Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Jan 31, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,126 of 2,614
  in a text editor in Ubuntu Linux tried?.

A .bin file is a compiled binary file - pure machine code. You would need a disassembler program to read it in assembly code. No easy task to follow along as it will not be the same as the original (likely C++) source code complete with readable addresses, functions and variables.

Not impossible but sure not as easy as having commented source code in a higher-level language.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,128 of 2,614

Much more setting detail ability for folks who use the EQ a lot
Xbass/  Rock/  Open (cans) / Closed (cans) / EQ1,2,3,4,5,6
[rule]

Only screen not matching was the System settings (Now X5 settings)  with the color tactile buttons. Looked great but simply didn't match a theme full of vinyl and the new one is my XBMC and MusicBee BG and it is nice with rotary knobs and a set of headphones. Better match.
[rule]

Original toggle switches were cartoonish in a theme trying not to be such so found a set of aluminum old style ones and it looks better
[rule]

Favorites changed to "My Favorites"  and settings titles changed to  "Playback Settings" and "X5 Settings" 

[rule]
Awesome stuff. Safe to assume downloadable from the original link? Not next to a PC at the moment so can't confirm myself.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,129 of 2,614

Much more setting detail ability for folks who use the EQ a lot
Xbass/  Rock/  Open (cans) / Closed (cans) / EQ1,2,3,4,5,6
[rule]

Only screen not matching was the System settings (Now X5 settings)  with the color tactile buttons. Looked great but simply didn't match a theme full of vinyl and the new one is my XBMC and MusicBee BG and it is nice with rotary knobs and a set of headphones. Better match.
[rule]

Original toggle switches were cartoonish in a theme trying not to be such so found a set of aluminum old style ones and it looks better
[rule]

Favorites changed to "My Favorites"  and settings titles changed to  "Playback Settings" and "X5 Settings" 

[rule]

Very nice Hawaiibadboy! You've definately refined your theme to another level. I just LOVE your EQ!

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #1,130 of 2,614

Very nice @Hawaiibadboy! You've definately refined your theme to another level. I just LOVE your EQ!

Agree!  Amazing work Hawaiibadboy!  Lots of time and enegy involved I'm sure but very appreciated.  Especially by those like me with more limited skills.  Definitely adds to the enjoyment of my X5 and gets lots of attention from friends who want to know where did I get such a cool music player.

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,131 of 2,614

Very nice @Hawaiibadboy! You've definately refined your theme to another level. I just LOVE your EQ!

Thanks.
It's the cold season in Japan so before the BBQ's and Bungee jumps and jet skiing I got nada to do
frown.gif

I play with the eq a lot and it has 10...12 dB ish of movement but within that i discovered the extra wheel rolls do in fact register 1/2 or even 1/4 increments. I was tweaking some Steely Dan tracks last night minutely
biggrin.gif

Awesome stuff. Safe to assume downloadable from the original link? Not next to a PC at the moment so can't confirm myself.

Yup dropbox link on archive page should reflect update.

Agree!  Amazing work Hawaiibadboy!  Lots of time and enegy involved I'm sure but very appreciated.  Especially by those like me with more limited skills.  Definitely adds to the enjoyment of my X5 and gets lots of attention from friends who want to know where did I get such a cool music player.

Thank you bro.  Positive feedback is the 2nd reason I do this. #1 being I wanted a cool looking player too
biggrin.gif

This thread lets us share with the world which is pretty awesome. Glad you enjoy.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,132 of 2,614
actually, someone has opened the sys.bin file previously.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=43525.0

the file that you get then, that's where the real challenge is.

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,134 of 2,614
With firmware on top of understanding the code, you need hardware knowledge as well. It's not enough to reverse engineer the firmware. You could easily screw up the compiled code if you ever type the wrong instructions or access the wrong address/ports of different control chips even with the code alone you'd still struggle.

The reason why the modification of this firmware is relatively safe is due to the proper segregation of the UI interface from the basic player playback functionality, all major UI features are either accessible through file access and/or configuration files that are laid out according to what the coded firmware expects and finally baked into the final firmware file through the resource assembler. You are actually not changing the basic player functionality which is compiled into the binary file but are accessing the UI resources. It's a technique that's being used for decades in computer programming.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,135 of 2,614
Here is a tease of the 'Analog' theme I hinted at earlier. It's basically based off the same idea as McFiiOtosh so if you like that then this one will be quite familiar. Some tweaking is stil required like the top bar, startup and shutdown animations, and the EQ screen (I don't think anything will beat the 'Hi Fi' EQ :wink:).

I should be able to finish it in a couple days. :D

P.S. I'll be able to tweak the McFiiOtosh alternate as well.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,136 of 2,614
Here is a tease of the 'Analog' theme I hinted at earlier. It's basically based off the same idea as McFiiOtosh so if you like that then this one will be quite familiar. Some tweaking is stil required like the top bar, startup and shutdown animations, and the EQ screen (I don't think anything will beat the 'Hi Fi' EQ
wink.gif
).

I should be able to finish it in a couple days.
biggrin.gif

P.S. I'll be able to tweak the McFiiOtosh alternate as well.

The quality of that meter is amazing!!

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,139 of 2,614
  Hey guys, just a quick check-in to tell you that I updated the link in the first post to the latest changelog for @Hawaiibadboy "Hi-Fi".

Thanks!
I just updated that theme and changelog post

She is called "Hi-Fi"
 My 1st... last.... and only theme.
I will update her for future firmware upgrades and re color stuff at that time but it's done

Thanks for keeping stuff up.

As of today that theme is now complete. Now more photo bombing by me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back