Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 21, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #12,797 of 15,897
reading previous page makes me expect that x5iii down-samples on streaming apps otherwise i don't get it why the sound is better when using it as usb dac. either this or the sound comes thru a different hardware path which is not likely.
anyway, if someone has a technical explanation, please tell us, why i get better sound (overall quality not volume) on usb dac vs dap mode? it happens with fiio x3 1st gen also, one of their first daps if not the first.

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #12,798 of 15,897
Likely to be different masterings

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #12,799 of 15,897
reading previous page makes me expect that x5iii down-samples on streaming apps otherwise i don't get it why the sound is better when using it as usb dac. either this or the sound comes thru a different hardware path which is not likely.
anyway, if someone has a technical explanation, please tell us, why i get better sound (overall quality not volume) on usb dac vs dap mode? it happens with fiio x3 1st gen also, one of their first daps if not the first.
As far as I'm aware it's all down to the app, if the app has been written with support for direct audio on a Fiio X5iii then it will do direct audio (bypassing the android resampling). If the app hasn't been written with Fiio X5iii direct audio support then it won't do it.
Fiio app obviously has been and a couple of the popular players have been updated with support.

There has been some technical chat about what needs to be added, main trick I think was sending the audio as 32bit (not 24bit).

Feb 21, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #12,800 of 15,897
As far as I'm aware it's all down to the app, if the app has been written with support for direct audio on a Fiio X5iii then it will do direct audio (bypassing the android resampling). If the app hasn't been written with Fiio X5iii direct audio support then it won't do it.
Fiio app obviously has been and a couple of the popular players have been updated with support.

There has been some technical chat about what needs to be added, main trick I think was sending the audio as 32bit (not 24bit).
Is there a list of these apps which do direct audio? I'm sure it would be useful to many.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #12,801 of 15,897
Hi @FiiO

Just wondering is it possible to implement the large album artwork currently inplace for Albuns Tab under the tab Artist->Albuns?

Thanks

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #12,802 of 15,897
Hi @FiiO

Just wondering is it possible to implement the large album artwork currently inplace for Albuns Tab under the tab Artist->Albuns?

Thanks
I agree with this request. The number of characters under an album may be enough for Chinese letters but not for otherwise. Each album and artist listed below the image is truncated. Having an option to make the view back to the list previously used and another to make a 2 column album art view would overcome this usability issue.

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #12,803 of 15,897
I agree with this request. The number of characters under an album may be enough for Chinese letters but not for otherwise. Each album and artist listed below the image is truncated. Having an option to make the view back to the list previously used and another to make a 2 column album art view would overcome this usability issue.

Hi @markrich

My request is just the opposite, is to add the option of big album art under the tab artists->albums;
If i'm understanding correctly your issue can be solves since under the Albuns tab you can select to revert the visualization to the "list" version previously implemented; you have to click on the ... button and then on the first one to revert to list view instead of big album art :)

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #12,804 of 15,897
Hi @markrich

My request is just the opposite, is to add the option of big album art under the tab artists->albums;
If i'm understanding correctly your issue can be solves since under the Albuns tab you can select to revert the visualization to the "list" version previously implemented; you have to click on the ... button and then on the first one to revert to list view instead of big album art :)
I did not know that. It's now back where it's usable :) Thank you.
Still stand by the option to have two column view though. Nice to have :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #12,807 of 15,897
i was wondering if at all ,will there be a fix the slight pop noise that happens between tracks recorded at different bit rates, is the x7ii also having the same issue

sound quality is simply amazing

knowing its android is a huge plus as we get to install our fav players

its a great dap, wish for x5 iv edition to have more ram, and stay with ak dacs as those dacs sound amazing better than daps with sabre that I tired

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #12,808 of 15,897
What's the current status on the usability of the X5iii as it relates to the buggy native player (app)? Any major improvements to the firmware? (Last time I checked was December.)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #12,810 of 15,897
i was wondering if at all ,will there be a fix the slight pop noise that happens between tracks recorded at different bit rates, is the x7ii also having the same issue

sound quality is simply amazing

knowing its android is a huge plus as we get to install our fav players

its a great dap, wish for x5 iv edition to have more ram, and stay with ak dacs as those dacs sound amazing better than daps with sabre that I tired
I think the problem lies more with the slow processor instead of the amount of ram. More ram only helps if the device is seriously starved of ram. This is considering that budget android phones run smoothly with 1gb of ram but have a much faster processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back