Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #11,746 of 15,899
I'm all for recording quality, which is why I have PCM transcodes of DSD albums sitting on my X5iii. But what transducer is going to give you anything meaningful above a 96 kHz signal?
An HD 800 S (or insert any other flagship here) extends up to 51 kHz. So the 96 kHz signal is leaving you sans 48-51 kHz. You probably have a tail if you can hear what's happening at that point.

Complaints about anything happening above this range is foolish.

Bold statement. OK, I am fool, but with good equipment and hearing. No tail, sorry :) Frequency discretion it is not only about acoustic frequency - it is about resolution - best example - TV screen and video formats resolution. Low resolution - dull picture. The same with music.
I can bet, you can't hear anything above 20kHz. So, according your logic, you are not in need for 800S - only half it is enough? :) Devil hides in details. For that details we are paying.

Edit. Why you are transcoding DSD to PCM? Of course, all up to you. Then go further - transcode DSD to mp3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #11,747 of 15,899
Bold statement. OK, I am fool, but with good equipment and hearing. :) Frequency discretion it is not only about acoustic frequency - it is about resolution - best example - TV screen and video formats resolution. Low resolution - dull picture. The same with music.
I can bet, you can't hear anything above 20kHz. So, according your logic, you are not in need for 800S - only half it is enough? :) Devil hides in details. For that details we are paying.

What an HD 800 S does in the frequencies we can hear is worth what it costs.

I'm not trying to sell you an infrared or an ultraviolet TV. It is beyond our perception even if differences can be found using tools.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #11,748 of 15,899
Couple of quick things:

Firmware 1.1.8 installed and a lot of use over the last couple of days. No problems at all, system seems a little snappier, no stuttering, sound signature is all good. Not noticing any changes that affect me either way but nice to be up to date.

A little thing, not sure if this is common knowledge or if it even affects anyone else. I've been aware of it for a while but just hadn't bothered posting (sorry!): Sometimes if you pause playback and leave the player alone for a while, when you come back to it it can't remember which song you were listening to (sometimes even if it's showing you the song on the lock screen!). Simply put, this only happens on songs which have not been scanned, so if you encounter this issue, do a full scan and it should fix the problem
I face the exact same problem but for me this is a minor one considering how things have been much better off with FW 1.1.8
I dont want to complain and jinx it :wink:

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #11,750 of 15,899
Bold statement. OK, I am fool, but with good equipment and hearing. No tail, sorry :) Frequency discretion it is not only about acoustic frequency - it is about resolution - best example - TV screen and video formats resolution. Low resolution - dull picture. The same with music.

Edit. Why you are transcoding DSD to PCM? Of course, all up to you. Then go further - transcode DSD to mp3.

P.S. Leaving you alone with your dreams about other people tails. Enjoy yourself in your bold darkness.

What an HD 800 S does in the frequencies we can hear is worth what it costs.

I'm not trying to sell you an infrared or an ultraviolet TV. It is beyond our perception even if differences can be found using tools.
Gentlemen, the controversy started when someone mentioned bit depth and sample rate (recording quality), namely 24/192, please enlighten me if this is the same thing when we mention 20 kHz while mentioning audible frequencies?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #11,751 of 15,899
@FiiO Will the 400GB MicroSD cards from Sandisk be officially supported any time soon?
Someone ordered one a few pages back and we shall know in a short while if it is supported. I haven't heard anything officially from Fiio.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #11,753 of 15,899
I face the exact same problem but for me this is a minor one considering how things have been much better off with FW 1.1.8
I dont want to complain and jinx it :wink:

If the problem you're referring to is the player forgetting which song you were listening, try doing a full scan and see if it sorts it out. Definitely works for me

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #11,755 of 15,899
If the problem you're referring to is the player forgetting which song you were listening, try doing a full scan and see if it sorts it out. Definitely works for me
I have tried that several times. Didn't work for me. I reckon i need to do a factory reset however, i am being too lazy.

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #11,756 of 15,899
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #11,757 of 15,899
Gentlemen, the controversy started when someone mentioned bit depth and sample rate (recording quality), namely 24/192, please enlighten me if this is the same thing when we mention 20 kHz while mentioning audible frequencies?

To be honest this topic could be cleared up on the 'Sound Science' section of Head-Fi.

FiiO advertises the two AK4490EN used support decoding up to 32bit/768 kHz. But this is just the specification of DAC chip.

It also advertises the liquid crystal oscillators used for the two multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz go up to 176.4 kHz/DSD(352.8 kHz) & 384, respectively.

But some users are reporting they're getting only up to 24-bit 192khz out of their player.

Someone called FiiO out for false advertising, which is where I chimed in.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #11,758 of 15,899
To be honest this topic could be cleared up on the 'Sound Science' section of Head-Fi.

FiiO advertises the two AK4490EN used support decoding up to 32bit/768 kbps. But this is just the specification of DAC chip.

It also advertises the liquid crystal oscillators used for the two multiples of 44.1 and 48 kHz go up to 176.4 kHz/DSD(352.8 kHz) & 384, respectively.

But some users are reporting they're getting only up to 24-bit 192khz out of their player.

Someone called FiiO out for false advertising, which is where I chimed in.

This is where it is all getting confusing (at least for me), there are too many kHz, Bits, kbps listed, I don't think anyone really knows what this thing is supposed to do.

I am not fussed as I don't use these crazy formats, hundreds of megabytes for a single song is just crazy, can anyone really hear the difference?

As for the false advertising, if these rates are specifically claimed but are not delivered then that statement stands, but as I said, I don't know.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #11,759 of 15,899
This is where it is all getting confusing (at least for me), there are too many kHz, Bits, kbps listed, I don't think anyone really knows what this thing is supposed to do.

I am not fussed as I don't use these crazy formats, hundreds of megabytes for a single song is just crazy, can anyone really hear the difference?

As for the false advertising, if these rates are specifically claimed but are not delivered then that statement stands, but as I said, I don't know.
I apologise there was a typo where I said 768 kbps instead of 768 kHz.

But that's more to the point that this is all just marketing these DAP manufacturers stamp "hi-res audio" on the box and one up each other with silly numbers beyond our hearing that caps out at 23,000 hZ anyways!

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #11,760 of 15,899

P.S. Leaving you alone with your dreams about other people tails. Enjoy yourself in your bold darkness.

Alright there's clearly some language barrier preventing you from grasping this, but I'll try again.

512px-Animal_hearing_frequency_range.svg.png

If you want to hear something above 23 kHz you better have a tail. Such as a CAT.

But seriously, "in bold darkness" ?
What are you even attempting to point out...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back