Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #13,261 of 15,897
3-4 seconds. As I said, a minor annoyance, but most similar products (i.e, the many iPods I've had) are instantaneous.
Wait so are you talking about turning the screen on or booting the device?

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #13,262 of 15,897
i just did my unscientific test: Initial booting of the device is 42 seconds. Which is longer than I'd like, but possibly within other's expectations.
The 3-4 second delays I was referring to was for the play/pause button or skip track. It's often long enough that I hit pause, nothing happens, I hit pause again, and it then pauses and plays.
Again, a minor annoyance, but a consistent annoyance.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #13,263 of 15,897
i just did my unscientific test: Initial booting of the device is 42 seconds. Which is longer than I'd like, but possibly within other's expectations.
The 3-4 second delays I was referring to was for the play/pause button or skip track. It's often long enough that I hit pause, nothing happens, I hit pause again, and it then pauses and plays.
Again, a minor annoyance, but a consistent annoyance.
The boot time is acceptable but the play pause delay seems odd. I don't remember having that issue when I Demoed the X5iii

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #13,264 of 15,897
i have, i pause the music. after a while it's like going to some sleep mode, because clicking or tapping play again doesn't work or i have to wait many seconds.

can someone help me with bluetooth headphone issue. I have just downloaded the latest firmware on the x5iii. I did a factory reset first. I then repaired with my bluetooth headphones but they will not now connect with the x5iii and I cannot therefore listen to them. Any ideas?

my x5iii doesn't detect Sony x1000 headphones while an old lg g3 immediately does.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #13,265 of 15,897
i have, i pause the music. after a while it's like going to some sleep mode, because clicking or tapping play again doesn't work or i have to wait many seconds.

my x5iii doesn't detect Sony x1000 headphones while an old lg g3 immediately does.

my x5iii detects and pairs with the headphones but will not connect. Until the firmware update I had no such issue.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #13,266 of 15,897
I thought it was an apt reply to someone stating this .......

All I'm doing is stating an alternative view as someone who uses my unit practically every day, plays music, uses it as a DAC quite often, regularly uses EQ, often uses Neutron, and generally does use a lot of the features including Bluetooth.

If it comes across as rude or condescending (and it wasn't intended), its simply because I'm getting a little tired of the generalisations that the X5iii is a bug riddled mess, that FiiO doesn't care, and that the unit is basically unusable - unless your someone "who just plays music". Is it funny that my answer is considered rude or condescending, yet the statement I answered wasn't.

Hi Brooko, what are the pro's/ con's of Neutron 'v' Fiio Music Player? At present, I just rip my CD's to FLAC using Media Monkey but I currently do not use it on or sync with either x5iii or X7ii. Would you say Neutron is the best music app for pc+Fiio? If so, maybe I could ditch MM Gold & buy Neutron.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #13,267 of 15,897
Hi Brooko, what are the pro's/ con's of Neutron 'v' Fiio Music Player? At present, I just rip my CD's to FLAC using Media Monkey but I currently do not use it on or sync with either x5iii or X7ii. Would you say Neutron is the best music app for pc+Fiio? If so, maybe I could ditch MM Gold & buy Neutron.

Neutron is more for users who want to get right into tweaking various aspects. the user interface is not the most minimal, or clean, but it works pretty darn well once you get used to it. Advantages over Pure Music (IMO anyway) include:
- better and more stable interfacing with USB DAC/amps
- working replay gain
- parametric equaliser (takes a bit of getting used to - but works really well)
- included DSPs like crossfeed, surround sound and being able to control tempo and pitch
- controls regarding hardware
- works with my headphone (on cable / headset controls) - including HD630VB

I'd guess a lot of people may find the actual interface and a lot of the options a little confusing - but once you get to know it, its a really nice audio toolbox.

Its a bit laggy - but thats the X5iii SoC, processor and RAM more than Neutron.

Could it be better - yes. But for what I can do with the app and the X5iii, I guess I'm a little more patient than some. Mind you I grew up with DAPs having extremely simplistic UNIX based GUIs, so I may have a different view on how far things have come vs how they compare to latest tech now :wink:

Neutron is essentially a Pure Music replacement rather than media management tool.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #13,268 of 15,897
Neutron is more for users who want to get right into tweaking various aspects. the user interface is not the most minimal, or clean, but it works pretty darn well once you get used to it. Advantages over Pure Music (IMO anyway) include:
- better and more stable interfacing with USB DAC/amps
- working replay gain
- parametric equaliser (takes a bit of getting used to - but works really well)
- included DSPs like crossfeed, surround sound and being able to control tempo and pitch
- controls regarding hardware
- works with my headphone (on cable / headset controls) - including HD630VB

I'd guess a lot of people may find the actual interface and a lot of the options a little confusing - but once you get to know it, its a really nice audio toolbox.

