Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 27, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #14,747 of 15,897
Dear Head-Fi community,

Whilst working on upstreaming the kernel to a more recent Linux version in order to support more features, I’ve come across a substantial amount of performance-enhancing functionality that is worth releasing in its own right. So I’m very happy to announce a performance-specific release - Version 2.8, which is between 20-30% faster than Version 2.7. This brings out the best in the limited capabilities of the Rockchip RK3188, and whilst it will never match the CPU performance of the FiiO M11, it provides a very fast and responsive experience in terms of usage and feel.

Changelog
=========

Version 2.8
Performance Build

New: Disabled CRC checking in all kernel code (significant performance improvement)
New: Optimised compilation parameters (-Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer)
New: Fine-tuned kernel optimisation for RK3188 (-mtune=cortex-a9)
New: Optimised ARM RWSEM algorithm

Version 2.7
New: Redesigned Busybox installer
New: Redesigned Permissive SE Linux installer
New: Kernel version now displayed in settings
Fix: Corrections to anyone who was not seeing the msg "Kernel optimisation Ready" prompt

Version 2.6
New: UKSM instead of KSM (much faster)
New: ZRAM (more RAM)
New: fsync_disable (much, much faster)
New: ROW I/O scheduler for SD cards (much faster)
New: LZ4 Compression instead of LZO (faster, more compression)
New: zsmalloc implementation instead of xsmalloc
New: zcache enabling (faster)
New: ARM RSEM implementation (faster)
New: frandom generator instead of random (much, much faster)
New: MSG pop-up notification daemon
Fix: Lowered voltage for some FiiO players with lower-grade VCOs
Fix: Corrected git file dependencies
Fix: Disabled system animation by default

Version 2.5
New: Increased max clock speed to 1752MHz (faster)
New: BFQ I/O scheduler (faster)
New: Westwood TCP/IP congestion protocol (much faster)
New: InteractiveX governor (much, much, much faster)
Fix: Stability checks to voltage
Fix: iX handling changes

Version 2.4
New: Maple I/O Scheduler (faster)
New: init.d full support (much, much faster)
New: init.d scripts (thanks prispewnic @ 4PDA)

Version 2.3
New: Zen I/O scheduler (much faster)

Version 2.2
Fix: Changes to scheduler priorities during screen off (faster)

Version 2.1
New: Additional GPU and DDR overclocking (much, much faster)

Version 1.4
New: Update to Linaro gcc 4.9.4 (significantly much faster)

Version 1.3
New: SIO I/O scheduler (faster)
New: VR I/O scheduler (faster)
New: CPU clock to 1704MHz (much, much faster)

Version 1.2
New: Additional voltage optimisation and DDR overclocking

Version 1.1
New: GPIO optimisation and documentation
New: CPU clock to 1518MHz (faster)

Version 1.0
Initial system release and branch-off from FiiO GPL code

Installation instructions:

1) Windows and/or first time users
If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

a) If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899882

(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)

b) Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

c) Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

d) If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) TWRP users

a) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397926869 and push to sdcard

b) Reboot to TWRP recovery

c) Install -> FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V2.8-TWRP.zip

d) Wipe kernel and dalvik cache

e) Reboot

f) IMPORTANT: leave running for 1-2 minutes for new scripts to do their magic

g) Reboot

h) Enjoy :)

Thanks and Rants

Once again, massive thanks to prispewnic's scripting and product features, suggestions and testing. Thanks to the great community of FiiO users, both on Head-Fi and 4PDA,

Thanks also to @FiiO for fully supporting the GPL license and releasing the source code back in June. If it weren’t for you we wouldn’t have this modded kernel.

Version 3 is ongoing and hopefully will be released in the coming weeks; this will be quite an ambitious project as the Linux source code will need to be upgraded from 3.0.101 to 3.18. Small numbers, but equivalent to approx 100,000 lines of code...

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

PS: @moderators - could someone please pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 1000 odd pages before they get to this...

