Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 17, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #226 of 15,897
First thing I'd like to say is thankyou to Fiio for continuing to push performance levels for DAP users with more sense than money.

EDIT: just seen a different angle photograph, which negates what I said earlier, about control buttons - apologies!

beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #230 of 15,897
I'll certainly get one - checks all the boxes for me. I travel every week, so I'm always using my X5ii for CIEMs, I use it in the car as my primary source now, and I used it recently at a mini-meet to connect directly to guy's rigs through coax to their DAC - enabling me to listen to my music through their rig - instead of carrying CDs or scrolling through their music files on their laptops.

So for me - there are a lot of uses for this device, and I love the updated styling. Great Job FiiO!!! 

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #235 of 15,897
so... X5 3rd has same dual DAC AK4490 chips as AK380($3500)?

It's understandable to find this confusing, since manufacturers have used the DAC chip has their major marketing tool for a while now. But in reality, they aren't as significant as one might think. Any of the "audiophile-grade" DACs over the last three years can sound as good, or better, than whichever one came out just last week, depending on their implementation/circuit architecture. Now a days they all do an amazing job rendering an honest recreation.

Why one DAP sounds better than another very often comes down to how much money the company invests in all the less marketable components. And of course, implementation, implementation, implementation. Utilizing the small real estate available in a DAP more efficiently than the other guy can win you the day.

Now, lets not kid ourselves. Astell&Kern products are overpriced. Everyone knows it. And yet, the fact they are overpriced does not mean there is no benefit to going with AK. They do offer more than FiiO does, generally speaking. Not only do find the sound better than any Cayin or FiiO product, even on my AK120ii, but the build quality is true luxury-tier. Cayin does a skillful job of faking luxury, much better than FiiO, but even they fall short of Astell&Kern. AK uses higher-grade materials, even in the chassis, because they know they'll make that money back 10-fold by pricing it as a "luxury item."

Not to mention, they offer SIGNIFICANTLY more Gigabytes of internal storage.

This is why I recommend folk buy used, if they're interested in Astell&Kern. It brings the price/performance ratio down to a more realistic level.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #236 of 15,897
Now, lets not kid ourselves. Astell&Kern products are overpriced. Everyone knows it. And yet, the fact they are overpriced does not mean there is no benefit to going with AK. They do offer more than FiiO does, generally speaking. Not only do find the sound better than any Cayin or FiiO product, even on my AK120ii, but the build quality is true luxury-tier. Cayin does a skillful job of faking luxury, much better than FiiO, but even they fall short of Astell&Kern. AK uses higher-grade materials, even in the chassis, because they know they'll make that money back 10-fold by pricing it as a "luxury item."

I wholeheartedly disagreed, especially when I listen to an AK with my eyes closed :wink:

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #239 of 15,897
Some branded other brand under theirs, charged user a lot and the workmanship is not that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back