Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #10,786 of 15,899
My Macbook has USB 3.0 ports and the Fiio X5iii connects and is recognised by the laptop.

Like you, however, I had problems connecting at first. The following replies from Fiio might be of help:

1. If you want to make the X5III work as a DAC, you should change the Storage mode to DAC mode firstly.
While in Android mode, please pull down the settings menu from the upper of the X5III's touch screen and click on "Storage" icon, then it will be changed to "USB DAC".
2. But if the X5III is set to Storage mode, it will not work?
When running Storage mode, if you connect the unit with the computer via USB, the "USB mass storage interface" will show up on the touchscreen, and you will be required to click "TURN ON USB STORAGE" on the X5III's screen.

No, this is a long term issue. I raised it about 4 months ago, it was confirmed by other users on here especially those with Surface Books who only have one port.

It seems to be a problem with newer laptops or specific controllers. I thought I had found a work around by connecting it to my USB C port via an adapter, but that stopped working after my computer upgraded to Windows Creator and Fiio updated the ROM.

The only way that I can manage music now is by removing the SD Cards, but this does not help me with the internal memory.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #10,787 of 15,899
No, this is a long term issue. I raised it about 4 months ago, it was confirmed by other users on here especially those with Surface Books who only have one port.

It seems to be a problem with newer laptops or specific controllers. I thought I had found a work around by connecting it to my USB C port via an adapter, but that stopped working after my computer upgraded to Windows Creator and Fiio updated the ROM.

The only way that I can manage music now is by removing the SD Cards, but this does not help me with the internal memory.

Maybe try something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-Supe...1502368004&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+to+usb+adapter

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #10,788 of 15,899

Ah, okay. Sorry to hear that you still have problems four months on. Hopefully, superuser1's suggestion will help solve your issues, although it must be frustrating that the X5iii doesn't work out of the box for you.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #10,790 of 15,899
So nobody has issue with playback using Fiio music player on the latest firmwares? Any suggestions?

I would suggest a factory reset with the internal storage formatted.

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #10,792 of 15,899
I tried this and this did not help.
Maybe you should talk to your seller for a replacement. I am sorry i don't know enough about your issue and have no other suggestions.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #10,793 of 15,899
Aug 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #10,794 of 15,899
Ah, okay. Sorry to hear that you still have problems four months on. Hopefully, superuser1's suggestion will help solve your issues, although it must be frustrating that the X5iii doesn't work out of the box for you.

It is a shame, because this is nice little player. I still have my X5II that is working perfectly and connecting to my laptop, I only ugraded because I wanted something a little more user friendly.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #10,795 of 15,899
Thanks, I think it was on here that someone mentioned something similar. I recall someone saying that a USB 2.0 adapter strangely allowed them to connect to their USB 3.0 ports. I will have to search my junk drawers to see if I have any USB 2.0 left.

Additionally you could dry you old smartphone cables to see if this problem is alleviated.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #10,796 of 15,899
In logs I can see that Fiio's music player is converting to 176.4 kHz
(AudioTrack-JNI: sampleRate=176400, audioFormat(from Java)=10, channel
mask=c, buffSize=963376), e.g. downsapling by 2. So, it looks like so
far 192 kHz is max even for Fiio's music player, if I am not mistaken.

well... then Fiio is lying about 394Khz decoding capabilities of the device. It's not native, it's downsampled.
When will DAP manufacturers finally understand that Android is crap ?

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #10,798 of 15,899
Aug 10, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #10,799 of 15,899
Never said it was, but it's interesting to note that Twister6 recently answered a question on his review site, with this. "DX200, Plenue 2, and LPG are my favourites now."

So he seems to like it and that's good enough for me, as I respect his opinion!

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #10,800 of 15,899
Additionally you could dry you old smartphone cables to see if this problem is alleviated.

No luck unfortunately, with the X5III;
  • USB 2.0 adapter does not work.
  • USB C adapter does not work.
  • Numerous cables do not work.
However, all of them work with my old FiiO X5II.

It seems strange that an older generation player is compatible with new hardware but the newest generation is not. I am guessing that this will never be fixed by FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back