Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 13, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,521 of 15,899
I did one more listening test, this time much longer exposure time (30 mins) and involving some other family members. 
Switched one headphones after another, tested all of my listed headphones, plus two unlisted. In the end, no one could tell the difference between Clip+, X3II or X5II me included. The only differences are what I already mentioned before.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,522 of 15,899

That is such a specific thing! I honestly don't have any idea in this world and I would have to test it 
biggrin.gif

There must be at least one app that does that, or at least one that lets you script this 
wink.gif

Every iPod did it, that's why it's kinda funny it is so hard to find a player or app that does the same.
But thanks if you want to have a look. No hurry ofc.!

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,523 of 15,899
So, here is my initial impressions video, based on recently released FW 1.1

Warning, strong ukrainian accent is present, sorry.
Please note, it's an initial impressions only, not a full review, as I need much more time for final opinion. But actually, X5-3 looks pretty solid anyway.

I find your accent pretty fun to listen to though! Romania being close to Ukraine, some people also have a kinda similar accent when trying to talk English 
biggrin.gif
 I am learning Russian as well (also Japanese)

Very nice overview! 

You seem to be enthused by this DAP 
cool.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,524 of 15,899
As a rather puristic audiophile with an arsenal of two Clip+, three Clip Zip and two Clip Sport I can tell you with certainty that I do hear differences between all of them (the Clip+ now being the least liked of the bunch solely from its sonic signature) and particularly to my three FiiO players X5, X3 II and X5 II (all of them, particularly the latter, offering a fuller, cleaner and more musical bass and higher resolution throughout the frequency spectrum).

There was I time when I couldn't live without the Clip+ and avoided all other players (because I liked its sound more than others'!), but that's many years ago. Meanwhile I'm spoiled by the sound quality of a Chord DAVE – and forgive me that I refuse to do a direct comparison to the Clip+.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,525 of 15,899

It's one thing to share your own impressions and maybe your audio philosophy, but something else to preach your belief as absolute truth – and that's exactly what a forum like this doesn't want and isn't made for. Also, it doesn't help for gaining sympathy – as you in fact state that people who believe to hear differences between different electronics devices are idiots.

As a rather puristic audiophile with an arsenal of two Clip+, three Clip Zip and two Clip Sport I can tell you with certainty that I do hear differences between all of them (the Clip+ now being the least liked of the bunch solely from its sonic signature) and particularly to my three FiiO players X5, X3 II and X5 II (all of them, particularly the latter, offering a fuller, cleaner and more musical bass and higher resolution throughout the frequency spectrum).

There was I time when I couldn't live without the Clip+ and avoided all other players (because I liked its sound more than others'!), but that's many years ago. Meanwhile I'm spoiled by the sound quality of a Chord DAVE – and forgive me that I refuse to do a direct comparison to the Clip+.
wink.gif

I gotta hand it to you - Before I heard the first FiiO X5 I believed that Clip+ and Cowon J3 were going to be awesome for a long time. X5 destroyed both in less than 1 second of listening 
biggrin.gif

Now, I really want to know how Dave sounds like - it seems to be at the top of the audio food chain - and my questions / curiosities about it are giving me an itch 
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,526 of 15,899
You seem to be enthused by this DAP :cool:  

build-wise and feature wise — I'm definitely is. sound-wise, I need some more time to make up my mind.
I have a pretty busy time :) got this babe, got new DX200 from iBasso. Also I've already have OPUS#2 and LPG. and AK320 is on it's way…
It will be a hard time )))

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,527 of 15,899
  Do you also find the channel imbalance at lower levels on iDSD?

I haven't noticed so far. This review http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/17730 does in fact mention that but I was not able to detect that

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,528 of 15,899
build-wise and feature wise — I'm definitely is. sound-wise, I need some more time to make up my mind.
I have a pretty busy time
smily_headphones1.gif
got this babe, got new DX200 from iBasso. Also I've already have OPUS#2 and LPG. and AK320 is on it's way…
It will be a hard time )))

I'm also considering DX200, what's your take on X5 iii vs DX200? Thanks

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,529 of 15,899

I gotta hand it to you - Before I heard the first FiiO X5 I believed that Clip+ and Cowon J3 were going to be awesome for a long time. X5 destroyed both in less than 1 second of listening 
biggrin.gif

Now, I really want to know how Dave sounds like - it seems to be at the top of the audio food chain - and my questions / curiosities about it are giving me an itch 
wink.gif

I have a Cowon J5 and it was never awesome. It's way too rolled off in the top end to be awesome.

Feb 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,530 of 15,899

I have a Cowon J5 and it was never awesome. It's way too rolled off in the top end to be awesome.

Yes - but I never knew that it is like that before hearing something better 
biggrin.gif

My laptops, phones and everyhting from that time were much worse than J3... My laptop has a SABRE ESS DAC right now so I kinda have a better place of comparation. 

X5ii is still the best Device I owned to date - so there is that as well 

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,532 of 15,899
  Argh! I want this. I WANT THIS BAD. Reading this forum is driving me insane! lol

Here is a radical idea, stop reading this forum for awhile. Next time you feel like checking this forum Netflix and chill or listen to some babylady 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,533 of 15,899
So, here is my initial impressions video, based on recently released FW 1.1

Warning, strong ukrainian accent is present, sorry.
Please note, it's an initial impressions only, not a full review, as I need much more time for final opinion. But actually, X5-3 looks pretty solid anyway.

very nice review... and excellent musical taste, actually I thought you had access to my music library lol ! Pink FLoyd, Maiden, Moonspell, Haken, Gilmour !
Looking forward to read your review on how Maiden sounds on this player !!!  I have X1 for now and sometimes think older recordings (e.g. Powerslave or 7th son) could sound more vivid, I hope this will be the case on X5iii

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,535 of 15,899
  I did one more listening test, this time much longer exposure time (30 mins) and involving some other family members. 
Switched one headphones after another, tested all of my listed headphones, plus two unlisted. In the end, no one could tell the difference between Clip+, X3II or X5II me included. The only differences are what I already mentioned before.

That more or less reflects my own experience - I hear very little differences between my Clip Zip and my FIIO X3 II, but there's no doubt that the X5 construction is of a much better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back