Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 4, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #11,776 of 15,897
Hi, Just received my x5 III. I'm trying to download the latest 1.8 firmware but I get an error message when I try to download it from Fiio's website. When I try an OTA update it says I have the latest version, so far I only installed the 1.7 firmware. Does anyone else have this issue?

1.8 not download.JPG

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #11,777 of 15,897
It's just odd that you seem to understand it and yet you post an interesting chart that shows the frequency limits that varies species can hear.
The two are not related. And then you get huffy about it? Please.

For the record I posted "hold up" in reference to the massive dump of photos that others found humorous. It has nothing to do with what's discussed til now.

Now as for the chart of animal AND HUMAN hearing range...

I explained that a flagship pair of headphones, say the HD800S has an upper end frequency response of 51 kHz. Another flagship LCD-4, goes up to 50 kHz as well.
If you have a 96 kHz music file it will contain frequencies up to HALF the sample rate. So up to 48 kHz.
Without using a 24/192 kHz file you're losing a precious (sarcasm) slice of sound between 48kHz and 51 kHz. And to even hear that difference you need a tail! To be another animal! An animal that can even hear such frequencies.

So what transducer can even take advantage of anything past a 24/192 kHz file...

Complaints about the X5-iii in this regard are moot.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #11,779 of 15,897
Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear it's not working perfectly. Hopefully it will be fixed by a firmware update.
Good to hear though that it's good enough for you for now. Enjoy!
To summarize:

Physically, the 400GB microSD card is supported by the OS. X5 can read from and write to the card but the perfomance of the processor is not enough, to access and process a huge amount of data.
And I doubt, that a firmware update would solve that issue. The same card works as a charm in my Note8 Handy with PowerAmp.

So, if you need optimal Android performance, buy a fast handy. But there, you'll miss the optimized audio hardware of X5. If you want a great sounding media player, then you should go for a FiiO X5, but don't expect stunning Android performance ...

To my knowledge, there's no device on the market, offering the best of both worlds ...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #11,780 of 15,897
Hi everybody
I've enjoyed reading this thread since April and just decided to pull the trigger and order an X5iii for myself based on the apparent stability introduced with update 1.1.8. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer.
I've been enjoying using an X1ii since January. I have some microSD cards already loaded for use in my X1ii. Will they work as is in the X5iii? They are formatted in exFAT with a volume label of X1 . Will the X5iii have a problem with an X1 volume label? When I formatted my first card in the X1ii it added a volume label while formatting in FAT32. I have formatted additional cards with my computer in exFAT using 16K clusters as recommended by power user on the X1ii thread. Just want to know whether I need to reformat my cards for use in the X5iii. Not a big deal but I figure it's best to know ahead of time.
It looks like Fiio is having problems with their servers so it might be a while before I can even update my firmware. X5iii is still in the unopened box. I'm looking forward to getting this thing hooked up to my stereo and cranking up some tunes!

Oct 4, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #11,782 of 15,897
The only person selling snake oil is the person who's telling you you can hear a difference between 96 kilohertz and 192 kilohertz.
Yeah - then high res dap is a not as high as claimed.... hmm... my favorit albums are in dsd64 dsd128 oh my...a shame...whatever... i use mostly flacs or mp3 320kb...but i drink espresso without sugar/milk too --- for the best possible sound :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #11,783 of 15,897
Got answer from Shop Boss now where i purchased Fiio X5III with Dead pixel
They will pick it up and remplace it with a new one this week, so i get a brand new sealed Fiio X5III black
It will be good without the dead pixel else Fiio is good, Howerver i found volume on X5III to be lower than on other players i have
have to turn up the volume, the bass is not so strong that other players and volume is lower but except for that is awesome player.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #11,784 of 15,897
Is this false advertising on the part of FiiO?

FiiO claim that the X5III supports Audio Formats up to 384kHz/32bit, however, people are claiming that it supports only 192kHz.

FiiO futher claim that the USB DAC supports 192kHz/24bit, however, many are reporting that the DAC function does not function.

I use neither of these functions so I cannot comment on them, but this is a major issue of false advertising if this is the case.

Just clarifying this. The guy from Neutron was talking about digital out, and FiiO have made no claims about the digital out specifically (when referring to digital rates or specs). FiiO have said that the DAC will handle up to 32/384 and the specs say this is true. unfortunately there is no 32/384 music on the market today (which shows why the numbers game is so silly). I would test it - but there are no files to test with, and even the transcoder I use does not have the capability of going to 32/384.

However, your statement that FiiO is false advertising is ill advised. The Neutron guys are saying they're unlocking 192kHz over digital out (USB). Again - you're talking two different things, and accusing FiiO of misleading people is wrong in this instance.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #11,785 of 15,897
[Mod Comment]

There has been an off topic debate about bit depth and sampling rate, and so far from the back and forth I would suggest both sides could do with going to Sound Science and actually finding out what it really means and whether it is audible. The following may help:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-scientific-merit-of-pono.717836/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/why...-not-only-worthless-but-bad-for-music.716822/

Now - can we keep this thread on topic please - IE The FiiO X5iii

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #11,786 of 15,897
Hi, Just received my x5 III. I'm trying to download the latest 1.8 firmware but I get an error message when I try to download it from Fiio's website. When I try an OTA update it says I have the latest version, so far I only installed the 1.7 firmware. Does anyone else have this issue?

Try downloading the FW to your computer then copying it to the X5iii - the link to Fiio's support forum where the file is located is below:

Can anyone who downloaded the 1.8 firmware upload it to a file sharing site and provide a link?
Would be much appreciated :beerchug:

No sharing site but the FW can be downloaded from Fiio's support forum: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42733&extra=page=1 (The link is just above the first photo)

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #11,787 of 15,897
Try downloading the FW to your computer then copying it to the X5iii - the link to Fiio's support forum where the file is located is below:

No sharing site but the FW can be downloaded from Fiio's support forum: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=42733&extra=page=1 (The link is just above the first photo)

That's the first thing I did. I attached the error message below my original post, that error message appears when I click on the 1.8 firmware download. Interestingly, it appears to be the only firmware that cannot be downloaded from Fiio's site.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #11,788 of 15,897
That's the first thing I did. I attached the error message below my original post, that error message appears when I click on the 1.8 firmware download. Interestingly, it appears to be the only firmware that cannot be downloaded from Fiio's site.

You are right, there is a problem at the moment as I get the same error. You will need to wait for FiiO to fix it as that is the official download link.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #11,789 of 15,897
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #11,790 of 15,897
The only person selling snake oil is the person who's telling you you can hear a difference between 96 kilohertz and 192 kilohertz.

I can play DSD out of mine; never had an issue either directly into my headphone/IEMs or digitally out via SPDIF. Hoping USB comes on-line soon!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back