Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 30, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #14,776 of 15,899
Mar 31, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #14,778 of 15,899
Wasn't expecting such distain, tbh..

Writing it off as "not even for X5III" when it's not even on the play store, which if you think it was for phones they'd have pushed it there?

It's solved any hitches I had in scanning my library, last time I had it installed, at least.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #14,779 of 15,899
Hi All sorry to sidestep for a minute but a few quickies as I try to get my life in order with this unit

-Got USB Audio Player Pro and was having some issues getting it to load for a bit but they seem to have worked themselves out idk. Still need to do a solid sound comparison against Fiio music app. Any advice on using UAPP with this device and to get the best sound? It said it detected my chip when first installed etc.

-Riding in the car do I want bluetooth or use the line in that my car has? I think one uses the Fiio DAC and the other doesn't but forget which was which!

-I believe I'm running firmware 1.2.0 and fiio music app 3.4.1
These I think were both considered pretty stable at the time so I've been hesitant to tamper. Should I be upgrading one/both/neither?? With all the woahs peeps seem to have here I have this if it ain't (terribly) broke then don't fix it!

Apr 2, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #14,781 of 15,899
I’ve unfortunately done the same before, and only by restoring the stock recovery image with the android tool exe (the one with the 2nd and 3rd options checked, you want to deselect 2 & 3 and select #4 and run it)
This will remove TWRP, and restore stock recovery. Then you can use technical support application to install this ota zip: http://x5pack.fiio.net/1.2.2/X5-ota-1.2.3.zip
Then you’re going to have to put TWRP back on and reflash the kernel and such.
That’s the only way to get a functional playstore back.
The stock firmware comes with an older version of play store (I forget which) and it auto updates to another newer but compatible version when you end up seeing ‘unfortunately launcher 3 has stopped’ or something to that effect.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #14,782 of 15,899
Hi All sorry to sidestep for a minute but a few quickies as I try to get my life in order with this unit

-Got USB Audio Player Pro and was having some issues getting it to load for a bit but they seem to have worked themselves out idk. Still need to do a solid sound comparison against Fiio music app. Any advice on using UAPP with this device and to get the best sound? It said it detected my chip when first installed etc.

-Riding in the car do I want bluetooth or use the line in that my car has? I think one uses the Fiio DAC and the other doesn't but forget which was which!

-I believe I'm running firmware 1.2.0 and fiio music app 3.4.1
These I think were both considered pretty stable at the time so I've been hesitant to tamper. Should I be upgrading one/both/neither?? With all the woahs peeps seem to have here I have this if it ain't (terribly) broke then don't fix it!

UAPP works out of the box just fine with the X5iii. No need to tinker with settings. If you turn “bit perfect” to on/when possible it just disables any EQ or extension stuff. But that bit perfect-ness is there to begin with.

For your car, unless you know the Bluetooth capabilities of the receiver (as far as APT-X compatibility goes, giving you ~320kbps bitrate equivalent) your line out is going to be decoding the digital signal to analog. How is a digital signal going to be decoded to analog (with the FiiO’s DAC) then resent back to digital realm of Bluetooth? Think about that. Bluetooth doesn’t use the DAC.

Also, not to sound pushy (okay yeah it 100% is) but if you don’t care about losing the VU meter or viper effects, just do the darn upgrade, dude. It’s not hard. You can always delete the newer FiiO music app and put 3.4.1 or 3.4.3 back in its place, if you can live with its bugs and nightmare alphabetical sorting.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #14,783 of 15,899
i'm just not sure there is much to gain in updating?
fiio music i've pretty much turned my back on due to font size and lack of album artist support

firmware is idk. doesn't seem like anyone has been impressed with what they have rolled out since my version?

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #14,784 of 15,899
UAPP works out of the box just fine with the X5iii. No need to tinker with settings. If you turn “bit perfect” to on/when possible it just disables any EQ or extension stuff. But that bit perfect-ness is there to begin with.

For your car, unless you know the Bluetooth capabilities of the receiver (as far as APT-X compatibility goes, giving you ~320kbps bitrate equivalent) your line out is going to be decoding the digital signal to analog. How is a digital signal going to be decoded to analog (with the FiiO’s DAC) then resent back to digital realm of Bluetooth? Think about that. Bluetooth doesn’t use the DAC.

