Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 8, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #7,128 of 15,897
I think most who have tried both single ended and balanced on the X5III have stated that the difference is subtle, unlike some other DAPs.

Fair point. My view is that even of it's only 5-10% more enjoyment, then it's worth at least trying a balanced cable, otherwise what's the point of paying for a DAP that has the option. I appreciate there are other reasons for buying one DAP over another, but there are very good DAPs that are SE only, or things like the Chord Hugo and Mojo that don't offer the option.

Personally I can always tell the difference: balanced out on Glove A1 with my old AK120, or the Onkyo DP-X1, and now the X5iii.

For what it's worth, one of the deciding factors for me getting the ALO CDM, apart from liking the tube sound, was the balanced out (I was using it OTG with an IPhone originally, so I obviously got an improvement in SQ for a number of reasons, including the better DAC and tube sound, not just the balanced output; but I'm also enjoining using just the amp section of the CDM with balanced out with the FiiO).

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,130 of 15,897
  natural bass is way better as subwoover simply is a recipe for destryoing the sound quality

The only one that destroys the BASS is FIIO. What you call "NATURAL" is nothing more than "FLAT SOUNDS" flat sounds like FIIO MUSIC does. A TECHNO song is made with a blunt BASS sound, it has to be heard in the foreground, not in a final, linear plane as FIIO MUSIC does. I think that many do not listen to music TECHNO or you are very wrong with the BASS sound.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #7,131 of 15,897
Fair point. My view is that even of it's only 5-10% more enjoyment, then it's worth at least trying a balanced cable, otherwise what's the point of paying for a DAP that has the option. I appreciate there are other reasons for buying one DAP over another, but there are very good DAPs that are SE only, or things like the Chord Hugo and Mojo that don't offer the option.

Personally I can always tell the difference: balanced out on Glove A1 with my old AK120, or the Onkyo DP-X1, and now the X5iii.

For what it's worth, one of the deciding factors for me getting the ALO CDM, apart from liking the tube sound, was the balanced out (I was using it OTG with an IPhone originally, so I obviously got an improvement in SQ for a number of reasons, including the better DAC and tube sound, not just the balanced output; but I'm also enjoining using just the amp section of the CDM with balanced out with the FiiO).

To be fair I own some really sensitive earphone where balanced may not be optimal. Noise is an issue with the Andromeda as well as output impedance. I've been contemplating balanced but probably need to see if I can get one on loan before making the purchase.

I really wish I went to canjam a few months ago instead if being lazy..

@kasios it sounds like you need to look for another dap. This issues you have with the bass seems to be limited to a few people while the majority have no issues with the bass (myself included).

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7,132 of 15,897
  The only one that destroys the BASS is FIIO. What you call "NATURAL" is nothing more than "FLAT SOUNDS" flat sounds like FIIO MUSIC does. A TECHNO song is made with a blunt BASS sound, it has to be heard in the foreground, not in a final, linear plane as FIIO MUSIC does. I think that many do not listen to music TECHNO or you are very wrong with the BASS sound.

I get plenty bass from my Fiio X5III using my BeyerDynamic T50p, Dunu DN-2000 and Meze 99 Classics, listening to Drum & Bass, Trance, EDM where the bass is present.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #7,133 of 15,897

I get plenty bass from my Fiio X5III using my BeyerDynamic T50p, Dunu DN-2000 and Meze 99 Classics, listening to Drum & Bass, Trance, EDM where the bass is present.

You may get some bass, but yes, X5-iii sound is relatively light on bass compared to warmer DAPs.

It is very obvious when using other DAPs with AKM4490 (Cayin i5/N5 for example) or even LPG.
This would be my only gripe, although it can be easily  corrected using the Viper EQ.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #7,135 of 15,897
For those considering to buy Viper effects....

Viper Bass has extra settings besides a on-off

Viper tube simulator has no extra settings.

Viper analogX can select 3 levels of settings. Slight/Moderate/Extreme.

For me, Viper Bass has a bigger effect relatively compare to the other two.

is this version somehow better than the free one available on the viper4android main page? Also since Fiio has installed it/out the box and offered an advanced version of sorts, does it still downsample all audio to 48/44.1 kHz like viper4android v2.5.0.5

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #7,136 of 15,897

no i do don't listen to techno, but i have been using v4a for over 5 years and tested it extensively and with electronic, progressive rock, synthpop natural bass is the way to go

although to be honest i am using onky hf player and neutron more as they sound better to my ears with their eq

poweramp will have a huge update they will be including a parametric eq

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #7,137 of 15,897
  It's not cheap but now the X5 3d is shining. Natural bass, mids, highs and separations. Just getting a little bit closer to nirwana..........

What headphones are those? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,138 of 15,897
Apr 8, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #7,139 of 15,897

Oh yes 
biggrin.gif

Thank you!

I loved LCD-X 

I think I would love LCD - XC as well 
biggrin.gif

I would kindly disagree... I have a ton of headphones, and X5-3 has great bass with Meze 99 Classics and ie800. Meze 99 Neo as well! 

I mean this in kindness, trying another pair of headphones might help! 
tongue.gif

You may get some bass, but yes, X5-iii sound is relatively light on bass compared to warmer DAPs.

It is very obvious when using other DAPs with AKM4490 (Cayin i5/N5 for example) or even LPG.
This would be my only gripe, although it can be easily  corrected using the Viper EQ.

I wouldn't want a warmer DAP. I'm waiting to see what X7ii brings to the table 
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #7,140 of 15,897
Looks like the X5 3rd gens a winner. How does this stack up against the Mojo? Anyone done a comparison yet?

Yup. The X5-3 is good, but the Mojo has the upper hand in depth, timbre, and timing. I was listening just last night to the X5-3 and switched to the Mojo. The tonality is similar but the Mojo is the more capable device where the X5-3 is flatter with less nuance, but of course the X5-3 on its own is more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back