Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #10,516 of 15,899
The good thing is that we should benefit soon - I hope so - from another firmware update :)

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #10,517 of 15,899
Ok, so second DSD album worked. It might be the encoding but doesn't explain why the other devices can play it. I wonder if this is something that was told to me about the Aune M1S, where it would play most DSD128, but there were some it couldn't, but that was fixed through firmware. I dunno. Thanks for the help @Brooko
I had something like this happen on another Fiio device. It turned out that the file which didn't play well was 5.1 channels. It couldn't be something like that, could it?

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #10,518 of 15,899
I noticed that playing Radio-Activity by Kraftwerk gapless playback has a slight hesitation, which I've never noticed before.

FiiO always seems to go two steps forward, one step back when it comes to firmware.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #10,519 of 15,899
comments suppressed.
I am sad Fiio.

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #10,520 of 15,899
Ok, the gapless playback not functioning anymore is really annoying. With live-Albums or mixes, it's a no-go.

FiiO, would it be possible to correct that problem very quickly, maybe before a new FW-Update? Is it technically possible?
Thanks

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #10,521 of 15,899
I installed 1.1.7 on my FIIO X5iii and now Resume does not work. Every time I start the device I must reselect the album and song I was listening to.
If I select recently played from the menu it will play the last song but will not continue with the album, it plays the next song on the recently played list which might be a different album.
I had no problems with 1.1.6 and would go back but I don't have a copy of 1.1.6 and I removed Google framework from 1.1.7 so I don't know if I can reinstall 1.1.6.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #10,522 of 15,899
I had something like this happen on another Fiio device. It turned out that the file which didn't play well was 5.1 channels. It couldn't be something like that, could it?

Anything is possible, but the rip was a 21 Pilots Vinyl. Is there such a thing as 5.1 in vinyl? Anyway, it seems to play without problem and hesitation on the AP60. I mean, for a lower powered device, that when you hit PLAY does not take 3-5 seconds to start the song is sweet. Then, it doesn't drop anything mid song either. I know Fiio can do it, they just need to hire the right software engineers, otherwise....the hardware is fantastic. At this rate, I have no desire to look at any of their other DAPs.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #10,524 of 15,899
the return of the gapless function is now a top priority for Fiio engineers, it's totally ruining the experience for many of us.
I am sure they will get this fixed soon. I took some courses in software. I wouldn't want to be doing this. lol

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #10,526 of 15,899
omg lol
i now have to revert for gapless to work again.

This is last Fiio player for me.
I cant live with a player that costs this much and you forced to use fiio player which is not as good as foobar for 24/96 files.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #10,527 of 15,899
omg lol
i now have to revert for gapless to work again.

This is last Fiio player for me.
I cant live with a player that costs this much and you forced to use fiio player which is not as good as foobar for 24/96 files.
There are hiccups with every player. FW gets smoothed out after a while.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #10,528 of 15,899
[RANT ON]
I don't think I would hear a difference either, but it was an encode from Vinyl, so.. why not give it all I can? Anyway. PC has no issues, S8 has no issues, LG V20 doesn't either. I definitely think it is a CPU/Memory issue. I was even able to take a snapshot (on the S8) and edit the snapshot while listening (still no drops). I guess I'm asking too much from a lower priced DAP? I wonder if the Kann or other High-End DAPs would have similar issues.

I don't see why I would have to re-sample my files... if the manufacturer states that their devices should work with these files.

Yes, I know... I'm complaining. I'm a whiner... ...but I did pay for a DAP that plays music in many formats. Doesn't skip or interrupt me like my cellphone did (due to notifications, not software issues). Has Balanced headphone out (was hoping for Balanced line-out... but that wasn't on the spec sheet... so my fault there), and sounded better than my phone. I like the device, I would just like it to work as expected.

