FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android based,Mastering Quality Lossless Playback Hi-Res Music Player
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #511 of 677
Thanks for the comments to the balanced IEM ...

After reading a lot here, I think, the choice of the right IEM (for my musical taste) is much more influencing the 'sound quality' than the cable ... I will invest in a good IEM like an IE 800 or something similar and get happy with that for several years maybe :)  

On the other hand I have to admit, that the first impression I got from my X5 3rd gen is a bit disappointing (after 1 day).
Okay, the expectations were high, but I'm a bit estonished, that the WiFi is that slow. 

I got the device 24h ago and first charged it for 2h.
Then I started it up and it suggested a firmware update (1.1.2).
It took about 5h to complete. The download was paused several times. I have a strong WiFi, the bottleneck seems to be either on the device itself or on the FIIO download servers.
Suggestion for new users: Install the firmware update manually by copying the file to the internal storage.

If the WiFi is really that slow, I think, there will be no way to stream Hi-Res Audio from Tidal Masters or similar services.

Anyway, after inserting my 200GB SDcard with 34434 audio tracks (90% MP3, 10% FLAC), the FIIO App found 1952 files to play and got stuck. 
I installed PowerAmp from the FIIO store and PowerAmp finds all 34434 files.
What's wrong with the FIIO app? 

I did a factory reset and restarted from scratch ... same behaviour, except, this time the FIIO player app scan went through and found 7904 files ...

In the FIIOlog directory there are some log files. Does someone know, if there are some informations on the scan process of the FIIO app?

Another disappointment that has nothing to do with FIIO is the Audi MMI app, that I use on the handy as a DLNA server. 
This apps works very well on two Samsung Handies (Galaxy S6 and Note 5).
Audi does not allow to install it on devices without GPS, therefore I can't install it on X5. 
As said, that is not a FIIO issue but very disappointing from Audi ...

So, I'm going to reset again, and if the FIIO app does not find all files, I have to use PowerAmp, which is not a bad workaround at all ... 

Edit:
After the third factory reset only 7904 files were found, so, I'm going for the PowerAmp app ... 

Edit 2:
Basically, everything exept the above points work.
- Tidal: Standard streaming works, currently I do not have Tidal Masters to test streaming of Hi-Res Audio
- Spotify streaming works
- Streaming from my Squeeze Server works (Logitech Media Server with Squeeze Player and Squeeze Control Apps)
- PowerAmp works ...
- aptX Bluetooth streaming to Sennheiser PXC 550, Oehlback BTX 1000 Bluetooth Receiver and Samsung Speaker works

Only drawback: Audi does not allow to install the MMI connect app and FIIO player does not find all music files ...

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #512 of 677
  Thanks for the comments to the balanced IEM ...

After reading a lot here, I think, the choice of the right IEM (for my musical taste) is much more influencing the 'sound quality' than the cable ... I will invest in a good IEM like an IE 800 or something similar and get happy with that for several years maybe :)  

On the other hand I have to admit, that the first impression I got from my X5 3rd gen is a bit disappointing (after 1 day).
Okay, the expectations were high, but I'm a bit estonished, that the WiFi is that slow. 

I got the device 24h ago and first charged it for 2h.
Then I started it up and it suggested a firmware update (1.1.2).
It took about 5h to complete. The download was paused several times. I have a strong WiFi, the bottleneck seems to be either on the device itself or on the FIIO download servers.
Suggestion for new users: Install the firmware update manually by copying the file to the internal storage.

If the WiFi is really that slow, I think, there will be no way to stream Hi-Res Audio from Tidal Masters or similar services.

Anyway, after inserting my 200GB SDcard with 34434 audio tracks (90% MP3, 10% FLAC), the FIIO App found 1952 files to play and got stuck. 
I installed PowerAmp from the FIIO store and PowerAmp finds all 34434 files.
What's wrong with the FIIO app? 

I did a factory reset and restarted from scratch ... same behaviour, except, this time the FIIO player app scan went through and found 7904 files ...

In the FIIOlog directory there are some log files. Does someone know, if there are some informations on the scan process of the FIIO app?