Its a bit laggy - but thats the X5iii SoC, processor and RAM more than Neutron.

Could it be better - yes. But for what I can do with the app and the X5iii, I guess I'm a little more patient than some. Mind you I grew up with DAPs having extremely simplistic UNIX based GUIs, so I may have a different view on how far things have come vs how they compare to latest tech now :wink:

Neutron is essentially a Pure Music replacement rather than media management tool.
How much smoother/faster is the X7ii compared to the X5iii. How much does the 1gb extra ram help?

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #13,269 of 15,897
How much smoother/faster is the X7ii compared to the X5iii. How much does the 1gb extra ram help?

It's pretty small difference, but it is noticeable. I'd say the X7ii (used side-by-side) with same tracks etc might be 0.5 sec quicker, and with something like scrolling can be slightly smoother. I would suggest anyone not happy with the X5iii performance - swipe down to get to Android Settings, and perform a Factory Data Reset. It gets rid of any left over cruft from previous upgrades, and definitely (IMO) aids stability. I always do it after every upgrade.

Apr 26, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #13,270 of 15,897
can someone help me with bluetooth headphone issue. I have just downloaded the latest firmware on the x5iii. I did a factory reset first. I then repaired with my bluetooth headphones but they will not now connect with the x5iii and I cannot therefore listen to them. Any ideas?
Dear friend,

Please check whether your Bluetooth headphone is in the pairing mode first?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #13,271 of 15,897
It's pretty small difference, but it is noticeable. I'd say the X7ii (used side-by-side) with same tracks etc might be 0.5 sec quicker, and with something like scrolling can be slightly smoother. I would suggest anyone not happy with the X5iii performance - swipe down to get to Android Settings, and perform a Factory Data Reset. It gets rid of any left over cruft from previous upgrades, and definitely (IMO) aids stability. I always do it after every upgrade.
I use the x5 3rd daily, on a rooted modified Rom... the user experience is far better.. / the neutron is faster, fluider then USBAp, or fiiio Music ap/ but i considered to buy the x7 II and sell my x5 even when i like the warm sound of this Dap... when is the x7 mk2 +- the same in terms of speed, wifi speed, ui response .....i dont know.... the hiby r6 with additional taxes, dutys - it will be more expensive then the x7 2 in my country... and the combo smartphone and the Fiio Q5? IS the q5 closer to the x5 or x7 2? or a combination x5 3rd gen + the Fiio Q5? anyone with experience? or with the q5 vs fiio x5 3rd?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #13,272 of 15,897
Depends on the amp module you use with the X7ii / Q5. To me the amp module colours the sound more than the DAC.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #13,273 of 15,897
I use the x5 3rd daily, on a rooted modified Rom... the user experience is far better.. / the neutron is faster, fluider then USBAp, or fiiio Music ap/ but i considered to buy the x7 II and sell my x5 even when i like the warm sound of this Dap... when is the x7 mk2 +- the same in terms of speed, wifi speed, ui response .....i dont know.... the hiby r6 with additional taxes, dutys - it will be more expensive then the x7 2 in my country... and the combo smartphone and the Fiio Q5? IS the q5 closer to the x5 or x7 2? or a combination x5 3rd gen + the Fiio Q5? anyone with experience? or with the q5 vs fiio x5 3rd?
I forgot who exactly but I do remember a reviewer saying that he could not tell the difference between the X7ii and the Q5 when both are using the same amp module.

You won't get any sonical difference between phone+Q5 and X5iii+Q5 by the way

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #13,274 of 15,897
Cleaning the X5III touchscreen:

What is the best way to clean the screen? I mean I occasionally use a soft cloth to wipe off the fingerprints but is there a safe way to use some sort of screen cleaner or eye glass cleaner to remove the fingerprint oils? I know there is a screen protector of some type on it and I wouldn't want even a mild solvent to damage that. Maybe just some distilled water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back