unpack it, edit the "pack.bat" to give it another header (i would say X52 or X5ii?) pack, and try flashing again.

so "packtools --pack -i x5 -o x5.fw -m x5" would become "packtools --pack -i x5 -o x5.fw -m x5ii" or something like this.

May 21, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #2,269 of 2,614
  easy way to know if the themes/firmware are compatible: try to flash the X5 firmware to the X5ii
if this does not work, unpack it, edit the "pack.bat" to give it another header (i would say X52 or X5ii?) pack, and try flashing again.

so "packtools --pack -i x5 -o x5.fw -m x5" would become "packtools --pack -i x5 -o x5.fw -m x5ii" or something like this.

The firmwares are not compatible by start, launchers in x5II have only 5 items.

Still, it would be interesting to know what can be changed in the firmwares, and if we can edit all 5 of the themes.

May 21, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #2,270 of 2,614

The firmwares are not compatible by start, launchers in x5II have only 5 items.

Still, it would be interesting to know what can be changed in the firmwares, and if we can edit all 5 of the themes.

through the same way i mentioned just now i once flashed the X3 firmware to my X5. due to screen differences it didn't work correctly, but it still flashed the system.
flashing the firmware flashes more than just a UI, right?

May 21, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,271 of 2,614

through the same way i mentioned just now i once flashed the X3 firmware to my X5. due to screen differences it didn't work correctly, but it still flashed the system.

Exactly this is why i would avoid flashing a different DAP's firmware. The system files are different because there are different hardwares. Flashing a different firmware could result in a bricked device, or even worse. 

May 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #2,272 of 2,614
That would be cool. You predicting the fw will be universal X1,X3v2 X5v2? I'm assuming it will be for practical purposes for FiiO

Universal for major product features. The only differences I can think of are 2xTF slots and (possibly) screen size. I'm personally not sure how to mod the FW Tools to be able to unpack/pack the new X5's FW, though. I also don't want to start flashing FW mods to the tour unit just in case, but maybe we could at least give the mod community a jump start :wink_face:

May 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #2,273 of 2,614

Exactly this is why i would avoid flashing a different DAP's firmware. The system files are different because there are different hardwares. Flashing a different firmware could result in a bricked device, or even worse. 

I believe there's a "boot" layer, and on top of that the firmware layer which we flash. It didn't cause any trouble, and the flash screen was exactly the same when i flashed while on the X3 firmware on my X5.

May 21, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,274 of 2,614
I believe there's a "boot" layer, and on top of that the firmware layer which we flash. It didn't cause any trouble, and the flash screen was exactly the same when i flashed while on the X3 firmware on my X5.

Interesting finding. I would be way too afraid to try to flash a different firmware on my X5, the least thing i would want is pushing it.

Actually, when building my UIs i flashed them the least number of times possible. Like this i was able to always see many improvements.

May 22, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2,275 of 2,614

Interesting finding. I would be way too afraid to try to flash a different firmware on my X5, the least thing i would want is pushing it.

Actually, when building my UIs i flashed them the least number of times possible. Like this i was able to always see many improvements.

I try to flash as little as possible, as memory wears out (although that should take a long time)
I used to jailbreak my ipod touch, iphones, and ipad. Same with my Wii. Flashed 3rd party firmware to most of my previous routers, rooted my android phone, etcetera.
Never had a device lock up completely beyond repair.

I'll definitely try flashing X5ii firmware to my X5 when a firmware version has been released.

May 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,276 of 2,614
Yeah, I wouldn't get too concerned with flashing from the memory POV - modern chips can handle many, many read-write cycles - look at SSD's now. And imagine how many flashes HBB and others have done :)

You are braver flashing a completely different firmware, i.e. for different hardware. There is some risk of bricking it that way. With luck it won't happen, but it's a possibility for sure. Hopefully the boot loaders are compatible...

If not - science leaves a littered trail of corpses on the road to progress 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 26, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #2,278 of 2,614
  Oh dear, this thread's dying...

But you can 'GET WOOD' here... You might like this one DDDamian

http://bit.ly/1SAafX1

I do! I do! Awesome - a match for my new LCD2.2's! Thanks @theUKMrT - will flash shortly!

Nothing like a pimped X5 :) Will be getting a tour unit of the X5ii in a couple of weeks now - guess that's where all the buzz is. But you guys here have pushed the X5 to new levels, and I hope Fiio gives you even more tools to play with in the next-gen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back