Also, not to sound pushy (okay yeah it 100% is) but if you don’t care about losing the VU meter or viper effects, just do the darn upgrade, dude. It’s not hard. You can always delete the newer FiiO music app and put 3.4.1 or 3.4.3 back in its place, if you can live with its bugs and nightmare alphabetical sorting.

It is not necessary to reinstall the firmware to restore Google Apps. If you have TWRP, download OpenGapps version for ARM, Android 5.1 pico version (minimal and only needed - big about 90 - 120 Mb) copy to USB storage and flash through TWRP. It has half the size of Google Apps, perfectly functional and uninstallable with the same technology as Google Apps from FiiO.
Flash cannot allow cache cleaning and Dalvik Cache - only reboot!
That's all - I've done it for about 3 times on the same firmware - UAPP player was the only one. After 2 days Gapps out again.
Link and view of Open Gapps
https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm&api=8.1

It's a mandatory step for any Android smartphone with custom ROM and root. The waste of time and energy to restore the firmware and then idiotic embarrassment, get the software, etc.

Edit : Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to use OpenGapps to restore Google Accounts

Gapps.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #14,785 of 15,899
It is not necessary to reinstall the firmware to restore Google Apps. If you have TWRP, download OpenGapps version for ARM, Android 5.1 pico version (minimal and only needed - big about 90 - 120 Mb) copy to USB storage and flash through TWRP. It has half the size of Google Apps, perfectly functional and uninstallable with the same technology as Google Apps from FiiO.
Flash cannot allow cache cleaning and Dalvik Cache - only reboot!
That's all - I've done it for about 3 times on the same firmware - UAPP player was the only one. After 2 days Gapps out again.
Link and view of Open Gapps
https://opengapps.org/?arch=arm&api=8.1

Are applications I’ve purchased with existing play store accessible through GApps? I know you use UAPP a lot, and that was the application that needs license check. I’m not interested in getting apps I haven’t paid for, and just downloading an apk of UAPP from a repo doesn’t mean it will pass a license check.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #14,786 of 15,899
Are applications I’ve purchased with existing play store accessible through GApps? I know you use UAPP a lot, and that was the application that needs license check. I’m not interested in getting apps I haven’t paid for, and just downloading an apk of UAPP from a repo doesn’t mean it will pass a license check.
Of course. UAPP checks the license for 2 days and then stops. Thanks God.
I don't even install apps from the Google Store, install them from backups using Solid Explorer or ES Explorer in advance - Solid Explorer can also load system apps like FiiO Music or Google package and reinstall it reliably. Root menu / Applications and copy command. I save it to an SD card because stupid firmware update will destroy everything on the internal USB. Take it easy.
Then just sign in to your Google Account etc. Alternatively, I update UAPP and the rest.

Since Android 4.0, I have every Samsung Galaxy with root and custom ROM, so it's easy to muddle. Samsung has reliably lost its hardware with its stupid corporate software - to this day

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #14,787 of 15,899
In addition, TWRP allows complete system backup and, of course, recovery. He just needs to leave about 1.5 Gb of free space on the internal USB - there is a TWRP directory ready for that.
Move the renamed TWRP backups to your PC and make the world safer again ... TWRP can also connect via USB l PC and copy it back to internal USB to TWRP directory and install a previous firmware recovery. Load All - Kernel, Boot, Recovery, Cache, Data, System - Without Compression, That would probably be a lot of too much game. I haven't had a good deal of adrenaline for a long time, so I'll try it out on my FiiO on behalf of the community, all versions of Open Gapps don't have to be 100% functional and I didn't even do a recovery from TWRP. With so many updates, it didn't even make sense

By tomorrow, write whether it is still usable. In the worst case, I reinstall the firmware that is a safe way.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #14,788 of 15,899
Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to use OpenGapps to restore Google Accounts. I tried my 3 versions OpenGapps, not one does not install major Google Apps folders - just calendar, contacts, and other stupid things. But backup and restore via TWRP work perfectly. So this is the only way to restore Google Account and access Google Play, etc. And it's safe. The system complete backup is 800 Mb, depending on the number of installed applications. 3 times I have restored the system with both setup and application and perfectly. That's the only way. I think this is certainly related to how he mentioned jkbuha that FiiO changed the structure in firmware 1.21 or 1.22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back