Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 21, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #14,716 of 15,899
So I'm using the :heavy_dollar_sign::hash::grey_exclamation::heavy_plus_sign: out of the space available to me.
Different strokes for different, folks, I guess.
Ha ha, fair enough. I have gone through the stage of having a CD collection so large that it took up many, many shelves to display, and I loved the possibilities that it held. My new found minimalistic approach may be highly related to how busy I have become with a late life return to full-time university and the related drop in free time. Anyway, it is great to see that many other people still keep their love of a large, accessible collection alive, and thanks to companies like FiiO for making large digital libraries literally at their fingertips.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #14,717 of 15,899
I use two 400gb cards, both filled to near capacity (ie, less than 100mb remaining space on either card) and have not experienced any related problems.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #14,718 of 15,899
you know the taking away paid viper effects is pretty messed up. they should be allowing for refunds or credits of some kind. if this was a bigger company with a wider audience, an action like this could face a class action suit - at least in the US.

anyway sadly the appox 800 gig of storage i have is not nearly enough to cover my collection
i would love to have every note in my pocket like that!

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #14,719 of 15,899
you know the taking away paid viper effects is pretty messed up. they should be allowing for refunds or credits of some kind. if this was a bigger company with a wider audience, an action like this could face a class action suit - at least in the US.

anyway sadly the appox 800 gig of storage i have is not nearly enough to cover my collection
i would love to have every note in my pocket like that!
Agree on all counts. I mean, it's not the small amount of $$$ spent on the 2 or 3 effects I paid for, but it certainly doesn't instill confidence for any similar future partnerships FiiO may attempt.

Regarding storage, oh yeah! my total music collection exceeds 2 TBs. But I fully expect 1TB micro SD cards to be a "thing" in a year or so, and a year or so after they are introduced, the price will fall accordingly. Hell, 512GB cards are well under $100 now!!!!

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #14,720 of 15,899
BTW, I want to throw out a random question, not meaning to sidetrack the conversation, but why are audiophiles not permitted to own pets? the majority of "for sale" listings I see here state "pet free home". I get that pet dander may be around in the house, but does that mean that because I have pets (2 dogs, 2 parrots, 1 cat), I'm not allowed to sell or trade my gear???

Srsly

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #14,721 of 15,899
Agree on all counts. I mean, it's not the small amount of $$$ spent on the 2 or 3 effects I paid for, but it certainly doesn't instill confidence for any similar future partnerships FiiO may attempt.

Regarding storage, oh yeah! my total music collection exceeds 2 TBs. But I fully expect 1TB micro SD cards to be a "thing" in a year or so, and a year or so after they are introduced, the price will fall accordingly. Hell, 512GB cards are well under $100 now!!!!

1TB cards are available now, the first genuine cards were announced quite recently although I think they are priced around £500 so probably $500 in the US.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #14,722 of 15,899
1TB cards are available now, the first genuine cards were announced quite recently although I think they are priced around £500 so probably $500 in the US.
Thanks, I havn't seen them available in my area yet, but no real hurry. My current stop-gap is to maintain a few different DAPs, which combined, can hold my entire collection.

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #14,723 of 15,899
ugh the idea of TB cards coming soon makes me happy but also a bit angry lol
i'll just have to wait until they are cheap enough to justify the purchase. i originally got a 256 and shortly after for LESS money i got 400s. now we're seeing 512s for less than i paid for the 400s.
it's like if i knew all this a year ago i woulda just sat on my internal storage and waited for the size i actually need! 2TB would cover everything i have stored digitally right now i believe.

pretty soon my son will be old enough to begin his first paid job ---> transferring my approx 10k CD collection to digitial =()

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #14,724 of 15,899
I use two 400gb cards, both filled to near capacity (ie, less than 100mb remaining space on either card) and have not experienced any related problems.

*Scratches head* I guess I’ll just tread carefully and continue filling this sucker up. I still don’t understand how much more data I can safely add. As I said, there is a 2GB difference in free space readings and a whopping 26GB in total space capacity readings. See what I mean?

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #14,725 of 15,899
I also don't fully understand the differences in capacity numbers. Here's a suggestion, simply continue to add files until you get the error message telling that you "need an additional xxx of space..." etc. Then you know you're full up!!! :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #14,726 of 15,899
i originally got a 256 and shortly after for LESS money i got 400s.

NO kidding. 400 GB's are now under $70. Last week, I saw 512's for around $79. That deal is now gone, but it will be back.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #14,728 of 15,899
So I'm getting a preowned one of these tomorrow. Should I run the latest stock firmware or one of the custom ones mentioned in this thread, and which one if so?

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #14,730 of 15,899
1.2.3 (official firmware) is fine.

https://www.head-fi.org/posts/14769688/

follow the steps in that post.
just skip the step where you download and replace the ‘update.img’ in the firmware upgrade tool folder with the custom one.
this will get you firmware 1.2.1 on a clean install.
before steps about installing custom recovery (TWRP), connect your player to WiFi and it will discover two over the air firmware updates. they are done consecutively, one will get you to 1.2.2, after installing that the 1.2.3 ota will pop up on WiFi.
after that you’ve got the rest of the steps to power through, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back