Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #11,791 of 15,899
I can play DSD out of mine; never had an issue either directly into my headphone/IEMs or digitally out via SPDIF. Hoping USB comes on-line soon!

I have not stated any such issues with DSD.

The original issue (I thought) people were having some digital output being capped at 192 kHz. (As opposed to the highest reported spec of 384 kHz). But that was an apples and oranges scenario. It didn't have anything to do with DSD.

I enjoy my DSD copy of Depeche Mode's 'Violator' on the regular on my X5iii.
DSD gives you a very good signal to noise ratio at the audible range (at least 120dB) through 20 kHz. As a result of noise shaping to get that high SNR in the audible spectrum, the trade off is less SNR in the inaudible spectrum. Which is fine, because you filter it out with a low pass filter anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #11,794 of 15,899
I have not stated any such issues with DSD.

The original issue (I thought) people were having some digital output being capped at 192 kHz. (As opposed to the highest reported spec of 384 kHz). But that was an apples and oranges scenario. It didn't have anything to do with DSD.

I enjoy my DSD copy of Depeche Mode's 'Violator' on the regular on my X5iii.
DSD gives you a very good signal to noise ratio at the audible range (at least 120dB) through 20 kHz. As a result of noise shaping to get that high SNR in the audible spectrum, the trade off is less SNR in the inaudible spectrum. Which is fine, because you filter it out with a low pass filter anyway.

FiiO responded as follows that native playback can not be done in the format exceeding 192 kHz until now. I was told that I am trying to fix it, but I think that it has not been fixed yet.
Down conversion playback is possible, so the notation as a support format is not a mistake.

Hello

I'm sorry, I have not mentioned FiiO about DSD after that.
Please have Neutron developers try with the AudioFormat of FiiO Music log previously posted by me.
I am not familiar with the DSD playback program, so it would be great to give feedback from Neutron developers. I would like to confirm to FiiO based on that feedback.

Audioformat = 7 (ENCODING _ DTS) is set in DSD64.
Audioformat = 8 (ENCODING_DTS_HD) is set in the DSD128.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...-dual-card-slot.828402/page-717#post-13648386

Also, I received the following responses from FiiO yesterday about PCM exceeding 192 kHz.
After communicating with the software enigneer, at present, the X5 3rd gen can not native-playback 352.8kHz and 384kHz. But we will fix it by future update.
My colleague also already replied that issue on Head-fi forum.

USB-DAC is connect X5 3rd to PC and use it. This supports 192kHz/24bit.
But, USB-Audio function is not working.
USB-Audio function is to connect X5 3rd to another DAC.
FiiO has said that it is continuing efforts to realize the USB-Audio function.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #11,796 of 15,899
Sorry it didn't work out. I guess we'll see you on other threads when you eventually find a DAP for your needs then. In the meantime I'll continue to use (and enjoy) my X5iii. Still lovin' it.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #11,797 of 15,899
I've been following this thread for awhile now but i finally splurged and bought this.

I am not an audiofile but Wow! This is a great DAP for the money. Sounds better than anything I've used. (I don't get the more expensive ones though) and please don't ask me to describe the sound as I am not that smart

I'll be honest though. I am not too keen on the the FiiO native app but using PowerAmp and Neutron suits my needs just fine. It's kinda why I bought it. Because it being android lets me choose the player I like with the Best UI

I normally just use the headphones and analogue out though.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #11,798 of 15,899
I've been following this thread for awhile now but i finally splurged and bought this.

I am not an audiofile but Wow! This is a great DAP for the money. Sounds better than anything I've used. (I don't get the more expensive ones though) and please don't ask me to describe the sound as I am not that smart

I'll be honest though. I am not too keen on the the FiiO native app but using PowerAmp and Neutron suits my needs just fine. It's kinda why I bought it. Because it being android lets me choose the player I like with the Best UI

I normally just use the headphones and analogue out though.

Wish you many hours of joyful listening - you're absolutely right to take advantage of the adaptability of Android in this player! Enjoy enjoy :)

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #11,799 of 15,899
After less than a full day of owning an operating a brand new x5 III, the player refuses to charge! I tried three different MicroUSB chargers and all of them charge my Mojo but don't charge the x5, so it's clearly not the charger. :unamused:

I tried redownloading the 1.7 firmware but sadly the player wouldn't install it, same with the 1.4 firmware (PS: The others can't be accessed at all)

I'm still trying to determine if this is a hardware or software issue, is it worth doing a factory reset? Has anyone encountered something similar?

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #11,802 of 15,899
^
Go ahead and do a reset. Can't hurt. I had to on mine when I first got, different probs than what you're facing tho'. My X5iii has been fine since then.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #11,804 of 15,899
UPDATE:

As a final test to determine whether or not the charging port was completely fried I took out my OTG cable and hooked it up to Mojo. To my surprise, there was actually a handshake! And the audio was playing out the Mojo into my IEMS.

Then I plugged the x5 into the charger and it started to charge again, hallelujah!

Just yesterday I decided to test the OTG into my Mojo even though I knew it had issues it still sorta played music but with iffy quality. Then after a few minutes, I experienced a weird glitch and had to restart the x5.
The weird glitch must have temporarily bricked the data transfer/charging capabilities of the device.

Ironically, the fix to my problem was what had broken it in the first place.

Long story short, don't use OTG just yet. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #11,805 of 15,899
I dont know if this message has any sense for anyone - except yaslam - my thanks to him, but if anyone is
interested in Neutron improved for our Fiio X5.... from the conv - maybe in few days /hopefuly/ will send another test version of Neutron player...

Thank you very much for testing! It looks that new driver performs
well on X5 too.

**Neutron**

DSD128 and 256 are quite expensive for CPU and memory bus for
conversion to PCM and thus underruns may occur.

In nearest updates Neutron will be able to send DSD directly to the
Fiio's DAC (iBasso too) and thus problem will be solved. Work on a new
implementation of Neutron's driver appeared to be too hard to include
DSD in it. Next release will feature new driver and new hi-res
capabilities on some mobile devices which support offload and direct
PCM scenarios and then DSD will be added too. Some mobile devices
support offloaded DSD format too so it will be useful not only for
DAPs.

By the way does Neutron show > than 192 kHz in the frequency list
inside Audio Hardware -> Frequency (when Follow Source Frequency is
switched off)? If 192 kHz is a max and Fiio is sure that device can
play with 352.8 kHz and 384 kHz then these frequencies should be
exposed via AudioTrack::getMinBufferSize() because Neutron tests
frequency availability up to 768 kHz.

By the way hi-res test files can be found here:
http://www.2l.no/hires, there 24-bit/352.8 kHz files for testing.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back