Another disappointment that has nothing to do with FIIO is the Audi MMI app, that I use on the handy as a DLNA server. 
This apps works very well on two Samsung Handies (Galaxy S6 and Note 5).
Audi does not allow to install it on devices without GPS, therefore I can't install it on X5. 
As said, that is not a FIIO issue but very disappointing from Audi ...

So, I'm going to reset again, and if the FIIO app does not find all files, I have to use PowerAmp, which is not a bad workaround at all ... 

Edit:
After the third factory reset only 7904 files were found, so, I'm going for the PowerAmp app ... 

Edit 2:
Basically, everything exept the above points work.
- Tidal: Standard streaming works, currently I do not have Tidal Masters to test streaming of Hi-Res Audio
- Spotify streaming works
- Streaming from my Squeeze Server works (Logitech Media Server with Squeeze Player and Squeeze Control Apps)
- PowerAmp works ...
- aptX Bluetooth streaming to Sennheiser PXC 550, Oehlback BTX 1000 Bluetooth Receiver and Samsung Speaker works

Only drawback: Audi does not allow to install the MMI connect app and FIIO player does not find all music files ...

Dear HaPeKa,

Statements regarding the music scanning problem on X5 3rd gen: http://www.fiio.net/en/story/539.

Would you mind using the DLNA function in FiiO music to see whether it helps?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 13, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #513 of 677
Thank you FIIO for your fast response and support.

I have removed all embedded cover images and will retry this afternoon as soon as the copy process is finished.

Regarding the DLNA function: 

As I understood, X5 can be a DLNA client and stream from DLNA servers.
However, in my car, the car audio is the DLNA client that streams from the Android DLNA server, wich is provided by the Audi MMI connect app (see attached pictures, that show, how the Galaxy Handy is connected via WiFi and acts as a DLNA server).
For a comparison, the FIIO X5 DAP can be connected via Bluetooth, but unfortunately, the car does not support aptX ... 

I will download and test two Android DLNA server apps (Pixel, Bubble) and report, how it works.

Thanks again for a very versatile device ... 

Edit:
After deleting the embedded album covers, the FIIO Player recognises all music files  :)
Both Android DLNA apps work basically, I have to test different configurations and tagging options.
e.g.
when streaming from the Pixel DLNA server Android app, only embedded album covers are shown on the MMI display
using the bubble app, I can choose only album or directories, aritsts and genre did not work. But as said, probably only a configuration / tagging issue.

I'll find out soon  :)

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #514 of 677
The review unit just arrived.  I only played a few songs through the FLC8S; but it sounded very musical.  Clear, open, everything I would want. 

The unit reminds me a bit of the X7 in terms of sound; but a more compact form factor and more modest price point.

I had recently tested the Cayin i5, which was a very nice unit, and the sound of the X5 III reminds me a great deal of the sound of the Cayin.  And that is a compliment to both units.

It has been a while since I had tested the X5 II; but based on memory I would say that I like the sound of this unit more than the unit it replaces.  And of course it kicks sand at my sub $300 units such as the X3 I and II, and original X1.  It also tops my Shanling M2.  I don't have a Mojo around; but like the Cayin i5 this unit is worth talking about as being a worthy all in one alternative to the Mojo which requires two pieces.  Yes, the Mojo is unbelievably musical but so far this unit has nothing to apologize for.

More to follow.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #515 of 677
The EQ limitation on the X3ii did not allow it to work with hi res or DSD files. Has anyone tested that the EQ works on ALL file types in the native app (preferred) or any other Android-based players?  Thanks!

Exactly my question as well. Also, does the eq affect streaming apps like tidal as on the Sony zx2? The best feature on the zx2 if you ask me.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #517 of 677
Fairly impressed with this little dap so far.
I have been playing it side by side with my ifi iDSD Micro (siilver) and I must say it holds its own.

Very early impressions (please note this x5iii is straight out of the box, has about an hour on it.

Streaming Tidal on Laptop to iDSD - No Effects turned on
Streaming Tidal on x5iii, line out to iDSD.- No Effects turned on
Headphones: Ether C 1.1

On some pop tracks it is quite hard to tell the 2 apart.  More complex, harsh or Audiophile tracks show some differences.

