Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #559 of 15,899
i guess fiio should ask all distributors to standardise price

Already been through this...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828402/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-2x-akm-4490-balanced-out-dsd-dxd-dts-android-dual-card-slot-mastering-quality-audio/345#post_13099875
sorry, the retail price is decided by our agents but not fiio. of course we can suggest how much they should sell. so all the price we reply is not the final price. very sorry about that. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828402/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-2x-akm-4490-balanced-out-dsd-dxd-dts-android-dual-card-slot-mastering-quality-audio/345#post_13099947
yes, I can understand but it is not our rule to set the retail price also it is illegal to us to do that. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #560 of 15,899
"Shrug" If local stores want to sell at a higher price than what is suggested or sold elsewhere, then I'll just bring my business to wherever is the most competitive.

Just as sellers have the freedom to price at whatever they want, buyers have to freedom to buy wherever we want.

I do want to thank local stores in advance for giving us an opportunity to listen to the product before we decide on our purchase 
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #561 of 15,899
This might be just me, but the display looks rather good, like good colors and contrast. Outdoors usage and how easy to read it is would make an interesting question for it?...

No, it isn't you. The screen on X5III is actually the best screen on any FiiO's DAP yet. It is the same size as X7 (and possibly the exact same screen), but I am not sure what FiiO did that gives X5III's screen a better contrast and more vivid color.

i guess fiio should ask all distributors to standardise price

Distributors all over the world face different tax, shipping and storage fee, day-to-day running cost, etc. To set one price that every distributor will be happy about pretty much means FiiO must set the price on the highest possible level (just so the highest costing distributor will be covered to make enough profit out of the deal). That in term means those distributor who don't have such a high cost on running business will make more money that they should while their customer will pay more money then they needed to. At the end, it is (most of) the customer that will take a hit. Like @xuan87 said, in the current way of doing things, if a regional distributor priced something too high, they will end up losing business to another region's distributor due to grey import.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #562 of 15,899
"Shrug" If local stores want to sell at a higher price than what is suggested or sold elsewhere, then I'll just bring my business to wherever is the most competitive.

Just as sellers have the freedom to price at whatever they want, buyers have to freedom to buy wherever we want.

I do want to thank local stores in advance for giving us an opportunity to listen to the product before we decide on our purchase :p

Being able to hear it before making decisions to purchase is a superb perk. I agree with you.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #565 of 15,899

Do you have the chance to test either? 

Do you know what type of sound you want to go for? 

X5-3 seems like an amazing device so far. 

I've only been able to test the Onkyo, haven't been able to get my hands on the FiiO.
How do they fare on paper? 
Sorry for the questions, I'm a noob looking for my first DAP =D
I found a really good deal for a 2nd hand DP-X1, cheaper than pre-ordering the FiiO.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #566 of 15,899
Personally, for the last year or so, I thought the Onkyo DP-X1 sounded like the best DAP in terms of price and functionality:
Dual DACs,
balanced & SE,
dual micro-SD,
full-size touchscreen,
UI,
streaming (I don't use this but would consider it in future, so want to keep that door open), ability to play DSD (same comment as before) etc etc.
Built-in functions that enable you to modify the sound/performance like 3 Digital Filters: Slow, Fast, Short Delay, ACG, Lock Range adjust to eliminate jitter etc (plus great parametric EQ etc).

It's mostly favourably held it's own in terms of comparisons with (e.g.) Opus 2, X7 and the whole A&K lineup (opinions vary of course).
Bearing in mind many of these DAPs are 3-6 times the price, that's pretty staggering, especially considering that the DP-X1 offers arguably more functionality (see above) than many of them!

Overall, whilst not perfect, it just seemed to have the only player that had everything I could want (so many other DAPs, even 3-6x the price with only 1 micro-SD card slot, or a small touchscreen etc)

It had it's issues; (quality control on the headphone sockets, underpowered amp section (not sure about this one), FW updates etc.
But now they've released the DP-X1A, which seems to take care of the majority of these issues.

For me, this was a no-brainer, and I was sure this was the DAP I'd be buying in the new year.
But now, this Fiio X5 iii has come along! Seems extremely similar in most ways.
So what I'd really love to see is comparisons between the new Fiio and the NEW Onkyo DP-X1A, highlighting the differences between them and comparing sound signatures.

If anyone has heard both, owns both or can demo both, please post here. I and several others would be eternally grateful
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #567 of 15,899
Personally, for the last year or so, I thought the Onkyo DP-X1 sounded like the best DAP in terms of price and functionality:
Dual DACs,
balanced & SE,
dual micro-SD,
full-size touchscreen,
UI,
streaming (I don't use this but would consider it in future, so want to keep that door open), ability to play DSD (same comment as before) etc etc.
Built-in functions that enable you to modify the sound/performance like 3 Digital Filters: Slow, Fast, Short Delay, ACG, Lock Range adjust to eliminate jitter etc (plus great parametric EQ etc).

It's mostly favourably held it's own in terms of comparisons with (e.g.) Opus 2, X7 and the whole A&K lineup (opinions vary of course).
Bearing in mind many of these DAPs are 3-6 times the price, that's pretty staggering, especially considering that the DP-X1 offers arguably more functionality (see above) than many of them!

Overall, whilst not perfect, it just seemed to have the only player that had everything I could want (so many other DAPs, even 3-6x the price with only 1 micro-SD card slot, or a small touchscreen etc)

It had it's issues; (quality control on the headphone sockets, underpowered amp section (not sure about this one), FW updates etc.
But now they've released the DP-X1A, which seems to take care of the majority of these issues.

For me, this was a no-brainer, and I was sure this was the DAP I'd be buying in the new year.
But now, this Fiio X5 iii has come along! Seems extremely similar in most ways.
So what I'd really love to see is comparisons between the new Fiio and the NEW Onkyo DP-X1A, highlighting the differences between them and comparing sound signatures.

If anyone has heard both, owns both or can demo both, please post here. I and several others would be eternally grateful :beerchug:

I'm waiting for the same thing. Considering to buy a new DAP. I love the fact fiio was small so easy to carry. Onkyo has a very good dac chip too. And the onkyo design was sexy as hell. I'm waiting for the sound impression. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back