Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #13,231 of 15,897
through the fido x5iii? My fibre optic speed in the house is quite quick
That's great. That way you should be able to take the max speed of the X5iii's WiFi.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #13,232 of 15,897
Fixed that for you ^^

FYI - I'm what many people would consider a power user. I can just about guarantee I've had the unit longer than most users too...

Wow, that reads as much more rude and condescending than you probably intended.

So does this unit:
-Remember what part of a track I left off with when turning the device off? Meaning if I'm in minute 24 out of a 50 min track....will it remember the next time I power up?
-Does this play seamless/gapless tracks through an album? Is Dark Side of the Moon going to get butchered with little blips between each track?
-How does it perform with Bluetooth? Not do or die but I would really love to pair this with my Toyota

Thanks much for your help!

I'd say yes to all three but with some minor caveats:

The last time I enabled resume the device was stuck on the same song that it would repeat upon resume regardless of whichever song was actually playing before the device was powered down. This proved so annoying that I haven't bothered with resume since.

@FiiO broke gapless with an update issued some time ago and subsequent updates have improved things it's still not 100%.

I biked almost 20 miles across Brooklyn today with the x5iii paired to a Bose Micro Soundlink bluetooth speaker and I experienced a few app crashes and failures to resume after being paused for a few minutes. Regularly I experience stutters between songs and there is often a few second delay between key presses and device response. I also regularly experience app hangs and delayed unpauses that only smooth out if I turn the screen on. Generally, the bluetooth experience isn't as smooth as wired listening.

This reminds me, I ought to ride more often with the device in Pure Music mode.

I'm on my second x5iii after some car thieves helped themselves to my first a few months back and I wouldn't have bought another were I not a mostly happy camper. That said, there are times when the hangs, crashes and just generally janky software spoils the experience. I expect you'll be happy with your purchase but you should know that it won't be all smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #13,233 of 15,897
Wow, that reads as much more rude and condescending than you probably intended.

I thought it was an apt reply to someone stating this .......

unfortunately the norm is buggy software. most of people just play music and that's it. the unit does much more. but in a faulty manner.

All I'm doing is stating an alternative view as someone who uses my unit practically every day, plays music, uses it as a DAC quite often, regularly uses EQ, often uses Neutron, and generally does use a lot of the features including Bluetooth.

If it comes across as rude or condescending (and it wasn't intended), its simply because I'm getting a little tired of the generalisations that the X5iii is a bug riddled mess, that FiiO doesn't care, and that the unit is basically unusable - unless your someone "who just plays music". Is it funny that my answer is considered rude or condescending, yet the statement I answered wasn't.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #13,234 of 15,897
you know in most serious forums, quoting someone like this, that is changing what i said, is against the rules. but whatever, you're always right...right?

Please state said rule - I didn't change your post (I can't), I merely fixed what i thought were some obvious errors in what you stated:
  1. You inferred the software was incredibly buggy for everyone
  2. You inferred if it wasn't buggy - its because I must be a user "who just listens to music"
And I'm not always right - but I do like to be able to state my own opinion, and in this particular thread (lately) it runs counter to yours. Evidently that is wrong of me (although funnily I can't find that rule in the forum rule book either - and yes that is sarcasm).

What I find interesting is that if its as bad as you say, why haven't you sold it and moved on to something else?

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #13,235 of 15,897
What I find interesting is that if its as bad as you say, why haven't you sold it and moved on to something else?
+1000

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #13,236 of 15,897
Try running an Internet speed test.

Network speeds seem generally slow on the X5iii. I've tried with a USB ethernet adapter which gives me decent speeds on other Android phones/tablets but still leaves downloads on the X5iii slow and not much different to the speeds with WiFi.

My guess is that the bottleneck is elsewhere and not the WiFi adapter.

With that said I've not had any issues with streaming and if I do want to download I leave it on charge and download overnight.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #13,237 of 15,897
it's not your internet connection but wifi capabilities on x5, move 2-3m away of your rooter and the speed with decrease a lot. i was able to download stuff quick enough by letting x5 next to the rooter. otherwise nothing is properly transferred speedwise. this doesn't happen with my phones and laptop.

Please state said rule - I didn't change your post (I can't), I merely fixed what i thought were some obvious errors in what you stated:
  1. You inferred the software was incredibly buggy for everyone
  2. You inferred if it wasn't buggy - its because I must be a user "who just listens to music"
And I'm not always right - but I do like to be able to state my own opinion, and in this particular thread (lately) it runs counter to yours. Evidently that is wrong of me (although funnily I can't find that rule in the forum rule book either - and yes that is sarcasm).
that's right, you "fixed" the quote which is forbidden for example on the biggest forum in my country precisely for the reason you used it, to deform the meaning of my statement, of the original message.
i already said a few times, i moved to lg v20 which is faster, better wifi, screen, android, and so on, i like the sound more then on x5, not that it is better, i just like it. and i am selling x5iii.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #13,238 of 15,897
As someone who just gotten to use the dap for the past couple of weeks, so far the experience has been positive. It definitely ain't the smoothest and most lag-free free navigation compared to newer smartphone (using phones as a comparison because most people will use that as a comparison given the Andriod interface). But first and foremost we should see the dap purely as an Andriod device.