Both present a pretty smooth image from a DAC Perspective.
The iDSD Micro sounds more effortless, smoother with the highs presented in what I would call "hifi".  By this I am referring to how I remember my fathers speakers sounding as a child.  Smooth, warm with bags of detail but nothing in your face.
The bass has more body and impact via the iDSD also.

The x5iii by comparison sounds very similar in its tuning, however it sounds like it has less head room.  This sounds silly coming from a DAC comparison, but to me it sounds like the iDSD does when you turn the volume bast about 1pm.  It gets a little strained and you can hear it working.  Similar effect, however not as extreme.  The difference is more subtle than pushing the iDSD too hard.
There is a slight hardness in the lower treble, which is not present in the iDSD and there is a little grainy business going on also.
While there is less bass impact and body, the bass is faster and appears to have more texture on the x5iii.

Both have a very similar mids presentation however I would give the nod to the iDSD again.

This sounds very negative towards the x5iii, but it really isn't.
I am drawing comparison above, but really the differences are small, but very audible the longer I listen (pending track)
Baring in mind the iDSD is almost 2x the price, the iDSD has been used day in day out for quite a while now and the x5 is fresh out of the box.

I think in a blind test I would tell the apart 2/3 of the time.  Alas I am at work and I am the only audio nerd here, so I may struggle for assistance.

I have not compared the headphone out of the x5iii to the iDSD as I do not have any iems/portable cans that would do the x5iii justice at this time.

I will be keeping an ear out for changes in sound from the x5iii but I am expecting good things :)

Scott

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #518 of 677
Mar 14, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #519 of 677

Very honest review and a great read.  Thank you.

I tend to agree on all of your points.  However I currently have it paired with a pair of Ether C, which tend to benefit all of the qualities that can detract from the x5iii's presentation.
In fact I find with my Ether, the x5iii compares favourably to my iDSD Micro (using the Micro as an amp via LO) with the iDSD helping in bring the sound stage back out again.

From the HP out, you can hear this collapse of the sound stage you are referring to, though I largely put it down to running full sized cans from the lower output headphone out.

Looking forward to trying some iems with it.

Worst case I will use it via Coax to my iDSD :p

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #520 of 677
Very honest review and a great read.  Thank you.

I tend to agree on all of your points.  However I currently have it paired with a pair of Ether C, which tend to benefit all of the qualities that can detract from the x5iii's presentation.
In fact I find with my Ether, the x5iii compares favourably to my iDSD Micro (using the Micro as an amp via LO) with the iDSD helping in bring the sound stage back out again.

From the HP out, you can hear this collapse of the sound stage you are referring to, though I largely put it down to running full sized cans from the lower output headphone out.

Looking forward to trying some iems with it.

Worst case I will use it via Coax to my iDSD :p

That makes sense. From my research, soundstage has A LOT to do with the amp, and less to do with the DAC.

You likely won't find any better soundstage with IEMs. I didn't. Everything I tried with the X5 sounded sort of small.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #521 of 677
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #522 of 677
Nice review, bro. Thanks for the props. You misspelled "tray"...:sunglasses:

:eek: It's better that way.

Honestly, I'm lucky I didn't botch more of it. I'm never surprised when I do.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #523 of 677

Your review really cracked me up.  Very fun writing style.

I am less than 24 hours into my evalution of the device.  Most likely I will take your approach and focus on the music playing rather than all the apps.

When playing music through the FLC8S I am rather satisfied so far.   I did notice a fair amount of hiss when music is not playing; I presume that is some kind of impedance matching issue.  Open to other thoughts on what might be going on.

I agree that the unit should be compared with the Opus#1  and the Cayin i5.     And the X7.  And of course previous generation X5 units. And yes, I do like the massive volume wheel (cylinder?) on the i5.  Well, at least there is a volume dial on this unit, even if it is smaller.  That is a very useful feature.  When you get down to it,  volume adjustments and track skipping are key functions for these kinds of devices.

Unlike you, I do not have all of those in my possession at the moment.  So I have to rely on memory, which can be fallible at best.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #524 of 677
Thanks. Glad you liked it. And even happier you're enjoying the unit. Somebody should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back