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #14,748 of 15,897
Dear Head-Fi community,

Whilst working on upstreaming the kernel to a more recent Linux version in order to support more features, I’ve come across a substantial amount of performance-enhancing functionality that is worth releasing in its own right. So I’m very happy to announce a performance-specific release - Version 2.8, which is between 20-30% faster than Version 2.7. This brings out the best in the limited capabilities of the Rockchip RK3188, and whilst it will never match the CPU performance of the FiiO M11, it provides a very fast and responsive experience in terms of usage and feel.

Changelog
=========

Version 2.8
Performance Build

New: Disabled CRC checking in all kernel code (significant performance improvement)
New: Optimised compilation parameters (-Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer)
New: Fine-tuned kernel optimisation for RK3188 (-mtune=cortex-a9)
New: Optimised ARM RWSEM algorithm

Version 2.7
New: Redesigned Busybox installer
New: Redesigned Permissive SE Linux installer
New: Kernel version now displayed in settings
Fix: Corrections to anyone who was not seeing the msg "Kernel optimisation Ready" prompt

Version 2.6
New: UKSM instead of KSM (much faster)
New: ZRAM (more RAM)
New: fsync_disable (much, much faster)
New: ROW I/O scheduler for SD cards (much faster)
New: LZ4 Compression instead of LZO (faster, more compression)
New: zsmalloc implementation instead of xsmalloc
New: zcache enabling (faster)
New: ARM RSEM implementation (faster)
New: frandom generator instead of random (much, much faster)
New: MSG pop-up notification daemon
Fix: Lowered voltage for some FiiO players with lower-grade VCOs
Fix: Corrected git file dependencies
Fix: Disabled system animation by default

Version 2.5
New: Increased max clock speed to 1752MHz (faster)
New: BFQ I/O scheduler (faster)
New: Westwood TCP/IP congestion protocol (much faster)
New: InteractiveX governor (much, much, much faster)
Fix: Stability checks to voltage
Fix: iX handling changes

Version 2.4
New: Maple I/O Scheduler (faster)
New: init.d full support (much, much faster)
New: init.d scripts (thanks prispewnic @ 4PDA)

Version 2.3
New: Zen I/O scheduler (much faster)

Version 2.2
Fix: Changes to scheduler priorities during screen off (faster)

Version 2.1
New: Additional GPU and DDR overclocking (much, much faster)

Version 1.4
New: Update to Linaro gcc 4.9.4 (significantly much faster)

Version 1.3
New: SIO I/O scheduler (faster)
New: VR I/O scheduler (faster)
New: CPU clock to 1704MHz (much, much faster)

Version 1.2
New: Additional voltage optimisation and DDR overclocking

Version 1.1
New: GPIO optimisation and documentation
New: CPU clock to 1518MHz (faster)

Version 1.0
Initial system release and branch-off from FiiO GPL code

Installation instructions:

1) Windows and/or first time users
If you already have TWRP or a previous version of my kernel, go to step 2.

a) If you don't yet have TWRP and/or any previous version of my kernel yet, download the Windows-based loader here and unzip to a folder
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397899882

(note: you need to have the FiiO USB Windows drivers correctly installed)

b) Run the AndroidTool.exe program and connect the FiiO via USB.

c) Put the player in bootloader mode (just as if you were going to upgrade the player the traditional FiiO way with the Windows based loader), by pressing power+pause+back.

d) If all goes well you should see the green light with 'Found One Loader Device'. Make sure 'boot' and 'recovery_twrp' are selected and press Run. Once done, click the 'Advanced Function' tab and click Reset Device. You should have the new kernel and TWRP installed!

2) TWRP users

a) Download the latest version of the kernel (with new optimisation scripts) here:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397926869 and push to sdcard

b) Reboot to TWRP recovery

c) Install -> FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V2.8-TWRP.zip

d) Wipe kernel and dalvik cache

e) Reboot

f) IMPORTANT: leave running for 1-2 minutes for new scripts to do their magic

g) Reboot

h) Enjoy :)

Thanks and Rants

Once again, massive thanks to prispewnic's scripting and product features, suggestions and testing. Thanks to the great community of FiiO users, both on Head-Fi and 4PDA,

Thanks also to @FiiO for fully supporting the GPL license and releasing the source code back in June. If it weren’t for you we wouldn’t have this modded kernel.