I do understand why you want the device to work as advertised, but I am not sure why it is causing you so much angst that it has problems with a few files. I think that you indicate that you like the device overall and that you have one set of files in DSD128. You ask why you should have to recode the problem files. The answer is so that you can listen to them without becoming angry. At some point they may fix the problem, but if not, just enjoy the device for what it does well instead of becoming so distraught over one thing that is doesn't. At some point one has to say, "it is what it is" and move on.

I have lots of DSD files, I never put any of them on the cards for the X5 III due to space issues... that is how important they are to me. I have several other systems that will play them when required.

I would far prefer that they successfully implement Gapless playback and ReplayGain than agonize over something as relatively useless (and having so little material available in) as DSD128.

For my part, I am simply enjoying the things that this modestly priced DAP does well and saving my mental energy to apply to more significant areas of my life.

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #10,529 of 15,899
I do understand why you want the device to work as advertised, but I am not sure why it is causing you so much angst that it has problems with a few files. I think that you indicate that you like the device overall and that you have one set of files in DSD128. You ask why you should have to recode the problem files. The answer is so that you can listen to them without becoming angry. At some point they may fix the problem, but if not, just enjoy the device for what it does well instead of becoming so distraught over one thing that is doesn't. At some point one has to say, "it is what it is" and move on.

I have lots of DSD files, I never put any of them on the cards for the X5 III due to space issues... that is how important they are to me. I have several other systems that will play them when required.

I would far prefer that they successfully implement Gapless playback and ReplayGain than agonize over something as relatively useless (and having so little material available in) as DSD128.

For my part, I am simply enjoying the things that this modestly priced DAP does well and saving my mental energy to apply to more significant areas of my life.

My angst is not "really" about the DSD. I'm upset that the device doesn't really live up to its potential that the hardware included should be able to do. It almost seems to me, that it is potentially neutered in order to not step on the toes of the X7ii (which will now probably split developers time in half as they develop for both units). I mean, I'm still waiting for the time when I press "PLAY" on the device and not wait 3-5 seconds for my music to start. My AP60 starts almost instantly, and I purchased that on a "whim" to be my transport to my (now sold) Chord Mojo. I do prefer the sound out of the X5iii over my LG V20, definitely over my S8 and my AP60. I liked it enough to sell off my more analytical Mojo to move down to one device. It just "pains" me... that my cell phone and Mojo that I already had was a fantastic combo... I just didn't want the stacking. Now... I'm wondering if the Q1 MK2 and my cell phone would get along, and then I'll go back to stacking... while waiting for the X5iii to become fully baked. I'll sit on the sidelines now... and just watch the show.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #10,530 of 15,899
My angst is not "really" about the DSD. I'm upset that the device doesn't really live up to its potential that the hardware included should be able to do. It almost seems to me, that it is potentially neutered in order to not step on the toes of the X7ii (which will now probably split developers time in half as they develop for both units). I mean, I'm still waiting for the time when I press "PLAY" on the device and not wait 3-5 seconds for my music to start. My AP60 starts almost instantly, and I purchased that on a "whim" to be my transport to my (now sold) Chord Mojo. I do prefer the sound out of the X5iii over my LG V20, definitely over my S8 and my AP60. I liked it enough to sell off my more analytical Mojo to move down to one device. It just "pains" me... that my cell phone and Mojo that I already had was a fantastic combo... I just didn't want the stacking. Now... I'm wondering if the Q1 MK2 and my cell phone would get along, and then I'll go back to stacking... while waiting for the X5iii to become fully baked. I'll sit on the sidelines now... and just watch the show.
Yeah I feel same way with performance of x5iii being sluggish.
Aune M1S turns on and off almost instantly.
Turn on instant. Play song right away.
Also the SE output for Aune is much more cleaner than x5iii.

I contacted fiio. The rep told me the Manager said that they will not make SE out as clean as Line out. Because people like different sounds. So they will keep SE output the way it is. I find x5iii lineout through A5 an improvement over SE output.

Aune doesn't suffer from that. Both SE and Bal are all good. I know it's unfair considering Aune has much more skill in their amps and tuning of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back