Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #14,686 of 15,897
Are there no capacitors in the circuit to smooth the voltage/current from the USB supply to electronic circuitry?

Without looking properly at the circuit diagram I wouldn't be able to confirm one way or another. But one thing's for sure - the unit wasn't designed to draw power directly from a DC input without going via the battery, which is why when my kernel steps up the clock speed the unit reboots. Thus I'd posit that without the battery there is minimal (or no) voltage regulation on the board.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #14,687 of 15,897
You took note of your device because of a firmware update (a checkup) and noticed a symptom you ignored up until that point.

While I agree with the later comments that the firmware itself is not to blame for the battery swelling, I have to object to this one statement. I use(d) my Fiio X5III *daily* with no case on it. I would have noticed any bulging of the back cover immediately (and, in fact, did). Most of the time, I had the device plugged in to my K5 dock -- and that's the more likely culprit in my mind.

Mar 18, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #14,688 of 15,897
While I agree with the later comments that the firmware itself is not to blame for the battery swelling, I have to object to this one statement. I use(d) my Fiio X5III *daily* with no case on it. I would have noticed any bulging of the back cover immediately (and, in fact, did). Most of the time, I had the device plugged in to my K5 dock -- and that's the more likely culprit in my mind.

I think you're onto something here.

Do you have one of these? https://cpc.farnell.com/startech/usbaubschm/tester-usb-voltage-current/dp/IN07453
Would be interesting to check the K5 output vs, say a DC input or laptop USB port

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #14,691 of 15,897
The more I read this thread the more I realize how lucky I've been.

Since receiving my X5iii 17 months ago, it's been permanently resting on my Audio-Technica turntable plugged into a "smart" charger under "In Vehicle" mode with the option of bypassing the battery and using the charge to solely operate the device.

I have only used the stock firmware and have kept everything up to date. To this day I have had little to no problems. No random shut downs, lock ups or anything of the like. Before the most recent group of updates, the only problem I've had on quite disparate occasions is for the sound to cut out transitioning from one song format to another. All I would have to do was hit next song and it would pick another and the sound would return. I have only listened to my X5iii in shuffle play since I received it. Since the recent updates my unit has operated flawlessly. I use it a couple of hours every day. I have never noticed any undue overheating. The sound quality is fantastic. The only time my X5iii gets removed from the charger is every couple of months I'll pull the charger cable from the USB port and the unit will automatically go into its shut down routine and I'll take it into another room with better lighting so I can swap out my 256 GB microSD card. I like to have the most current masters on my device and prefer to load my cards in one go with my computer .

My unit works like a dream and I can't help but think that FiiO has a great problem with quality control. How else to explain all of the assorted things that have gone wrong for so many people.

Mar 18, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #14,692 of 15,897

Since receiving my X5iii 17 months ago, it's been permanently resting on my Audio-Technica turntable plugged into a "smart" charger under "In Vehicle" mode with the option of bypassing the battery and using the charge to solely operate the device.

I have only used the stock firmware and have kept everything up to date. To this day I have had little to no problems. No random shut downs, lock ups or anything of the like. Before the most recent group of updates, the only problem I've had on quite disparate occasions is for the sound to cut out transitioning from one song format to another. All I would have to do was hit next song and it would pick another and the sound would return. I have only listened to my X5iii in shuffle play since I received it. Since the recent updates my unit has operated flawlessly. I use it a couple of hours every day. I have never noticed any undue overheating. The sound quality is fantastic. The only time my X5iii gets removed from the charger is every couple of months I'll pull the charger cable from the USB port and the unit will automatically go into its shut down routine and I'll take it into another room with better lighting so I can swap out my 256 GB microSD card. I like to have the most current masters on my device and prefer to load my cards in one go with my computer .

My unit works like a dream and I can't help but think that FiiO has a great problem with quality control. How else to explain all of the assorted things that have gone wrong for so many people.

Two responses to that:

1. Do share more information about this smart charger of yours... :wink:
2. I'm not so sure I'd flag the problem as "quality control." The vibe I get, what with the ongoing issues getting FiiO to parse users' complaints about the FiiO Music app and now the determination that the unit is not using adaptive charging (even though FiiO markets their docks as perfect companions to these units) is a fundamental lack of software engineering know-how. The hardware itself seems nicely designed and assembled reasonably well. The audio engineering is certainly on a par with where it ought to be. It's the software as it relates to the HW, the OS and of course the UI that's very clearly the weak link in the chain.