Version 3 is ongoing and hopefully will be released in the coming weeks; this will be quite an ambitious project as the Linux source code will need to be upgraded from 3.0.101 to 3.18. Small numbers, but equivalent to approx 100,000 lines of code...

As always, any queries, comments etc - please shout.

PS: @moderators - could someone please pin this to the first post of this topic? It's a real shame that new users have to trudge through 1000 odd pages before they get to this...

Question: Is it still an issue running Fidelizer? I ran into this when trying to install one of your latest versions and didn't mess with the work-around suggested as I'm not all that code-savy.

Powderphinger

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #14,749 of 15,897
Question: Is it still an issue running Fidelizer? I ran into this when trying to install one of your latest versions and didn't mess with the work-around suggested as I'm not all that code-savy.

Powderphinger

Yes but as long as you clear some space in the system partition you'll be fine. If you're not comfortable with changing /system then I'd suggest you reinstall FiiO vanilla 1.2.3 to use this kernel.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #14,750 of 15,897
I decided to nut up and give this a try, but when I connect the device via USB, then press power/pause/back, it just takes a screen shot. What am I missing (besides perhaps opposable thumbs)?

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #14,751 of 15,897
I decided to nut up and give this a try, but when I connect the device via USB, then press power/pause/back, it just takes a screen shot. What am I missing (besides perhaps opposable thumbs)?

Works best when the device is off, but it still works even when it's on. Keep them held down. Release power at welcome logo and the other two when you see TWRP.

If you're using command prompt or terminal it's easy to just enter 'adb reboot recovery' .

You're not doing anything wrong, otherwise. Just hold them down.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #14,752 of 15,897
2.8: First Impressions

0DC6B165-378A-446F-8FD6-6D23D5AD436D.gif

I keep my album artwork at sizes that are wholly unnecessary (appreciable on a larger display but I don’t feel like having to retag everything for X5 or vice versa). Were they optimally sized at 600x600 I’m sure they’d load instantaneously. Now even those 1200x1200 & higher are loading in noticeably faster.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #14,753 of 15,897
Okay, I figured out how to the option screen, but when I scroll to Boot Loader Mode and press enter (which I assume is the power button), the screen goes black and nothing more happens.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #14,754 of 15,897
Okay, I figured out how to the option screen, but when I scroll to Boot Loader Mode and press enter (which I assume is the power button), the screen goes black and nothing more happens.
That’s not whatcha want, my friend. It appears you have not installed the custom recovery successfully.

If you’re trying to simply enter boot loader mode it’s done by plugging your powered off device into a usb cable (connected to your pc) while the previous track button is held down.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #14,755 of 15,897
Thanks for the help. My thumb is getting sore! I'll try again later on

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #14,756 of 15,897
Dear Head-Fi community,

Can't wait to try it out... still waiting on the replacement battery, but now I'm even more eager!

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #14,757 of 15,897
Dear Head-Fi community,

Geez, you were not kidding about the speed increase.

Thanks for all your work on this DAP. You turned it from a buyer's remorse to a daily driver.

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #14,758 of 15,897
EDIT - never mind, went back to Witzyzed instructions and that cleared it up for me.

Finally decided to install the jkbuha and I'm lost right at the start. The Android Tool "No found Any devices". I've go the USB 4.47 drivers installed. What mode does the X5 have to be in? Help.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #14,759 of 15,897
Dear all, I've been facing this problem where in FiiO music app always have a prompt, exception occurs and then application crash and restart.
Any fix around on this?

Mar 28, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #14,760 of 15,897
I always get it when something is playing from 1 card and I try to pick something from the second card, bang app crashes then restarts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back