Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 19, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #13,786 of 15,897
The windows installer has a (much) higher success rate than the apk version.

I used to have the same concerns, but i virus-scanned the installer and firewalled it, and removed it after rooting, and had no issues whatsoever.

It's the easiest way to get root on FiiO but is quite annoying, so once you do just remove it and/or replace it with SuperSU, which works flawlessly.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #13,787 of 15,897
Apk worked for me. Just had to mess around with the app a bit. After installing TWRP I uninstalled it since it was taking over the lock screen and so on.

Now I'll just have to find time to actually test the device with the new kernel.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #13,788 of 15,897
Happy weekend everyone

In response to the overwhelming amount of private requests I'm getting to have the modded kernel in an easier flashable zip format, I've released V1.4 of my modded kernel for the FiiO X5iii firmware - installed via TWRP only (though if you prefer you could extract the boot.img and flash via rkflashtool as per usual).

Download

http://bit.ly/jkbuha14a

Changelog for V1.4
- Added temperature and voltage stability checks in kernel
- Pushed sio scheduler with interactive governor as default
- Repackaged file in .zip for TWRP recovery

Instructions
- You'll need to have TWRP 2.8.5.0 or higher installed as recovery (see elsewhere in this thread for instructions how to flash, it's been posted many times recently)
- Push the zip to a tmp folder to flash, recommended /sdcard/
- Boot to TWRP recovery
- Select Install zip from the menu, and select FiiO jkbuha V1.4 zip
- When successful, optionally (re-)wipe kernel and dalvik cache and reboot
- Enjoy!
Great! Thank you very much!. Now to install TWRP.
Happy weekend everyone

In response to the overwhelming amount of private requests I'm getting to have the modded kernel in an easier flashable zip format, I've released V1.4 of my modded kernel for the FiiO X5iii firmware - installed via TWRP only (though if you prefer you could extract the boot.img and flash via rkflashtool as per usual).

Download

http://bit.ly/jkbuha14a

Changelog for V1.4
- Added temperature and voltage stability checks in kernel
- Pushed sio scheduler with interactive governor as default
- Repackaged file in .zip for TWRP recovery

Instructions for flashing TWRP on FW 1.2.1 and above

1) Flash 1.2.1 normally using ota
2) Root the device using kingoroot method (only temporary). Google around for the installer - you'll need to install the windows/macos version
3) Once rooted, download the custom TWRP for Fiio from here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-512#post-13429208

4) Reboot, connect cable to FiiO, execute the following via windows/macos/linux:
Code:
adb push <location of twrp file> /sdcard/
adb shell
su
dd if=/sdcard/<twrp_recovery> of=/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/recovery
exit
exit
adb reboot recovery

5) Flash SuperSU from recovery (optional, if you want root)

Instructions for flashing kernel using TWRP
6) Push the zip to a tmp folder to flash, recommended /sdcard/
7) Boot to TWRP recovery
8) Select Install zip from the menu, and select FiiO jkbuha V1.4 zip
9) When successful, optionally (re-)wipe kernel and dalvik cache and reboot
10) Enjoy!

Credits to @XVortex for the TWRP build. Time permitting I'll try and release an updated version (3.2.1.0+) of TWRP sometime in the near future.

Bricked badly, the device does not turn on.

I was rebooting after pushing TWRP.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #13,789 of 15,897
Fear not, the device doesn't brick. Quite easy to recover.

If all else fails, unplug from charger, press power for at least 30 seconds until it goes into bootloader mode. At this point you can reflash kernel using rkflashtool or the FiiO firmware utility in Windows.

Aug 19, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #13,790 of 15,897
Fear not, the device doesn't brick. Quite easy to recover.

If all else fails, unplug from charger, press power for at least 30 seconds until it goes into bootloader mode. At this point you can reflash kernel using rkflashtool or the FiiO firmware utility in Windows.

