Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 30, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #8,371 of 15,897
Nice, I tried to solder one of those TRRS plugs and they are way too small for my poor solder skill set. How about a photo of the plug with cap unscrewed to satisfy my curiosity.

Maybe the next one. I typically cover the solder connections with Shrink tubing. It would be nearly impossible to remove the tubing and get another on without un-soldering the connector all over again.

Hint: 1. Get a decent iron and a pointed tip. 2. use an X-Acto knife to scratch the soldering points on the plug and then tin them. 3. Lastly, you can do the shield and tip straight on, but the Ring 1 and Ring2 would be easiest if you do them at 45 degree angles (either side) or more (greater angle if possible).

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #8,372 of 15,897
I have some iems that are pretty hard to drive with a standard MMCX 3.5mm cable. Two options:

a) buy a nice MMCX balanced 2.5mm cable, about $100-150

or

b) stack with the FiiO A5, $129

jmills8
Onkyo music app works great on the X5III.

are you using the HF player from the play store, or the onkyo app built for the DP-1X? Also are you sure the app is using both dacs and not defaulting to the android dac?

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #8,374 of 15,897
I think it is Onkyo app in the Fiio market. I compare the Onkyo app to Fiio's own music app, and found the former much engaging.

Don't know the terminology but may be the Onkyo app's high is tuned in a way to my liking. But I also found the UI of Onkyo's not very user-friendly. Maybe it is a free version but the app itself could not display most of the album artwork. I also needed quite some time to figure out where to locate the music folders. It really puts me off and prevents me to buy the full-functions app.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #8,375 of 15,897

All my pics are gone....here's one.

Attachments

• IMGP5772.JPG
    IMGP5772.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
May 1, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #8,376 of 15,897
Onkyo app does not have a folder view paid or not . It converts everything to PCM but will play DSD up to 11.2Mhz and 5.1 DSD and convert it to stereo.The Paid version will not do you any good on the Fiio X5iii till they get the USB out to work. I do us the one in the fiio store and it did update after I installed it.

May 1, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #8,377 of 15,897
Can the X5iii store tidal files for offline use on SD card? Thanks.

May 1, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #8,380 of 15,897
Thanks James! I can use both SD slots to maximise Tidal storage right, or just one?

I'm considering ordering one of these to replace the unreliable and bulky cable setup I use with my iPhone 7 Plus + Chord Mojo. I exclusively use offline streaming services - Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music. I expect I will switch over to Tidal Hifi.

May 1, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #8,381 of 15,897
Tidal stores offline music per default on the internal memory.
Per settings you can choose the first SD card for storage ...
There is no way to store offline content on the second SD card ...

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #8,382 of 15,897
Thanks for the clarification.

May 1, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #8,385 of 15,897

Thanks James! I can use both SD slots to maximise Tidal storage right, or just one?

I'm considering ordering one of these to replace the unreliable and bulky cable setup I use with my iPhone 7 Plus + Chord Mojo. I exclusively use offline streaming services - Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music. I expect I will switch over to Tidal Hifi.

Tidal stores offline music per default on the internal memory.
Per settings you can choose the first SD card for storage ...
There is no way to store offline content on the second SD card ...

Is the same true for Spotify and Apple Music? Are we able to store offline music on the internal memory (or maybe even on one of the SD cards)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back