Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 4, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #3,916 of 15,899
  I just hooked up my Mojo to the X5iii via a Dyson cable and at first I thought, oh crap, the Mojo blows away the sound of the X5iii alone. (I think the Mojo volume was up a bit more than the X5iii) When I switched back to the X5iii via the headphone out it didn't seem like a step backwards at all. I will try this some more but right now I am enjoying the X5iii with the Mojo off and set aside.

Tonality wise it isn't a huge difference between the X5-3 and Mojo. The X5-3 is a little warmer with a bit more lower mid range presence and bigger bass as well. The differences are mostly in the nuances like transients, timbre and depth/stage. I have a track that has rain and a babbling brook in it and on the Mojo it sounds unquestionably like rain hitting rocks with the brook sounding like rushing water. On the X5-3 the rain sounds more like sizzling bacon and the brook more like white noise (not exactly, but more so). Translate these subtleties to guitar strings and cymbal hits and you get more detail and naturalness from the Mojo.

The X5-3 isn't bad, but not quite on the same level, IMO, to my ears, YMMV, yadda yadda...

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,917 of 15,899
Tonality wise it isn't a huge difference between the X5-3 and Mojo. The X5-3 is a little warmer with a bit more lower mid range presence and bigger bass as well. The differences are mostly in the nuances like transients, timbre and depth/stage. I have a track that has rain and a babbling brook in it and on the Mojo it sounds unquestionably like rain hitting rocks with the brook sounding like rushing water. On the X5-3 the rain sounds more like sizzling bacon and the brook more like white noise (not exactly, but more so). Translate these subtleties to guitar strings and cymbal hits and you get more detail and naturalness from the Mojo.

The X5-3 isn't bad, but not quite on the same level, IMO, to my ears, YMMV, yadda yadda...
Bacon is way better than rain.

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #3,918 of 15,899
Mar 4, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,920 of 15,899

Sorry, no.

Depends if I am hungry or relaxing

I know you must have damaged eyes from rolling them everytime every new unit is deemed comparable or in recent cases better than mojo. I laugh and cringe myself. Hype trains rolling out the station all the time lately.

I do think folks that like smooth with detail and the Mojo but want a screen and can sacrifice a tad of uberness in detail many ears cannot hear (due to age or damage to ears) ...will like this piece of kit

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #3,921 of 15,899

Sorry, no.

Depends if I am hungry or relaxing

I know you must have damaged eyes from rolling them everytime every new unit is deemed comparable or in recent cases better than mojo. I laugh and cringe myself. Hype trains rolling out the station all the time lately.

I do think folks that like smooth with detail and the Mojo but want a screen and can sacrifice a tad of uberness in detail many ears cannot hear (due to age or damage to ears) ...will like this piece of kit

A very fair assessment IMO

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,922 of 15,899

I got my X5II yesterday , I just got to play with it a bit. Still getting used to the interface. I was just listening with my OPPO PM-3, I like it, but have not gotten to any level of serious analysis, but I do like what I am hearing so far!

I do have a question though. With  the X5II I could randomly shuffle all songs which is a mode I use quite a bit. I can't figure out how to do that with the III. It shuffles, but seemingly only within an album.

I would like a random shuffle across all songs on both of the memory cards. Can anyone tell if this is possible and if it is, how I do it?

Thanks...

It is also my preferred way to listen, play all randomly. I had no trouble getting my new X5iii do this. I found my way to where it listed all songs in alphabetical order. I selected a song and hit play. Then I found the play mode toggle and set it to random. It works fine although right now I just have one 200gb memory card in. Later this week I'll add the second. I wish I could tell you step by step what to do but I can't. It was easy enough. On a cellphone running USB Audio Player Pro it took me a lot longer to figure out. It was pretty easy on the X3 and X5 first gen versions.

Yes.. my problem is to get to the point where it lists ALL songs.
I thought I had it at one point, then I changed some settings to look at folders.. then albums.. could never get back to the all songs list..
???

When I made this change, it decided to only shuffle the songs in that folder or album...

Operator error I am sure, and unfamiliarity with the UI...
How did you get to "all' songs" ??

Yes I got it down on my X5 and X5II quite easily..