My bad, I pushed the ZIP not the img file. For the people that is as dumb as I am, do not push the zip, push the img file from the bin folder in the TWRP zip. It needs to be Recovery_TWRP.img

X5 rebooting now with new Kernel, let us see what this baby can do with a better Kernel.

Thank you jkbuha.

EDIT: very initial impressions... WOW, GUI way, way more responsive. This is great!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #13,791 of 15,897
Thanks :) Glad the new kernel is working for you as expected.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #13,792 of 15,897
@jkbha I'm just working through installing your kernel and have come up against a remote permission denied message when trying to push the twrp img to sdcard. I've verified kingoroot using a root verifier and all looks ok. It's beena long time since I've done anything like this, so before I try remounting the sdcard with different permissions or anything, I wanted to check if I've done something daft!

I'm using powershell on win10 rather than the traditional command prompt which means I have to preface adb with ".\" and getting the following message "adb: error: failed to copy 'c:\recovery_twrp.img' to '/sdcard/recovery_twrp.img': remote Permission denied

adb is working...at least it responds to ".\adb devices"

TIA!

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #13,793 of 15,897
not been a big user of powershell fwiw but tbh i don't have enough time to experiment with new shells these days... in fact it's likely to be a pathname issue

bash has always been faithful and i'm mostly in macos/kali so these work fine.

try this on powershell

adb shell
su (you should get root prompt on device)
ls -la /sdcard/
mount

let me know what response you get..

Aug 20, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #13,794 of 15,897
Thanks... got root prompt as expected, then the following:

rootfs / rootfs ro,seclabel,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
none /dev/memcg cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0
/sys/kernel/debug /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/system /system ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc,discard 0 0
/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/metadata /metadata ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc,discard 0 0
/dev/block/platform/emmc/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc,discard 0 0

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #13,797 of 15,897
Just got my X5iii for 3 days...

Some point in my mind :
1) Spotify offline mode will log off if you shut down the device for 3 hours, this result all download disappeared...
2) reading some articles and reviews, the balanced 2.5mm, is it worthy? I am using CA Polaris
3) I installed Apple Music in my Note 8. the song is brighter/louder than Spotify... unfortunately I can't install this in X5iii...
Dear friend,

For the issue with Spotify, you may read: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257
You would need to download the APK of the APPlE Music from browser or computer first. Then install it in the X5III for help.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 21, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #13,798 of 15,897
Hey all, thanks for a thread full of knowledge. Had my X5iii for about a year now, use primarily for commuting on the train, stacked with the mont blanc headphone amp, etymotic er4p and er4sx IEM's, Fidelizer 1.2.1 firmware.

I like the viper effect but have never been able to purchase upgrades such as the tube effect simulator.

Question is are the upgrades worth it and everytime I do try to scan the paypal qr code for viper it says the codes are invalid ? Thoughts ?
Anyone ? Help me out here, really want to purchase more viper features.....?

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #13,799 of 15,897
Happy weekend everyone

Instructions for flashing kernel using TWRP
6) Push the zip to a tmp folder to flash, recommended /sdcard/
7) Boot to TWRP recovery
8) Select Install zip from the menu, and select FiiO jkbuha V1.4 zip
9) When successful, optionally (re-)wipe kernel and dalvik cache and reboot
10) Enjoy!

Credits to @XVortex for the TWRP build. Time permitting I'll try and release an updated version (3.2.1.0+) of TWRP sometime in the near future.

works perfectly fine for me, thanks alot man!

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #13,800 of 15,897
Dear friend,

For the issue with Spotify, you may read: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257
You would need to download the APK of the APPlE Music from browser or computer first. Then install it in the X5III for help.

Best regards

Thank you for the info...

the best solution for Offline spotify, is to force close the app... thanks also to @etoiletbiscuit

The music apple I will give it a try
edit : the apple music apk is successful installed, but can not play the streaming song, or download.... i download the 2.5.0 version

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back