It's a music player, with the added functionality and flexibility of Andriod. If we look at it purely for the pure music mode, there's little to complain.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #13,239 of 15,897
who uses my unit practically every day, plays music, uses it as a DAC quite often, regularly uses EQ, often uses Neutron,
Me to, use the x5iii every day, i use the fillo music for folders play (bugs...) and gonmad and neutron-all work fine, sound great.
Cant play podcasts or audiobooks because it must be reboot after a song... cant play them one after one

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #13,240 of 15,897
It's a music player, with the added functionality and flexibility of Andriod. If we look at it purely for the pure music mode, there's little to complain.

true, but the other side of the story is that you pay for "smart" hardware and software which you don't use. it event says on their page: "any third party apps...", "versatility"...
upload_2018-4-25_12-36-20.png

So where is the truth: is it a music player for which one pays a lot? or an android device having many glitches? how is the user suppose to be versatile if "their needs" are not fulfilled?
Oh...and now i realize, they say the sound on pure music mode is "purer"...how about this... they even say pure music mode has "smoother operation", hence android mode is not that smooth...which is kind of an understatement given the lag and all other issues.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #13,241 of 15,897
that's right, you "fixed" the quote which is forbidden for example on the biggest forum from my country precisely for the reason you used it, to deform the meaning of my statement, of the original message.
i already said a few times, i moved to lg v20 which is faster, better wifi, screen, android, and so on, i like the sound more then on x5, not that it is better, i just like it. and i am selling x5iii.

So I’d suggest not quoting other forum rules and applying them here :)

Enjoy your LG V20. It’s supposed to be a pretty good smart phone.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #13,242 of 15,897
true, but the other side of the story is that you pay for "smart" hardware and software which you don't use. it event says on their page: "any third party apps...", "versatility"...

So where is the truth: is it a music player for which one pays a lot? or an android device having many glitches? how is the user suppose to be versatile if "their needs" are not fulfilled?
Oh...and now i realize, they say the sound on pure music mode is "purer"...how about this... they even say pure music mode has "smoother operation", hence android mode is not that smooth...which is kind of an understatement given the lag and all other issues.

I bought the X5iii for its streaming capabilities and for offline Spotify as well as for the Pure Music mode. So far I've had no real issues with music or podcast apps other than the interface can be a little slow but with a few tweaks in the settings it isn't unbearably slow.

The X5iii certainly has a limited use but seems to work with music apps which for a DAP doesn't seem unreasonable. I would probably end up throwing it out of the window trying to do anything else with it but then I remember that it wasn't that long ago that I was using a device with this sort of power/speed as my everyday smartphone, we've just become accustomed to more.

When it first arrived I was tempted to return it but then I reminded myself of its primary purpose.

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #13,243 of 15,897
I bought the X5iii for its streaming capabilities and for offline Spotify as well as for the Pure Music mode. So far I've had no real issues with music or podcast apps other than the interface can be a little slow but with a few tweaks in the settings it isn't unbearably slow.

The X5iii certainly has a limited use but seems to work with music apps which for a DAP doesn't seem unreasonable. I would probably end up throwing it out of the window trying to do anything else with it but then I remember that it wasn't that long ago that I was using a device with this sort of power/speed as my everyday smartphone, we've just become accustomed to more.

When it first arrived I was tempted to return it but then I reminded myself of its primary purpose.
I would concur with you, we should look at what we want primarily out from this player, and whether it delivers.

If the core need is to have a capable dap, and the streaming is secondary, I would say the fiio delivers, albeit with some software hiccups. If your core needs is to have a smooth streaming and little to no lag in navigation, then this fiio might not fully fit the bill.

Of course if you want best of both worlds, you would likely need to pay the price (quite literally) .

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #13,245 of 15,897
Lets see if I can follow the logic. Bought a DAP (with an Android interface). Despite the money being spent primarily on the hardware (DAC chip, amplification stage, dual cards etc), expected best of all worlds - ie on par with modern smartphone features, and then angry/disappointed that it doesn't meet your needs.

Gets on the forum and vents (fair enough). Buys modern smartphone and find it fits needs. Talks about selling said DAP.

Continually now gets on to the thread about the DAP (which is going to be sold), and continually sounds off about its failings. Continues to do so (repeating same things over and over, week after week). And yet could instead go on the LG V20 thread and join discussion there. Or one of the music forums/threads, or something you're actually interested in.

I'm really scratching my head - why? You have no interest in the X5iii any more - why can't you leave those of us who do enjoy it in peace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back