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #14,693 of 15,897
Two responses to that:

1. Do share more information about this smart charger of yours... :wink:
2. I'm not so sure I'd flag the problem as "quality control." The vibe I get, what with the ongoing issues getting FiiO to parse users' complaints about the FiiO Music app and now the determination that the unit is not using adaptive charging (even though FiiO markets their docks as perfect companions to these units) is a fundamental lack of software engineering know-how. The hardware itself seems nicely designed and assembled reasonably well. The audio engineering is certainly on a par with where it ought to be. It's the software as it relates to the HW, the OS and of course the UI that's very clearly the weak link in the chain.
My so called "smart" charger is an Anker Elite 2 port USB wall charger, Powerport 2 with Power IQ. It's plugged into a power strip laying on the floor with 6.2 ft braided USB to micro USB cable plugged into the IQ port on the charger. The charger costs $10.99 in the US. I think the cable cost more than the charger.

I'm sure that using "In Vehicle" mode is the key to this. From what I remember of researching chargers, it seemed to make sense that the charger should be able to have some sense of the conditions to which it's applying the charge. It's worked well and the battery has never not shown a full charge on the battery.

Obviously portability is not possible. I've got my X1ii for that.

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #14,694 of 15,897
I'm sure that using "In Vehicle" mode is the key to this. From what I remember of researching chargers, it seemed to make sense that the charger should be able to have some sense of the conditions to which it's applying the charge. It's worked well and the battery has never not shown a full charge on the battery.
Hmm. I haven't EVER looked at In Vehicle mode for such an option... but in any event, wouldn't the battery meter be showing a full charge if the charger WAS keeping it topped off?

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #14,696 of 15,897
Hmm. I haven't EVER looked at In Vehicle mode for such an option... but in any event, wouldn't the battery meter be showing a full charge if the charger WAS keeping it topped off?
I guess it's true that the charger might be keeping the battery topped off. I've taken the instructions at their face value that In Vehicle mode bypasses the battery entirely. I do know from actually using my X1ii in my Subaru with a simple 2 USB port trickle charger plugged into the 12V power receptacle, that the X1ii will draw from its battery if the charger doesn't supply enough power.

I have no idea what FiiO's original intentions were with In Vehicle mode but as implemented, when your FiiO device is plugged into your car's USB port, turning on the ignition causes the dap to boot up. Turning off the ignition will initiate a shutdown, which can be ignored if you'd like to leave the X5iii on. I doubt FiiO had turning the X5iii into a stereo component when they came up with In Vehicle mode. My X5 is permanently attached to the CD recorder input of my JVC receiver.

There's no telling what the long term effects of using my X5iii this way. So far 17 months of being "plugged in" hasn't presented me with any problems. Only time will tell. I've gotten an incredible amount of enjoyment from my X5iii so far so I'll be ok with replacing it at any point. I only ask my device to do what I know it can do without fail.

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #14,698 of 15,897
I'm sure that using "In Vehicle" mode is the key to this.

Actually, that's really a question for @jkbuha ... in your travels through the x5iii's inner workings, have you come across any code that would confirm that "In Vehicle" mode bypasses battery charging? Perhaps that's a quick option for those of us with K5 docks to keep our batteries safer?

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #14,700 of 15,897

Thank you for a great tip with Vehicle mod. FiiO did not say that it was finally functional, nor did I think to use it. Although it automatically switches to FiiO Music, UAPP, Foobar and Spotify are unusable - it's like Pure Music mode. But DLNA over Wifi can be without battery limit (16 bit PCM smoothly, not mp3 stream). I love permanent 100% battery !!
I have a small tip for USB power supply - magnetic micro USB connector permanently mounted and special only power cable with magnetic connector. I have no patience or eyes to crush it. And my Davidoff
bonus powerbank has finally been used. New music is still the fastest copy over Wifi .As usual, the only source for Middle Europe is AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOP...830.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dvluUnz

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back