Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 12, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #12,241 of 15,897
I also had the lg v20 and sold it keeping the fiio - it is pretty close but to me the fiio did sound better, I also added the fiio a5 amp which goes very well with the x5 - together they blow the LG V20 away that is for sure

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #12,242 of 15,897
I also had the lg v20 and sold it keeping the fiio - it is pretty close but to me the fiio did sound better, I also added the fiio a5 amp which goes very well with the x5 - together they blow the LG V20 away that is for sure

I own the V20. In fact I am posting this response from it. When I bought the LG I gave a friend my old X5 first gen without doing much comparison. One day I borrowed my old X5 back. At the end of the day I gave the X5 back to my friend and then listened to some of the same files on my V20. I came to the realization that I miss my X5. Maybe I'm not doing something right with the V20. Yes I experemented thoroughly with High Impedance mode. It was worse than normal mode.Currently thinking about an X7 II.

Dec 12, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #12,243 of 15,897
I tricked the V20 to go into high impedance mode, some people say it does not make a difference but I heard a difference on my hifiman edition x and my isine 10's. it makes a good dap but the fiio x5 3rd gen and a5 combo is definitely better

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #12,244 of 15,897
Even if the V20 has since dropped down in price since its release, so has the X5-III. Comparing a $700-800 device with one half as much, while calling the latter overpriced junk, is a little silly. I wouldn't praise my X5-III as perfect and most posts lately are hardly praising the device. You seem a little hurt that someone that isn't you is enjoying something you didn't. For every vocal post that's negative that means a hundred people had no issues.

I've been happy as of late using a mix of listening to foobar2000 (it might downsample but it doesn't butcher playback of higher resolution files like PowerAmp did for me) and FiiO music along with my E12A.

Had an amazing session with my friend across the country (who listens on a Pioneer XDP-300R balanced connection to HD700) just a few nights ago, and I don't feel like I'm being left in the dust sonically. We listened to Tristeza - (Dream Signals In Full Circles: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcCJDfsA8fzOs2FIWyAvcL8s0qpaPCxwq).

its true the V20 was expensive at launch, but for the past 4 monthes (maybe even more) it's price dramatically dropped, if you check in amazon you'll definitely find it cheaper (than this overpriced junk), and allow me to explain why i call it junk by asking you a few questions.
1- have you ever used a device that has a shorter battery life than this one?
2- have you ever used an android device that was so slow and laggy like this one? (why even bother with android with this chipset)
3- are you happy with the wifi signal strength on this device
and the list goes on and on.
4-and for the sound quality (which is most crucial) i tested both on high gain with an HD700, and the V20 was clearly better.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #12,245 of 15,897
I own the V20. In fact I am posting this response from it. When I bought the LG I gave a friend my old X5 first gen without doing much comparison. One day I borrowed my old X5 back. At the end of the day I gave the X5 back to my friend and then listened to some of the same files on my V20. I came to the realization that I miss my X5. Maybe I'm not doing something right with the V20. Yes I experemented thoroughly with High Impedance mode. It was worse than normal mode.Currently thinking about an X7 II.
i dont know anything about the first gen, i only tested the 3rd gen and it was clearly worse than the V20

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #12,246 of 15,897
i dont know anything about the first gen, i only tested the 3rd gen and it was clearly worse than the V20

If you are one who prefers the sound of the V20 in high impedance mode I can understand why you would like the V20 more than the X5 III. The V20 is fairly bright and clinical sounding to begin with, engaging high impedance mode accentuates this characteristic even more. Not really my type of sound. To me it's not natural sounding. The X5 III has been characterized as being on the warm side of neutral. Some don't like that type of sound signature. These people find it thick syrupy and veiled. Now of course I am referring to sound quality only, not any other aspect if the X5 III.

