Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #13,216 of 15,897
Of course it is, but it's still a truism.
To one person it's not good value, to another is it. It's value is still determined by the buyer and of course that is subjective.

Everyone has different levels of acceptance. Ultimately if the buyer is happy with the price and the goods are acceptable, then its value is acceptable.

To me the price here is fine so my subjective valuation is acceptable to me, experience and knowledge makes little difference. To another the unit is overpriced or underpriced altering the value in their eyes, but only their eyes.

Objectivity is based on neutrality, prejudice or bias, not value based on subjective valuation.

That's sort of subjective though. An item that's overpriced may seem like a good deal to an inexperienced buyer but objectively it's not a good deal.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #13,217 of 15,897
I really do hope things work out better for you than they have for me. Love the hardware and sound...... when I can get it to start up and play. It's like Russian roulette every time; especially after it has set for awhile. Nothing more frustrating than to be ready to do some mundane chore and want to listen to music but having to sit down and fiddle, coax, cuss, fiddle some more and finally after about 5-10 minutes, get it to start up, load and respond.

Powderphinger
What do you mean?

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #13,219 of 15,897
Mine arrived today with the Audio-technica MSR7 included. The player looks really nice. Downloading songs on to Spotify now...

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #13,220 of 15,897
What do you mean?

I've owned the X5 for about a year. Ownership started off well enough. However, it seems as though the more firmware upgrades that were offered up, the buggier the software got. When I upgraded to firmware version 1.2 things really went bad. Starting the unit is very problematic. Often, it will boot up but when I go into the FIIO music player and attempt to scroll through my music(album view) the device will freeze up. If I attempt to hit the "back"
button the screen will go black. If I simply hit "reboot", the unit will cycle endlessly until I do a hard reboot. I've also noticed with version 1.2 that I get more occasions of music suddenly stopping and requiring a reboot.

I've tried the suggestions offered up here and on the FIIO site; to no avail. Finally, I decided to try the Fidelizer "Ehanced" ROM upgrade by WindowsX to see if his software would make this device more stable and dependable. I installed it over the weekend. Initially, things were great. However, after about two days, start ups have again proven to be problematic. Something odd about the unit's behavior recently (with the Fidelizer) is start up seems to take longer and occasionally, a small window appears in the screen that advises "Android Apps Optimizing" and goes through numbers 1-33. It will finally boot up and sometimes work properly; sometimes not.

If, and I repeat if, the unit gets started, it works pretty well and sounds great to my tin ears. I've noticed another poster on this site who experiences the same thing but appears to be content to fuss with the start up issues. Given the money we have paid for the device, I'm not willing to accept that a new DAP should cause one to feel like pulling their hair out. FIIO's slogan of "Music & Happy" is a wicked, killing joke. End of rant.

If I may presume to give Brick42 any bit of advice it would be to NOT install the latest firmware and to stick with a prior version. I recall I read some people prefer 1.7

Powderphinger

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #13,221 of 15,897
Ever thought your unit might be an outlier - rather than the norm. I have not experienced any of the issues you are describing.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #13,222 of 15,897
Mine required a 30 second press of the power button to remember how to turn on today. That doesn't happen very often but it does happen. The blue light is on in the center of the power button and nothing else happens. Then I do the hold down the button forever thing and it finally starts up again. It's not perfect but I loves it just the same.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #13,223 of 15,897
I've owned the X5 for about a year. Ownership started off well enough. However, it seems as though the more firmware upgrades that were offered up, the buggier the software got. When I upgraded to firmware version 1.2 things really went bad. Starting the unit is very problematic. Often, it will boot up but when I go into the FIIO music player and attempt to scroll through my music(album view) the device will freeze up. If I attempt to hit the "back"
button the screen will go black. If I simply hit "reboot", the unit will cycle endlessly until I do a hard reboot. I've also noticed with version 1.2 that I get more occasions of music suddenly stopping and requiring a reboot.

I've tried the suggestions offered up here and on the FIIO site; to no avail. Finally, I decided to try the Fidelizer "Ehanced" ROM upgrade by WindowsX to see if his software would make this device more stable and dependable. I installed it over the weekend. Initially, things were great. However, after about two days, start ups have again proven to be problematic. Something odd about the unit's behavior recently (with the Fidelizer) is start up seems to take longer and occasionally, a small window appears in the screen that advises "Android Apps Optimizing" and goes through numbers 1-33. It will finally boot up and sometimes work properly; sometimes not.

If, and I repeat if, the unit gets started, it works pretty well and sounds great to my tin ears. I've noticed another poster on this site who experiences the same thing but appears to be content to fuss with the start up issues. Given the money we have paid for the device, I'm not willing to accept that a new DAP should cause one to feel like pulling their hair out. FIIO's slogan of "Music & Happy" is a wicked, killing joke. End of rant.

If I may presume to give Brick42 any bit of advice it would be to NOT install the latest firmware and to stick with a prior version. I recall I read some people prefer 1.7

Powderphinger

Have you tried booting into Recovery and clearing the Cache, I noticed that this seemed to speed up the boot time. I clear the cache every few days, I think that this is an issue with Android 5.x and low powered devices.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #13,224 of 15,897
Have you tried booting into Recovery and clearing the Cache, I noticed that this seemed to speed up the boot time. I clear the cache every few days, I think that this is an issue with Android 5.x and low powered devices.
I'd go a step further and completely wipe everything clean and reinstall fresh system. I did this 6 months or so ago and no problems since then, other than the crappy sorting issues that I will mention every chance I get. I don't remember the step by step but I'm sure someone else can point you in the direction. If that doesn't work I'd probably drop it off a tall building and move on.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #13,226 of 15,897
unfortunately my norm is buggy software. most people (IMO) just play music and that's it. my unit does much more. but in a faulty manner.

Fixed that for you ^^

FYI - I'm what many people would consider a power user. I can just about guarantee I've had the unit longer than most users too. Its not perfect (IMO no player is), and its missing a couple of features I'd really like (mainly replay gain). But I don't get the same glitches you seem to in day to day use. I really don't.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #13,228 of 15,897
well the sound quality is very nice, but very slow internet speed on it. Took ages to download songs to spotify! The sound with the audio technica's that came with them is really good though

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #13,229 of 15,897
well the sound quality is very nice, but very slow internet speed on it. Took ages to download songs to spotify! The sound with the audio technica's that came with them is really good though
Try running an Internet speed test.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #13,230 of 15,897

Users who are viewing this thread

Back