Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 17, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #256 of 15,897
Although i already switched to WM1A from X5II, this do looks interesting to me.

Its like almost every recent China New DAP is using AK4490.

If X5III specs already looks like this, how would X7II looks like? Will there be a X3III?

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #258 of 15,897
Not to be a Debbie downer here but given Fiio's recent track record for their DAP's on first release I have to temper my enthusiasm.   If you are a current X7 owner some still feel the unit is a work in progress with improvements needed.  If I was an X7 owner I would kind of feel like I was taken to the dance only to be dumped for a younger more attractive date with the X5-III coming out.  The X5-III seems to offer more for quite a bit less than the X7 and people are already talking about the X7-II.  

Then you have the X1-II which has been a less than stellar release so far and don't even bring up the M3.   I am not saying Fiio will stop working on these current DAP's but with the push now to get the X5-III ready for worldwide release early next year what resources are left to work on the current models?  

Yes I am excited about the new X5-III and like everyone else I want this to be a killer DAP.  But I must approach this DAP with trepidation until Fiio proves it has cleaned up its act releasing incomplete  and or buggy DAP's.  Fiio has come a long way in marketing their products but I still choose to ignore the hype as the proof is in the pudding.  Any DAP can look great on paper but execution is a whole other thing.  

There is a 10 hour stated battery life but if that is best case what will it drop to with bluetooth and wifi active?  

I will be waiting and watching the X5-III thread closely but I will not be an early purchaser.   I still want to see what Fiio has in store for the X3 gen 3 as I don't need all the features the X5 gen 3 offers and I would hope for slightly better battery life.  Give me the dual microsd slots, full LO functionality, bluetooth with Apt-X on the X3 gen 3 with 12 to 15 hours battery life for around $300.00 US and that would be fine for me.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #260 of 15,897
@fish1050 I think you bettet stick to Sony or AK given how much doubt you have with FiiO in the past, and your general dispease of having to wait for bugfix. Why trouble yourself for what you already know you can't accept?

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #261 of 15,897
@fish1050 I think you bettet stick to Sony or AK given how much doubt you have with FiiO in the past, and your general dispease of having to wait for bugfix. Why trouble yourself for what you already know you can't accept?
really..
15492458_1253788864715590_4291548473548460262_n.jpg

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #262 of 15,897
How big is the battery of this? 

3400mAh, 10 hour playback, 3.8V fast charging. 5 min on a fast charger gives 1 hr playback.

There is a boat load of information starting on page 5 and the following couple pages you can read from FiiO. The OP has updated the first post, but there is still plenty more information to be added so the same info isn't request over and over again.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #263 of 15,897
3400mAh, 10 hour playback, 3.8V fast charging. 5 min on a fast charger gives 1 hr playback.

There is a boat load of information starting on page 5 and the following couple pages you can read from FiiO. The OP has updated the first post, but there is still plenty more information to be added so the same info isn't request over and over again.

That's Fiio's answer to battery issue.
I would like to see more battery solutions on future DAPs. If able to, a solution that beat's SONY in battery life.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #264 of 15,897
I would like to see more battery solutions on future DAPs. If able to, a solution that beat's SONY in battery life.

Sony's answer is their SMaster chip setup with their class D amp, which is more efficient with much lower power output (but getting better). I'm not sure FiiO will go there.

Look at the Sony PHA-3, more power, third party chips, high power output, low battery life. You can't change physics, there's no magic with Sony DAPs battery, just low power output and efficient components.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #265 of 15,897

Because I still have hope that Fiio will change its ways and I would be interested in either the X5 gen 3 or the X3 gen 3 if it offers what I want for the price I want.  There is nothing wrong with waiting for firmware updates and a proven history of stability before spending my hard earned money.