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #12,247 of 15,897
If you are one who prefers the sound of the V20 in high impedance mode I can understand why you would like the V20 more than the X5 III. The V20 is fairly bright and clinical sounding to begin with, engaging high impedance mode accentuates this characteristic even more. Not really my type of sound. To me it's not natural sounding. The X5 III has been characterized as being on the warm side of neutral. Some don't like that type of sound signature. These people find it thick syrupy and veiled. Now of course I am referring to sound quality only, not any other aspect if the X5 III.
yes, you are right the x5 III was much warmer, and yes the V20 triggers high impedance mode automatically (since i use a 150 ohms headphone), now to be honest i dont know what thick syrupy or veiled or any of these audio terms mean, but the best way to describe my problem with the x5 sound is that it felt like a covered speaker compared to the V20 + the sound on the X5 was fatiguing on my HD700 unlike the V20.
now i dont know which sounds more natural either, but the V20 sounded better to me and far more relaxing.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #12,248 of 15,897
i cant believe how people over here are still praising this product, i gave up on it after using it for less than a month, i posted a review in this thread and compared it to the my V20 which crushed this overpriced junk in every single aspect except for MAX volume (sadly it was deleted).
Wonder why it was deleted. Anyway having a different sound preference (warm vs. bright) doesn't make either device good or bad. Yes the battery life sucks as does the rk3188. Maybe it's just me but in 2017 using this SoC isn't the best idea FiiO had. I was slightly shocked to see the x7 ii go the same way. It just makes me a tad bit sad

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #12,249 of 15,897
Wonder why it was deleted. Anyway having a different sound preference (warm vs. bright) doesn't make either device good or bad. Yes the battery life sucks as does the rk3188. Maybe it's just me but in 2017 using this SoC isn't the best idea FiiO had. I was slightly shocked to see the x7 ii go the same way. It just makes me a tad bit sad
its not just a matter of (warm vs bright) it was a matter of clarity, & in my case comfort (since its not fatiguing).
and i dont know why my post was deleted.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #12,250 of 15,897
I'm still having the offline Tidal issue whereby it will glitch after about 4/5 songs - restarting the song cures it and it plays cleanly for about another 4/5 before doing it again. I have noticed that it doesn't happen with bluetooth headphones - only cabled or coax to an external DAC.

Anyone else?

Enable crossfade in Tidal settings, set it to 1 sec. Then Tidal offline should play flawless.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #12,251 of 15,897
its true the V20 was expensive at launch, but for the past 4 monthes (maybe even more) it's price dramatically dropped, if you check in amazon you'll definitely find it cheaper (than this overpriced junk), and allow me to explain why i call it junk by asking you a few questions.
1- have you ever used a device that has a shorter battery life than this one?
2- have you ever used an android device that was so slow and laggy like this one? (why even bother with android with this chipset)
3- are you happy with the wifi signal strength on this device
and the list goes on and on.
4-and for the sound quality (which is most crucial) i tested both on high gain with an HD700, and the V20 was clearly better.

For sound quality alone i definitely prefer this overpriced junk to the V20..and that also goes with the G6.. . :).

Battery life is not great on the X5 3rd but I don't remember the Ibasso DX200 had a better battery life, I get about 7-8 hours of playtime. And both the X5 3rd and the X7ii has fast charge, how many daps have this feature? Take the mojo and DX200, 8 hours use, 4 hours charge.... Could you imagine 4 hours charge for your V20...

Android is slow but usable for my needs. I don't really have a problem with the wifi signal, I can download anything I want with reasonable speed.

If you want an overall better dap get the X7ii. If you don't like FiiO don't buy any of their products, simple as that. I happen to like this overpriced junk, though I do overall prefer the X7ii.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #12,252 of 15,897
i cant believe how people over here are still praising this product, i gave up on it after using it for less than a month, i posted a review in this thread and compared it to the my V20 which crushed this overpriced junk in every single aspect except for MAX volume (sadly it was deleted).

You posted a similar kind of comment way back in April and got all the answers you want. I don't know why you hate X5 3 so much but you definitely are not making sense and wonder why you are watching this thread if X5 3 is that waste.
Just because you like V20 SQ over X5 3, it does not make X5 3 inferior.

A dedicated DAP is a DAP no matter how much mobile phones SQ is improved. you think you are the only wise guy of all the people in this thread.

X5 3 just might not be your cup of tea.

You should understand why Apple, Samsung, Google and most of the mobile phone manufacturers are ditching the 3.5mm jack.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #12,255 of 15,897
I just tested for you - both Neutron and a Pure Music. Both in Song mode and Album Mode. Using both Shuffle and Playthrough. No crashes. Works perfectly.

Or are you using a different mode?

Suggest upgrading to latest fw and after upgrade, do a factory reset. It sometimes helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back