Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #11,806 of 15,899
I dont know if this message has any sense for anyone - except yaslam - my thanks to him, but if anyone is
interested in Neutron improved for our Fiio X5.... from the conv - maybe in few days /hopefuly/ will send another test version of Neutron player...

Thank you very much for testing! It looks that new driver performs
well on X5 too.

**Neutron**

DSD128 and 256 are quite expensive for CPU and memory bus for
conversion to PCM and thus underruns may occur.

In nearest updates Neutron will be able to send DSD directly to the
Fiio's DAC (iBasso too) and thus problem will be solved. Work on a new
implementation of Neutron's driver appeared to be too hard to include
DSD in it. Next release will feature new driver and new hi-res
capabilities on some mobile devices which support offload and direct
PCM scenarios and then DSD will be added too. Some mobile devices
support offloaded DSD format too so it will be useful not only for
DAPs.

By the way does Neutron show > than 192 kHz in the frequency list
inside Audio Hardware -> Frequency (when Follow Source Frequency is
switched off)? If 192 kHz is a max and Fiio is sure that device can
play with 352.8 kHz and 384 kHz then these frequencies should be
exposed via AudioTrack::getMinBufferSize() because Neutron tests
frequency availability up to 768 kHz.

By the way hi-res test files can be found here:
http://www.2l.no/hires, there 24-bit/352.8 kHz files for testing.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Good news from them.
I purchased it and will keep eye out on here. Please do post test build.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #11,807 of 15,899
Hi @FiiO I have a potential bug to report on FW 1.1.8. I have an album (album: + -; artist: Mew) that didn't seem to be scanned by Fiio Music app. Even when I chose to scan the exact folder (Folder name: "+ -"). Previously it scanned fine.

UPDATE: I tried to change the folder name to "Plus Minus" to see if it was due to Fiio app not being able to handle symbols, and now it works! The Fiio music app can scan the folder now. HOWEVER, it is still not being displayed in the album list. So from the Artist's view, I can see that under "Mew" I have 34 songs in total, but when I checked the album list, I'll only see 2 albums with a total of 24 songs (instead of 3 albums with a total of 34 songs)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #11,808 of 15,899
I must confess FW 1.1.8 has made the X5 III much more usable for me. Kudos @FiiO on ironing out some of the annoying bugs that made the music app and the device sluggish for me. One area where you might want to turn your attention to would be usb out and shuffle play of a large library 15000 + tracks.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #11,809 of 15,899
I must confess FW 1.1.8 has made the X5 III much more usable for me. Kudos @FiiO on ironing out some of the annoying bugs that made the music app and the device sluggish for me. One area where you might want to turn your attention to would be usb out and shuffle play of a large library 15000 + tracks.
That shuffle is slow.. It's a shame. Fiio needs to rebuild a new music app. Because the android market apps are fine. But I don't like using them because the sound quality is better with the fiio music app. Well I'm going to purchase the LG v30 tomorrow and see how it sounds

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #11,810 of 15,899
That shuffle is slow.. It's a shame. Fiio needs to rebuild a new music app. Because the android market apps are fine. But I don't like using them because the sound quality is better with the fiio music app. Well I'm going to purchase the LG v30 tomorrow and see how it sounds
Keep us informed. Considering other apps can do it why not fiio

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #11,812 of 15,899
I now recived my New X5 III from the shop
The shop was kind to change it
Returned my X5 III with Dead pixel and got a brand new one
from shop since i was inwithin 14 days of return .

I will test the new one the comming days
I am so glad to get rid of the black pixel of X5 III
Very Happy

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #11,813 of 15,899
To summarize:

Physically, the 400GB microSD card is supported by the OS. X5 can read from and write to the card but the perfomance of the processor is not enough, to access and process a huge amount of data.
And I doubt, that a firmware update would solve that issue. The same card works as a charm in my Note8 Handy with PowerAmp.

So, if you need optimal Android performance, buy a fast handy. But there, you'll miss the optimized audio hardware of X5. If you want a great sounding media player, then you should go for a FiiO X5, but don't expect stunning Android performance ...

To my knowledge, there's no device on the market, offering the best of both worlds ...

I'm thinking of replacing my 2x200GB cards with one 400GB card, so it will contain the same number of files.
So in theory I should be ok, right?

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #11,814 of 15,899
I now recived my New X5 III from the shop
The shop was kind to change it
Returned my X5 III with Dead pixel and got a brand new one
from shop since i was inwithin 14 days of return .

I will test the new one the comming days
I am so glad to get rid of the black pixel of X5 III
Very Happy

Congratz! No more staring at that dead pixel... Enjoy!

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #11,815 of 15,899
Whenever I use my X5-3 as a DAC with my laptop it always displays 48 Khz-24 bits no matter what files I play. Is it a bug? I think it's supposed do display actual bit rate, isn't it?

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #11,816 of 15,899
I'm thinking of replacing my 2x200GB cards with one 400GB card, so it will contain the same number of files.
So in theory I should be ok, right?
I'm not shure, I didn't have the same slow reaction with 2 x 200GB ...
Seems, like it's worse with one 400GB SDcard.
However, if you use it mainly in Directory or File mode, there is no problem at all ...
But you must know, how you use your player ...

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #11,817 of 15,899
^
I've also come across comments stating the 400GB cards have been problematic for some users/devices.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #11,818 of 15,899
@FiiO,
I found a bug in FW 1.1.8.
I only use the folder mode in Fiio Music (never scan my music collection and do not use playlists).
So, I have a folder containing a bunch of flac files and a single m3u on an sd card.
When I try to delete the m3u file in the folder (swipe left, tap delete) the UI says the file was successfully removed but in fact it did not.
The only way to get rid of the m3u file was to switch to the Android Mode and use ES File Explorer.
Then I switched back to the Pure Mode and tried to delete flac files - worked as expected.
One more thing - the m3u file was the first file on the list.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #11,819 of 15,899
Whenever I use my X5-3 as a DAC with my laptop it always displays 48 Khz-24 bits no matter what files I play. Is it a bug? I think it's supposed do display actual bit rate, isn't it?

It's weird. I "was" at one point showing 24/192 on the screen of the X5... then I started using Foobar2000 and using the Fiio ASIO drivers and such for DSD decoding. Foobar consistently shows that the file playing is DSD, but the bit rate is 44.1KHz for some reason. I copied the file to the X5iii and played directly off the device, it recognizes as a DSD128 and plays it as such (with proper bitrate). I'm hoping it is my configuration and not yet another bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back