Yes I am a current owner of a Sony A17 and so far I have been happy with it.  But it has shortcomings like lack of a proper LO implementation and it is over 2 years old. The other plus for me with my Sony A17 was better sound quality than the Fiio models available when I bought it in 2014.  But Sony seems to have maxed out the sound quality for the A series while Fiio continues to improve sound quality with each model.  Not to mention that with each new model the Sony A series gets more expensive and harder to buy in Canada.  Fiio on the other hand is now providing more bang for the buck with each new model and their products are readily available in Toronto at a fair price

But the one area Fiio still lags behind Sony is quality control and reliability.  Sorry but coming from a 2 year old Sony DAP which has never given me problems to purchasing a Fiio DAP with their checkered past for quality control I am still wary.  But this is the last hurdle that Fiio needs to get over to convert me for good.  My hope is that either the new X5 or X3 will be the model to do it,  Fingers crossed.  

I had hopes for the X1-II but it has to many issues and lacks Apt-X bluetooth.  My Sony A17 has LDAC bluetooth as does my Sony receiver so I get amazing bluetooth audio between them.  Any DAP that I buy needs to at least have Apt-X to get close for sound quality and the X5 gen 3 has it.  I could also see purchasing a Fiio Dock and bluetooth remote if I do get a Fiio DAP.

Kind of a long winded explanation but there it is.  

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #266 of 15,897
You either get long battery life with low performance or short battery life with high performance, can't have both for now unless someone can defy physics or completely reinvent the battery industry with some revolutionary technology.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #267 of 15,897
@fish1050 keep your Sony, then check back in 6 months... though more realistically speaking I think you are just looking for a Sony branded FiiO hardware with a Sony firmware priced at FiiO level, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. But one can always dream...

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #268 of 15,897

Sony's answer is their SMaster chip setup with their class D amp, which is more efficient with much lower power output (but getting better). I'm not sure FiiO will go there.

Look at the Sony PHA-3, more power, third party chips, high power output, low battery life. You can't change physics, there's no magic with Sony DAPs battery, just low power output and efficient components.

Yeah Sony's S-Master amp technology is proprietary and Sony spent a boat load of money and time developing it.  If you want battery life for about the same price the Cowon Plenue D offers 100 hours for mp3 and about 51 hours for 192 Khz/24 bit flac.  But like the Sony power output is lacking and some say it is artificial sounding to push you to use the 1000's of eq options and BBE to fix the sound.  Unfortunately Cowon is no longer sold in Canada and I will not buy one without hearing it first.  It also does not offer bluetooth or LO as far as I know and only has 32GB onboard and locked at 128 GB for microsd cards.  So if you need longer battery life be prepared to sacrifice some thing or things to get it.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #269 of 15,897
I would like to find out if the X5-III can be used if it is being charged via power outlet.  If you could for example use the wifi or bluetooth while running the unit off of AC power it should not drain the battery.  The ultimate would be if you could disengage the battery while using AC power so you could stream audio over bluetooth or wifi without running out of power.  This would also help prolong the battery life of the DAP.

Food for thought

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #270 of 15,897
Yeah Sony's S-Master amp technology is proprietary and Sony spent a boat load of money and time developing it.  If you want battery life for about the same price the Cowon Plenue D offers 100 hours for mp3 and about 51 hours for 192 Khz/24 bit flac.  But like the Sony power output is lacking and some say it is artificial sounding to push you to use the 1000's of eq options and BBE to fix the sound.  Unfortunately Cowon is no longer sold in Canada and I will not buy one without hearing it first.  It also does not offer bluetooth or LO as far as I know and only has 32GB onboard and locked at 128 GB for microsd cards.  So if you need longer battery life be prepared to sacrifice some thing or things to get it.

S-master is neither unique to Sony nor is it special in anyway. It is just a marketing term for Sony to describe what the rest of the audio world is referring as PWM (Pulse-width modulation) or class-D for the last few decades (most smartphome audio solution is PWM based). The only really special thing is that Sony is large enough a company that they can afford to make their own integrated PWM chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back