Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 25, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #13,246 of 15,897
Gents,

Personally, I only use the unit as a music player. Don't stream, don't use the android apps at all. My music is all in flac form except for a few wav and dsd. One thing I did recently change was after losing all my files after an upgrade, I now have 100% of my music on the #1 slot removable card. Previously, all of the songs were on the internal drive. 260 gig worth on a recommended San Disk card that it supposed to be compatible with the unit. I've toyed with re-formatting the San Disk card but hate to do so because it's a gigantic pain in the ass to erase and then re-install all of this music. The card was originally formatted within the X5, by the way.

I trust you can agree that I'm not trying to do anything extreme or crazy with this player or to push it beyond normal expectations. I just want it to start up properly when I want to use it.

McHoop

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #13,247 of 15,897
@Powderphinger - this might help. After an upgrade, always go into Android settings and factory reset. It means you have to rescan your music (rebuild the database), and you'll also have to reinstall apps and set-up wi-fi etc. What it does though is reset things to a pristine state with the new firmware. I help test some of their FW releases before they go live, and its something FiiO always recommends we do. I've noticed the new firmware is a lot more stable doing this too.

The units are a bit slow booting - but I've generally found this true with practically every Android device I've had.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #13,248 of 15,897
@Powderphinger - this might help. After an upgrade, always go into Android settings and factory reset. It means you have to rescan your music (rebuild the database), and you'll also have to reinstall apps and set-up wi-fi etc. What it does though is reset things to a pristine state with the new firmware. I help test some of their FW releases before they go live, and its something FiiO always recommends we do. I've noticed the new firmware is a lot more stable doing this too.

The units are a bit slow booting - but I've generally found this true with practically every Android device I've had.

Appreciate the tip. I'll give it a try.

Powderphinger

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #13,249 of 15,897
I'm really scratching my head - why? You have no interest in the X5iii any more - why can't you leave those of us who do enjoy it in peace?
this is your assumption. i do have interest in fiio products as i've been using them for about 10 years, since first gen x3 was out. but as opposed to this, fiio doesn't seem to have same interest in our opinions and how to improve their products. because this is the goal of the criticism, not to denigrate fiio, as they do this very well by ignoring so many problems people write about. Have you noticed how their attitude shifted lately once they grew as a company? once, their ceo was very active and willing to talk to us, now there's just a generic helper user, not actually talking to much. and i bet he will be less active once the unit is out of production.
Also, common sense should tell you that everyone has the right to state their opinions about the product. they advertise it like "this" and "that" but it seems only "this" works, we shouldn't use it otherwise even though they sell it as such. i've repeating it, you've been doing the same on a positive note regarding x5. So i don't think there is much of a difference.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #13,250 of 15,897
I'm considering adding a portable amp to my X5iii, which I now use with V-Moda M80s, and will soon also have Massdrop HD6XX (hopefully).
(Am I correct that I have no need for a amp/dac, because I've already got the dac in my X5iii? I have no other source equipment that needs a dac.)

I'm looking at the Fiio A5 or A3. Is there a benefit to sticking with Fiio for the amp? Are their amps likely to pair better with their DAP?
The A5 is about 2x the price of the A3. But do I need the A5's extra power to drive the HD6XX?

Any other amps in this price range you'd suggest?

Thanks.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #13,251 of 15,897
I'm considering adding a portable amp to my X5iii, which I now use with V-Moda M80s, and will soon also have Massdrop HD6XX (hopefully).
(Am I correct that I have no need for a amp/dac, because I've already got the dac in my X5iii? I have no other source equipment that needs a dac.)

I'm looking at the Fiio A5 or A3. Is there a benefit to sticking with Fiio for the amp? Are their amps likely to pair better with their DAP?
The A5 is about 2x the price of the A3. But do I need the A5's extra power to drive the HD6XX?

Any other amps in this price range you'd suggest?

Thanks.
Aune B1S?

The A5 is worth the price over the A3 imo. It sounds quite a bit better to me.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #13,252 of 15,897
On another note, I've had my X5iii a little over a year now (I think). It's loaded with about 330 gb of music files (ALAC, AAC). I use Foobar, and I've got iSyncr on the device. Running Android 5.1.1. Build No. 1.1.7.(Is this the latest firmware.) X5_V7-20170724.

I noticed some consistent nits. It's fairly slow starting up. The functions buttons, especially play/pause, have a lot of lag time. At times, the wrong function initiates -- I press the sleep button, and the music pauses, or I press the skip forward and the music pauses or skips backward. And, using Foobar, when I first start up the app and play a song, it often pauses about 2 seconds in (as if I'd accidentally hit the pause button). They seem to be minor annoyances, not real concerns.

Are these common issues?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #13,253 of 15,897
On another note, I've had my X5iii a little over a year now (I think). It's loaded with about 330 gb of music files (ALAC, AAC). I use Foobar, and I've got iSyncr on the device. Running Android 5.1.1. Build No. 1.1.7.(Not sure why it's not updating automatically to the latest firmware.)

I noticed some consistent nits. It's fairly slow starting up. The functions buttons, especially play/pause, have a lot of lag time. At times, the wrong function initiates -- I press the sleep button, and the music pauses, or I press the skip forward and the music pauses or skips backward. And, using Foobar, when I first start up the app and play a song, it often pauses about 2 seconds in (as if I'd accidentally hit the pause button). They seem to be minor annoyances, not real concerns.

Are these common issues?
Define "fairly slow"

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #13,254 of 15,897
This is exactly what is wrong with this thread! RK3188 doesn't need "fairly slow" to be defined :wink:

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #13,255 of 15,897
Mine plays fine with 2 x 128 GB cards only thing that annoys me is going to a different card via file browser causes fiio pure music app to crash and restart. Apart from that it sounds and looks great and I'm happy with it

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #13,256 of 15,897
This is exactly what is wrong with this thread! RK3188 doesn't need "fairly slow" to be defined :wink:
I know it's a really old processor and a really crappy one by today's standards but having an exact value helps in making comparisons.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #13,257 of 15,897
I know it's a really old processor and a really crappy one by today's standards but having an exact value helps in making comparisons.
I think we should agree its slow but for whoever its working its working well. For people facing issues its salt on would when people brush aside their woes. I was happy with the X5 III when i had it but i had all those problems despite being happy with it.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #13,258 of 15,897
I think we should agree its slow but for whoever its working its working well. For people facing issues its salt on would when people brush aside their woes. I was happy with the X5 III when i had it but i had all those problems despite being happy with it.
Sounds like me with the N5ii :D

I prefer to try to solve the issue instead of just ranting about it though.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #13,259 of 15,897
can someone help me with bluetooth headphone issue. I have just downloaded the latest firmware on the x5iii. I did a factory reset first. I then repaired with my bluetooth headphones but they will not now connect with the x5iii and I cannot therefore listen to them. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back