Thanks for the reply!!

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #3,923 of 15,899

Oh, I don't roll my eyes at all.... I'm just too active on Head Fi and I happen to have some experience with both units. I can completely understand why someone would like the X5-3. I like it. I can also completely understand why some don't like the X5-3, or the Mojo for that matter. In the end I was trying to describe the subtle differences I hear in tonality and technicalities to try and help others with my findings.

:beerchug:

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,924 of 15,899
Dear Laurent,

1. What's the brand of your 64G card? It fails to work even you plug it in again?
2. For the DLNA issue you mentioned, we will ask the engineers for more information and tell you later.
3. Added option to auto-match/manually search for lyrics & album art (the auto-match function can be enabled in FiiO Music->Settings->Auto-match lyrics & album art; and to manually search, you can directly click on the lyrics screen if there're no lyrics available or click the Functions icon at the lower right of the lyrics screen then select search);
[COLOR=000000]Notes regarding the Auto-match/manually search for lyrics & album art:[/color]

[COLOR=000000]a) The lyrics and album art files will be downloaded to the same directory of the corresponding song by default.[/color]

[COLOR=000000]b) FiiO Music will only automatically download the lyrics or album art if there's no lyrics or album art found.[/color]

[COLOR=000000]c) Currently the lyrics and album art are searched by the track title and album name. So if the track's title or album name has got prefix/suffix (such as "01", "Bonus", "Deluxe version"), you need to manually remove these characters before searching.[/color]

[COLOR=000000]d) If the downloaded lyrics or album art is incorrect, you can have it removed then re-download (click the Functions icon at the lower right of the lyrics screen then select the corresponding option).[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Best regards[/color]

Thanks for your quick reply.
I don't see the icon in the lyrics nor the auto match option in settings.

I have therefore doubt I have the latest firmware and music last version:
Firmware but when I click on system updates it says my system is up-to-date and same in fiio music app (version is c3. 0.12)

Using dlna I also noticed when you click on an album the list of titles is positioned at the end which is not really nice (I need to scroll up to the first title each time).
If I lose WiFi signal during a file is played music app crashes.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,925 of 15,899
 Great product. I just received it.  Looking forward to posting impressions when I do some listening.

Am I understanding right that playing DSD files through larger balanced headphones will not allow control of volume.  Its somewhat a shame since straight in line out to Audeze LCD 2 sound very nice except sound is louder than I want.  Is there an adapter from line out that will allow me volume control. Fiio x5 gen3 line out to Audeze LCD 2 via headphone jack to mini coax cables to phones? Maybe there is some other idea someone can offer to make this work.  My Bowers and Wilkes P7s through bluetooth paired with Fiio X5 3rd gen is much better than I thought it would be.  I do find it somewhat smeared with narrow soundstage.  

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #3,926 of 15,899
   Great product. I just received it.  Looking forward to posting impressions when I do some listening.

Am I understanding right that playing DSD files through larger balanced headphones will not allow control of volume.  Its somewhat a shame since straight in line out to Audeze LCD 2 sound very nice except sound is louder than I want.  Is there an adapter from line out that will allow me volume control. Fiio x5 gen3 line out to Audeze LCD 2 via headphone jack to mini coax cables to phones? Maybe there is some other idea someone can offer to make this work.  My Bowers and Wilkes P7s through bluetooth paired with Fiio X5 3rd gen is much better than I thought it would be.  I do find it somewhat smeared with narrow soundstage.  

Why are you using the line-out and complicating things? Of course the X5-3 will be able to control the volume with DSD playback using either headphone output. You don't want to drive headphones using the line-out, and you certainly don't want to use the digital coaxial adapter for an analogue signal.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #3,927 of 15,899
Why are you using the line-out and complicating things? Of course the X5-3 will be able to control the volume with DSD playback using either headphone output. You don't want to drive headphones using the line-out, and you certainly don't want to use the digital coaxial adapter for an analogue signal.

lol. The ridiculous things people do while riding high on a stallion of confusion.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,930 of 15,899

The device that allows you to control volume from the line out is called an amp.  It is also the purpose of the line out jack... connecting to an amp.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back